Food ideas for party in park

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Box of Frogs

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

DD1 is turning 7 next week and we are having her party at the park. Apart from the cake, party pies, sausage rolls and little frankfurts (my mum insists), what other foods can you suggest?

I'm looking for easy to prepare, easy to transport and kid friendly - we do have an open ice bucket thing to keep food in and the party is at 10am so hopefully it won't be too hot.

Also, how much should I cater per child?

#2 ekbaby

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Sandwiches- ham and cheese, avacado or egg/mayo seem to hold together well, you can cut them into fingers. You can make the egg filling the day before.

Fruit platter/chopped up fruit in tupperware (watermelon, rockmelon etc)

Dip (hommus/tzaziki etc) with cracker and carrot/celery sticks- you can cut up the vegie sticks the day before and transport in snap lock bags.

#3 laridae

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Mini quiches, sandwiches, fairy bread, fruit platter, mini muffins (savory & sweet), chips, dips & crackers, cheese & cabana toothpicks, rainbow jelly cups (easy to make, get some clear plastic disposable cups, some disposable teaspoons, assorted colours of jelly make up a packet, pour a layer into cups, leave to set, then repeat with the other colours (just make sure the jelly is cool but not set before your pour it on), add the teaspoon about 1/2 way up the cup.)

I probably wouldn't do parties pies, sausage rolls and cocktail sausages unless you have a way to heat them up as they aren't very nice cold.  I'd stick to food that doesn't need to be warm.

For my DD's party (13 kids,13 adults) I did 24 mini quiches (patty cake pan size). 24 savoury muffins, 24 sweet muffins,   1 plate sandwiches, 3 packets of chips, 2 dips with 1 packet of crackers, 1 stick of cabana with approx. the same amount of cheese squares,  1 fruit platter cut up (bunch of grapes, 1 kiwifruit, 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 mandarin, 1 orange, 1 banana, 1 punnet strawberries, 1 punnet blueberries, 1 cut piece of watermelon), 24 jelly cups (I think - it was however many was in the pack).

Most of the food got eaten, I was left with some muffins, mini quiches and a couple of jelly cups.  And most of the dip, even though  the crackers all went.

Edited by laridae, 06 November 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#4 lizzzard

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

We did DD's 6th birthday in a park last year and I made up little 'lunch bags' which were a real hit with the kids, and were also easy to transport and clean up. I used large size paper bags clipped with a decorated peg (decorated like butterflies) and put a variety of things inside - several finger sandwiches, a mini quiche, a mini muffin, a chocolate-covered strawberry and a little bag of lollies. We had a big fruit platter, drinks and food for the parents as well...but for the kids, the lunch bags worked really well :)

#5 iheartu

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

Pikelets with sprinkles/Nutella
Popcorn
Jelly cups
Fruit platter
Teacups (http://planningwithk...a-cup-biscuits/)
Racing cars (http://m.kidspot.com...recipe 3772.htm)
Cake pops or cookie pops

#6 Box of Frogs

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I love the idea of the lunch bags - what a great idea!!!!

#7 Kafkaesque

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

My SIL recently did a park party and each kid got a box, think $2 gift boxes a bit smaller than shoe box, which had a sausage roll and quiche as well as a sandwich, juice box and small packet of chips and party favours.  Everything was in the box so all rubbish went back in boxes which kids took home as it was the "party bag" as well.  Worked really well with no mess.

The sausage rolls and quiche were home made and were delicious cold well room temp by the time they were eaten.

#8 Let-it-go

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Love the lunch bag idea.  Nothing grosser than watching a bunch of small kids shove their filthy playground hands into platters of share foods.  They ALL double dip too.  Always puts me off eating I have to confess!

I dont think there is anything wrong with hot food.  Everyone loves a good homemade sausage roll!  I actually find things like cheese, dip and pate go pretty yuk very quickly.

#9 Karen_H

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I think nothing will beat hotdogs and marshmallows at any party plus freshly grilled BBQ! :D Colorful cupcakes will also attract kids eyes as well as cotton candy! :D

#10 Blossom11

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm doing a park party and wish I had thought of the lunch pack. That would have been a great idea and I'm thinking how I can do this with the stuff I have already bought.

I'm doing 2 packets of chips, mixed lollies, pizza shapes, popcorn, decorate your own cupcake with little cupcakes, sandwiches - basic fairy and ham/cheese, fruit, and poppers.  I will have water on hand.

In the past I have overcatered and had to chuck a lot of stuff out so I'm going with the basics.

We have a pinata which will double as the party bags.

#11 bark

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'll be doing a sausage sizzle.

Will also have:
chips
popcorn
lolly jars
poppers/bottled water
fruit tray
fairy bread
biscuits
cupcakes
birthday cake

I think thats enough.

I wouldnt do party pies but definately sausage rolls!

#12 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Sausage sizzle.

that's what we have had the past 4 years for ds's birthday very easy and quick to do.

then just the usual lollies chips cake to snack on while the meats getting cooked.

#13 MarsBarSlice

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

I love the idea of a lunch bag or box as well.  I'm going to try and incorporate this into DS1's 5th birthday party in a few weeks.  We were just going to have the standard party food like chips, lollies, tiny teddies. I was also going to make some racing cars and tea cups and arrowroot faces.  It's an after lunch party at an indoor centre so not much food will be required as they have already had lunch at home and then running around for an hour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.