Post baby diet, exercise and weight loss

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Beancat

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi Everyone

I am starting a thread on diet and exercise post baby.  I hope this becomes a place where we can support each other to improve our eating habits and increase our exercise.

I have put on weight since I had Zoe.  I am now 12kg heavier than when I got pregnant and a total of about 20kg overwwight.  My current problem is I am not in the right frame of mind.  I seem to want a quick fix and wont make the time to do exercise.  I also find it hard to control my portion sizes and avoid bad high carb high GI snacks around 3-4pm.

I do however do a couple of things well.  I eat breakfast everyday day - special k and light milk and I always have a pretty good morning tea if I have one (apple, banana or yoghurt) and a pretty good lunch.  Today for example I had whole grain toast with baked beans, a bit of grated cheese and an apple.  I also dont drink fruit juice or soft drink (but do drink wine).

I am going to set myself a goal of going for a walk 4 times this week.  When I exercise I tend to eat better

So what are you tips?  What do you struggle with?

#2 PattiODoors

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'll join you!
I weighed in yesterday at 58kg ( I am on the short side). My pre baby weight was 48-50kg. I'm looking at getting to around 52kg but I'll aim for 54kg by Christmas.

I eat fairly healthy but my downfall are carbs. I love my bread, rice and potatoes. But thankfully I don't like pasta.
I also love a wine or three.

What I have been doing lately is eating a main meal at lunch instead of dinner. I started this as the kids eat a big hot lunch at daycare then we have a light dinner when we get home. The kids go to daycare three days a week when I work so we continue this routine at home.
If I have a big lunch, I'm less likely to pick in the afternoon.

For example, we had chicken, noodles and Asian greens for lunch today.
We've just had tuna, eggs and salad for dinner. The kids had cous cous with theirs. I didn't.

Exercise- I don't have the car during the week so my exercise is walking everywhere with the kids.
I have a 3yo and an 18mo.
It's quite hilly where we live so pushing the double stroller can be a workout in itself in the heat.

ETA- whoops! Just realised this is May 2013 group, my DS was born in May 2012.
Can I still join you!

Edited by hayzee fantayzee, 08 November 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Ill join. I have no motivation, struggling with a 6 month plus who wakes 3 times durning the night. I'm the opposite my dinner is normal ok but I struggle to eat well durning the day because I am tired and gorging on sweets and carbs.

#4 Jo-Anna

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

I will join in too.  I am 66 hoping to get back to 61-62kgs. I struggle with binging on sweets when tired/stressed. Hoping to eat a better all round diet and walk most days (when it eventually stops with all the rain!)

#5 Tropic of Mama

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Can I join? My daughter was born on 29 April so nearly May. I weighed 58kg pre baby now I weigh 68kg, so 10 to lose. The reason I clicked on this thread is I'm still breast feeding so I'm not sure what I can do re diet/exercise. I also live in FNQ and exercising here gets me so sweaty, makes feeding sticky and yuk afterwards. That's my excuse for not doing it and eating whatever I want.........

#6 axiomae

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

OP, your high carb afternoon snacks are probably a result of the sugar crash you would be having from your morning food. Special K is all sugar - there is no nutrition there. Fruit, while good for you, also is sugar that spikes your blood levels. Maybe try switching up your breakfast with some protein - eggs, yoghurt, ham/bacon. You'll probably find you're fuller for longer and won't need to snack.

#7 Beancat

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hayzee fantayzee and tropic mamma - of course you can both join!!! The more the better.

Axiomae - ok, this sounds like a good idea to try.  I absolutely detest eggs (I wish I didnt), so what would some good alternatives be?  A friend wo has lost 28kg by eating full fat and cut out sugar suggested things like avocado and feta on sour dough, bacon (as you suggested) or even baked beans.  How does this sound?  My sister said even swapping the special K for weet bix would be an improvement.

Ok, my stats.  I am fat, quite fat.  I am 171cm tall and 96kg (was 89 three months ago) and 103cm around my waist.  Alot of my weight is sitting on my tummy which is the worst kind of fat from a health perspective.

Even though I am fat, I am not exactly unfit.  I can easily walk 5-6km in a reasonable time.  

My big achievement for today is I started C25K.  It was easy. I'll keep posting how I go.  My net planned run is on Monday. Jo-anna - I have joined at Envie - is that where you are going?

#8 PattiODoors

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Ah, thanks for letting me stay!

Well, I've decided to try My Fitness Pal app on my phone to help me lose those 4kg. I've started today and I'm on a 1400 kcal limit.
Oh my days, it's hard. I didn't realise how much I pack away. I reckon I've been eating twice that much and mainly through munching the kids leftovers and going into the fridge for a Freddo Frog as I pass.
Anyway, today, there has been no picking. I've just had a small bowl of chicken casserole for dinner ( I ate my main meal at lunch)  and I'm using up the rest of my cals with a gin and tonic.
Not much in the way of exercise today, apart from running after kids.

#9 Mrs Jay Kay

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm a big fan of My Fitness Pal. It's a massive help in learning where your calorie consumption is coming from.

I'm 173cm tall. My 3rd baby was born Feb 2012. I went back to my pre pregnancy weight of 84kg about 6 weeks after delivery. I'm now 68.5kg with a few more to go. I haven't exercised at all. A couple of health issues have made it difficult.

I also cook our family meals from the Tony Ferguson cookbooks. The kids eat most of what I cook. I also eat chickpeas nearly every lunchtime as I find it stops the afternoon energy slump when I'd normally be reaching for a quick sugary fix.

#10 BeakyHoneyButt

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostTropic of mama, on 08 November 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Can I join? My daughter was born on 29 April so nearly May. I weighed 58kg pre baby now I weigh 68kg, so 10 to lose. The reason I clicked on this thread is I'm still breast feeding so I'm not sure what I can do re diet/exercise. I also live in FNQ and exercising here gets me so sweaty, makes feeding sticky and yuk afterwards. That's my excuse for not doing it and eating whatever I want.........

#11 BeakyHoneyButt

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

You sound a lot like me, I was 67 kgs after I had baby, 63.5 now and only 5ft 4. But although BF helps to lose weight it limits you in diet because I just get so hungry!
I have 2 older girls and work too so finding the time to exercise is tricky.

#12 Tropic of Mama

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Im 5ft 9in, but I carry my weight on my butt, it's not evenly spread. I hear you on the hunger foxgirls, baby still feeds every couple of hours during the day and if I don't eat enough I get nauseous. My concession to weight watching today was to have just half a cherry ripe tonight, instead of a whole one. Okay that has more to do with the fact that chocolate doesn't agree with my LO but whatever works. Does an infant swimming lesson count as exercise?.....

#13 RunDMC

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi All,

Beancat I think I mentioned in our dig that I recently gave up sugar, read the book sweet poison. It's been about 6 weeks and I have stopped craving sugar. I did over eat the first few weeks to compensate for the cravings but I have found I now feel that full feeling and stop. I have just started to lose weight.

I have also joined curves which is basically a weight circuit which you can join at any time and takes 30 mins. They are also happy for me to bring DS 3.5 who sits and watches an itouch and superbaby (5.5 months) who sits in a walker. I have placed her near the sit up section so I do sit ups next to her (peekaboo) when she grisles.

Plus I have ditched the pram and put superbaby into the bjorn wherever I go - she weighs in at around 9 kg, so I am hoping the incidental exercise helps.

173cm, 87 kg
I want to be 65kg, which I haven't been for about 5 years.

#14 nic_j_r

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

I would love to join in as well.

Been following along in the DIG just not a regular poster - more a stalker i guess.

I too have about 12kg to loose to get back to pre pregnancy weight. Very annoyed with myself as after i had DD the weight was falling off and i only had 6 or so to loose, then over the past 5 months it was just creeping back on. Lack of sleep, poor eating, and problems with my thyroid are all not helping.

Finally now DD is 5 1/2 months i have had enough and decided it is time to fix this. I have been very active with walking since she was born, but i was a big exerciser before pregnancy and find walking so boring. So while it was good for the first few months i struggle to find the motivation to go for the long 2 hr walks now, also with DD begin a bit older she doesn't sleep in the pram like she used to.

I have decided to join a cross fit type gym and starting tomorrow, so this post was perfect timing. I think i need something new to motivate me.

Going to put out a comment that i may not go down to well - but i am also currently breastfeeding, and unlike the so many stories i read i have found it is not helping at all with weightloss. The hunger levels are ridiculous, i have a very healthy supply so it really is a barrier to exercise as i can only comfortably exercise after a feed - so can't get out in the morning until after i feed DD which makes timing bad with hubby and when he is home at night i am still trying to coordinate with feeding etc.

I am contemplating after 6 months swapping to formula - i feel it is time to focus on me a bit more and loose the weight before it really sticks. But i am really torn on the decision as she is a great healthy bub with no issues, am i just messing with what works for the sake of potential faster weightless?? Any thoughts from others that may have been in a similar mind frame.

#15 RunDMC

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hi nic, I understand your BF dilemma, superbaby is in the 98 percentile, I contemplated swapping to formula but with the complication of starting of solids I suppose I did not need the added mess of formula. At this point BF is so fast, easy (and cheap) for us.

It does mean that I am crossing my arms over my breasts for extra support on the high impact  exercises.

Can you express before you go?

6 months is a great BF accomplishment, don't feel stressed if you need to change to formula

#16 Jo-Anna

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostBeancat, on 09 November 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Hayzee fantayzee and tropic mamma - of course you can both join!!! The more the better.

Axiomae - ok, this sounds like a good idea to try.  I absolutely detest eggs (I wish I didnt), so what would some good alternatives be?  A friend wo has lost 28kg by eating full fat and cut out sugar suggested things like avocado and feta on sour dough, bacon (as you suggested) or even baked beans.  How does this sound?  My sister said even swapping the special K for weet bix would be an improvement.

Ok, my stats.  I am fat, quite fat.  I am 171cm tall and 96kg (was 89 three months ago) and 103cm around my waist.  Alot of my weight is sitting on my tummy which is the worst kind of fat from a health perspective.

Even though I am fat, I am not exactly unfit.  I can easily walk 5-6km in a reasonable time.  

My big achievement for today is I started C25K.  It was easy. I'll keep posting how I go.  My net planned run is on Monday. Jo-anna - I have joined at Envie - is that where you are going?
Yep I joined envie. TBH I'm thinking of switching to the new 24/7 one opening near cellarbrations. It's cheaper and is more my style. How are you finding it so far?

#17 blueone

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

also joining. DD now a week off 6 months. was 66kg the day she was born - currently 56.5kg, want to get back to 52kg (pre baby weight). so 4.5kg to go. everything was on track and i was down to 55kg but for some reason the last month i have started gaining back weight..... :ninja:
for this reason, like a few of you i have sort of thought about introducing formula but then i just feel really guilty.... and keep breastfeeding........
i have not been someone who has easily lost weight breastfeeding. i have been on a very very low carb diet since she was born and that has helped with the initial weight loss but not anymore...
i walk about an hour/day with her in the ergobaby - but that it my only exercise presently..

so plan now is to try and calorie count a bit and see if that helps moves the last 4kg..

#18 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'm in too Beancat,
As the may 2013 girls know, before baby I weighed 75 and was working on dropping to anywhere between 65 and 70 when I fell pregnant, during the pregnancy I was in a very good mindset, I was really strict as to not over eat and only ate really well because of the baby, at the end of the pregnancy I weighed 89 so put on 14kg, lost About 9 when she was born, I'm currently 82.

Starting this week I intend on walking about 7km five times a week pending the weather. I have 3 weetbix with light milk every morning for breakfast and a cup of tea if I'm still Hungary, a banana for morning tea and sandwich for lunch then dinner lots of vege then either meat or chicken, some nights a stir fry, I have tried to reduce my carb intake as well, I hope that I see results this time every other time I've tried I feel good but never seem to drop any weight

#19 purple_daisy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

To those who are breastfeeding and feel restricted on diet/exercise this was my experience with DD1. When she started to rely more on solids and drank less milk from me I started packing on weight as I kept eating the same portion sizes, kept the same minimal exercise and DD1 wasn't drinking all my calories for me anymore. I ballooned about 8kg in three months. So if you are considering introducing formula, my advice would be to already have some self control on your eating habits and have an exercise plan that you are committed to eg because you've already paid for the gym membership or you have a friend going through it with you.

Like another in our DIG I have been losing weight through a restricted diet thanks to DD2 being allergic to all forms of dairy, and intolerant to soy and we've recently discovered a mild intolerance to egg as well. Believe me there isn't much in the junk food aisles with those restrictions! I'm now several kgs lighter than I was in 2010 but am still in the overweight category so would like to lose another 6kg to bring me into a healthy range.

I'm going to try getting out with DD2 in the carrier most days but this week is going to be very wet here and on sunny days we have swooping magpies everywhere which makes it tough.

#20 Beancat

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Right am doing well so far.  Started c25k on Sunday and yesterday did a 7km walk.  Have eaten really well the last couple of days and have not had any wine.

Scales say I have lost a 1.0kg in 3 days (this is possible), but also got period today so my weight my be even less.  I seem to carry 1-2kg in the week before.  So will weight myself again in a couple of weeks

Bought myself a new pair of ASICS yesterday on sale at Rebel.  Cant wait to try them on.  Also won a brand new pair of country road wedges for $49 plus $14 postage yesterday (RRP $149) so pretty happy with that too.  I love buying shoes - it doesnt matter how fat you are!

Yesterday ate more protein at lunch on advice from a PP - had a BLT.  Forgot how yummy they are and really healthy if you use short cut bacon.  I think it helped by mid afternoon snack craving

#21 purple_daisy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well done Beancat, new shoes are such a good encouragement aren't they? Keep it up!

RunDMC can I ask how much curves costs? Can you book up for a month or three months or do you have to commit to the year? I looked up their website but can only find something called Curves Complete which is nutrition and PT as well which I don't want since I am on a very restricted diet already and was more interested in just doing the half hour thing you described. Do you have to be there for a set start time eg 10, 10:30, 11 or is the idea to just rock up anytime and it takes you half an hour to do their circuit? Do they give you advice on how to use the weight machines as I've always just been a treadmill and rowing machine girl.

#22 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Well because of the rain I could not go walking but sat and Sunday walked 3-3.5 Kms  and will pick up the 7 Kms when the rain stops, sometime this week. So today I've only had my weetbix with light milk a cup of tea, this was at 6 at 1045 I had one salada with vegemite and cheese thinking I might have egg for lunch and chicken for tea.

#23 PattiODoors

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm on day 3 of doing My Fitness Pal. I'm actually allowed 1200 kcals not 1400 kcal as I first thought...lol.

I'm struggling a bit today. The weather is rain, rain, rain here so not good walking and park weather with kidlets. Also my 18mo DS has got some big back teeth coming through, he was up and grizzly from midnight till 4am so I'm also knackered. Also the boredom makes for going in the kitchen to look for things.
I made gingerbread men with the kids this morning for something to do. Kids ate them for their morning tea and I had one too. We had a 'picnic' on the lounge floor. Unfortunately, the remainder of the gingerbread men are winking at me every time I walk past them 'eat me Hayzee, I go nice with a cup of tea!'

Hoping the rain stops after DS has had his nap so we can get our gumboots on and go jumping in muddy puddles.

Am working for the remainder of this week so probably won't check in till Saturday now.
Shouldn't be a problem keeping a check on the kcals at work unless someone brings in some yummy morning tea treats.
I'm weighing myself on Thursday on the work scales.

Have a great week everybody.

#24 shemozzle1

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

Deleted post as I didnt realise was the May Group

Edited by lethal, 11 November 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#25 RunDMC

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hi purple, it is frustrating that Curves do not put prices on their website, I think it because they are slightly different at each location. They have several plans, I am on a higher rate as I am on a month to month plan - I was not sure how I would handle the 2 kids so I did not want to be locked in. its about $20/25 a week from memory? I try to go 3 times a week. I have found it to be great, they do a weigh, measure, blood pressure, health survey and goal setting to begin with. Then they run the circuit with you 3 times to make sure you are doing it right and set your weights. They also have some classes -abs and thigh etc. there is always an instructor on the floor for inspiration or help. I think that you do a weigh in, measure and goal check every 6 to 8 weeks.

The best part is that it is a continual circuit, there is a beep every 45 secs to change machines or exercises, so you can turn up any time and just start.

Purple, wow I can't believe that you have had such a change to your diet for BF, do you think you will keep it up when you finish BF, are you feeling good (apart from tired and sleepy due to baby) or are you hankering for some of your old ways?

Hayzee, we made shortbread cookies....I had to put the in the freezer to stop them calling me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.