Post baby diet, exercise and weight loss

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 purple_daisy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hayzee why don't you count how many biscuits there are then email/text it to your DH and get him to count when he gets home. It sounds totally stupid, but I always find it stops me gorging on the whole container if I know my DH will know how many I've had! I also second Run's suggestion of the freezer, preferably hide them behind packs of frozen veg.

Run thanks for the info on curves I'll look into our local one. I can't believe how different my diet is now either, especially as my favourite foods used to be ice cream, peppermint chocolate and anything with copious amounts of gooey melted cheese on it (seriously I think I had a cheese addiction!). The first few weeks I struggled, but then someone encouraged me to see it positively and think of how much I could still eat and that positive outlook, combined with the weightloss (over 5kg in 2 months) means I don't mind it now. I do actually feel a bit better, even if I occasionally look at that bottle of DH's milk in the fridge and wish for a glass. I'll keep BFing until at least 12 months but once I've weaned I will reintroduce dairy into my diet as I loathe taking calcium tablets and rice milk is not that tasty.

My tip for easy exercise today is to put on wiggles music and get your LO up for "dance lesson" time. I've done this the past few days with my 2 y.o and she loves it so I end up "dancing" for at least ten minutes - two or three times a day, it has to be burning some calories I think and it doesn't matter if it is raining outside :)

#27 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

So I got in a 5km walk this morning before it rained, so I'm happy with that for today.

#28 blueone

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

started using myfitness pal and was horrified to find that my 'healthy snack' of a handful (10ish) walnuts has 260 calories!!!!

i have to stop buying nuts as i snack on them all day...

#29 purple_daisy

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

For those on my fitness pal watching calories my tip would be to try ForMe Strawberry yoghurt. When I was calorie counting pre-pg I was impressed that it only had about 69 calories for a normal tasting yoghurt compared with 100+ for other brands that added sugars.

I'm off to push the kids around our lake this morning (over 7km) so that will be my exercise for the day! I'm weighing in on the 24th, which I do each month, and really hoping for a nice number so that motivates me to keep getting fresh air and walking when possible. Well done Autumn on all your exercise - you should join MFP if you haven't already as you friends can see a daily tally of your exercise and push you to do more!

#30 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thanks purple I will have a sticky beak

#31 Beancat

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Day 3 of  c25k tomorrow then week 1 done. 2kg down today:). 19 to go :(.  Big wins so far this week.....stopping at one mini cupcake, no wine, exercising and no 3pm binges yet

#32 muffin87

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hi I had my first baby in April. There doesn't seem to be an April group and I would love support and be able to discuss post baby weight loss while I start to lose my extra 10kg. Can I please join?

#33 SFML

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hi everyone
I started 12wbt again this week, today is day 4.  Exercising on work days is a bit of a challenge but getting there, up at 6am yesterday morning and exercised and showered to take over little miss from hubby at 7:15.  He gave her morning bottle to her and she sat there and laughed at me attempting to keep up with the exercise video on the ipad ;-)
I am behaving really well so far on the restricted calories of 1200 but constantly starving, will take a little while to get used to position control I dare say.  On the upside drinking a lot of herbal tea again as calorie free and something with flavour to distract from the hunger and cravings.  I keep half a dozen or more flavours in the house to satiate different cravings.
Home day today so shall do my workout at miss' middày sleep and then take her for a walk later this afternoon.
I would highly suggest calorie counting in terms of researching some good snacks.  I would also suggest not ditching the carbs but watch when you eat them, ditching them all together leads to cravings and binging I find.  Eat them in the morning or at lunch.  We need to eat grains and cereals anyway it's just a matter of eating them in moderation and the right type.
Welcome muffin!  Some of our May mums are actually April mums anyway due to changes in due dates / early deliveries :)
Good luck with a successful Thursday everyone

#34 Beancat

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

HI all

SFML - re about not completely ditching the carbs.  I really need them for breakfast and lunch but I seem to able to ditch them at dinner time.  How do you find 12WBT?  Sounds like you have done it before?  I have always wondered about the 1200 calories for everyone regardless of starting weight.  There is absolutely no way I could survive on 1200 calories a day.  I would end up binging for sure.  How many days a week are you working?  Are you managing to get the 6 hours of exercise in a week?

I did day 3 of week 1 c25k today and smashed it!  On my last 60 second jog I felt so good I kept going for 5m30s.  Ive got to take this easy though and not get too excited or I am going to completely stuff my knees.  Im too heavy to run too far yet.  

So far I am on day 6 of my eating/exercise plan.  I hate it when people bring food around!!! argh  A friend came over and bought a sponge cake.  I had a small piece and took the cream out.  Surely that cannot be too bad, given the only other things I have had today are breakfast cereal, small skinny latte, a banana and turkey sandwhich.

How do you all politely decline food?  I just cannot say no

#35 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

So nothing for me today or yesterday, they have been big days so back into it tomorrow, I'm still eating well and have lost two kgs so hopefully more by next week.

#36 Beancat

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

2kg loss is great Autumn Baby :)

Forgot to say have not had a wine for 6 days now either.

Also meant to ask - what are eveyone's plans for staying on track on the lead up to Christmas?  We already have about 8 functions booked in the next 6 weeks.  I will offer to drive to a few then I cant drink - I have one particular friend you cant seem to cope if I wont have a glass of wine with her.  She just keeps pushing and pushing.  The only time she will let it go is when I am driving.  I have even lied before and said I have a hangover and couldnt possibly have face a wine.

Not sure what I'll do about the party food.  Its a huge weakness for me.  I'll have something filling before I go (A personal trainer once told me to have a salad and humus sandwhich on whole grain - its definitely filling).

Anyone else got any party food strategies?

#37 SFML

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hey beancat
Yes I started it just prior to falling pregnant with miss and did it for about 4 weeks and stuck to it rather well.  I need a set plan to follow and this one lets me switch meals out from the menu if I don't like the option which also works for me as I'm fussy.  I'm only working two days in the office so only two days that the exercise is trickier, else I'm working at home so today I worked out at lunch time when miss napped and ate lunch afterwards.  You also get one treat meal a week so even though it's a set day I use that for my weekly outing for wine etc and still try to behave on the food front.  Eat something healthy before I go, alternate drinks with soda water that kinda thing.  
My other strategy is to exercise each day even if it's a half workout or something like a walk or stretching, just anything is better than nothing.  If necessary I switch out my rest day.
2kg already autumn.  That's fantastic!  
I'm a bit envious you can jog beancat.  Such an effective weight loss method.  I've only ever been a speed walker - far too uncoordinated to jog!

#38 purple_daisy

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Beancat well done on the restraint with wine and the c25k so far, I always think jogging is the best exercise as you lose weight so quickly!

My strategies for festive season:
- Weigh myself the morning of a party/get together and congratulate myself on how much weight I have lost so far and mentally remind myself that I just have to keep up the good eating tonight so I don't undo it all
- Eat a sandwich before a party
- Take a bottle of a soda based drink eg those lime in soda water ones and constantly have a glass of that in my hand
- If a buffet, get a bread and butter sized plate so I can't over indulge
- Offer to take a plate for dessert and make it a fruit platter then restrict yourself to it even if there are other puddings etc
- Either/or: You can either have some appertisers before the main OR dessert after, NOT BOTH.

Re people bringing food over I just say that is so nice of you but I'm trying so very hard to lose the baby weight and you'd be doing me a huge favour if you took the rest of this home, I won't take no for an answer. If said with a smile nobody ever gets offended.

SFML how do you find the 12WBT affects your grocery bill with your DH eating something different? Would it be possible to use the menu plan for him and a toddler if necessary? Is it quite a costly style of eating?

I am hoping to get the inspiration to go walking today. I just find it so difficult to get motivated when I'm tired, DD2 is screaming about being put down despite being super tired, and I know she'll have a catnap in the pram then be out of kilter for the day. My monthly weigh in is in 9 days - must motivate myself somehow...... sleep deprivation is such a nasty thing though. At least when I went to the shops yesterday I resisted the urge to buy chips as I was tired and would have scoffed them all. So for another day my only snack food in the house is pre-sliced rockmelon or some peanuts.

#39 SFML

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hi purple I've noticed no change to my grocery bill.  A lot of the pantry items we already had and hubby is eating the same dinners as me I just give him more or add something if need be - last night he had feta and extra goodies on his salad and declined the offer of potato to go with.  We already ate very similar food it's mainly portion control for me and culling dairy and wine that are the differences.  We only have little miss so she is just on fruit and veggies and baby rice cereal.  Also buy her full fat yoghurt.

#40 purple_daisy

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

So after singing the praises of My Fitness Pal I have decided to re-join it just to see how I am tracking with portion control and calories in vs out. I'm not going crazy since I am still breastfeeding but it would be nice to get an idea of how my calorie intake is. So can those who are on it please add me as a friend? My name is purple_daisyfromEB I'd love to have some friends on there too.

#41 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ok so is jogging the best the best way to lose weight, I have always wondered?

#42 SFML

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

Apparently yes, burns a lot of calories Autumn
Well I only walked yesterday instead of working out but have worked out for an hour this morning during Lil miss' nap time and today is treat meal day and I'm out for lunch with friends baby free - helloooo wine my old friend :)

#43 RunDMC

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Have completely fallen off the wagon :-(

Yesterday - 1 large bag of sour cream and onion chips, burger with the lot and hot chips, chocolate biscuits

Today - 1 box of chocolate ball thingys, 2 minute noodles

Just too tired and want a break from being with the kids 24/7. DH gone golfing all day...after camping with the boys all last weekend = emotional eating

Going to tell DH that I need a child free day tomorrow (except for 5 x BF) think I will get my haircut and toenails done, have a lovely lunch then start again on Monday

#44 purple_daisy

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

SFML thanks for the info on the 12WBT. I might look into it next year, or once DD2 is weaned.

Run Did your DH understand your need for some support and child free time? I hope so. It is very challenging when it feels like men can continue living their lives normally while you are breastfeeding at home. I hope you had a lovely time getting your hair done :)

AFM This weekend I've eaten terribly as I have a whammy of a head cold and cough. I've spent the whole day in bed with a box of tissues and only got up to eat chinese takeaway for lunch! (I also sent DH out for KFC yesterday as I didn't feel up to cooking). Weigh in next Sunday.... oh dear. I'm hoping the 3x5km walks I did this week will stand me in good stead.

DH bought me a copy of Runner's World to read in bed and inspire me, bless him! I used to be really into running when we met (was in a half marathon training group and about 10kg lighter) and I am wondering if it could be possible to get back into running now I have kids. How do you ladies juggle exercise with little ones who need you all the time?

#45 PattiODoors

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hey purple daisy, will add you on MFP.

Well, I've had some horrible cold bug thing, aching all over, banging headache, shivering etc over the weekend so I didn't really pay much attention to what I ate. DP grabbed some Thai takeout on Saturday, it was delicious and spicy but probably loaded in calories.

I did haul the kidlets out for a walk in the rain this morning. The first morning I've woken feeling semi ok.  We all had cabin fever being holed up all weekend in this dreary Sydney weather. We all put on gumboots and waterproofs and got out there.

Purple daisy- exercise and little ones...
The local Fitness First has a creche attached that costs $5 per hour, per child. We have a load of expenses coming out from now till Feb but I'm thinking of joining after Feb and using the creche for my two while I go to the gym. Although to be honest, I'm not a big gym fan. I prefer running around outdoors or playing Oztag. The only snag is there, I have no one to mind the kids, DP works irregular, long hours so unable to commit to Oztag. My family live in the UK and DP's family, live locally but have other commitments. It's very tricky.
My current exercise is mainly walking with the stroller and playing in the park with the kids. Also I find since having a 3yo and 18mo, I rarely sit down anyway. Going to work is my sit down and rest!
I love pp's idea of dancing to the Wiggles with the little ones for exercise. I'm going to practice a bit of that and strut my funky stuff at the Wiggles concert we are going to in December!

Oh, bit of a swizz last week... we had a brand new, all singing, all dancing weighing scales delivered to work. It weighs, measures BMI, tells you your fat content, reads your mind, reports back to the boss (ok, maybe not the last two). Anyway, after it was calibrated, I hopped on. I'm 59.1kg not 58kg as I first thought! So I've plucked an extra kilo out of thin air to lose.
I haven't tried the BMI or fat content yet ( I don't know if I bloody want to) because I'm waiting for someone to read the manual so we know how to do it.
I'm not good at reading manuals...

#46 purple_daisy

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hi Hayzee thanks for adding me on mfp, it is nice to know I'm not just entering info without any accountability. Sorry to hear about that extra kilo but let's hope the BMI function and fat content results are more positive once you can use them.

I've decided the best way to force myself to exercise is to have a goal, so I'm going to enter myself in the 10km run at the Mother's Classic in May next year. :omg2:  Early bird entries open in a fortnight and that will give me 6 months to go from a pram pushing slightly overweight walker to a jogger! Between my girls it took me 2 months to build from a walker to a 5km jogger so hopefully entering a race will inspire me to prioritise exercise over tv once DD starts sleeping better. I've asked DH to take a "before" picture of me today and then an "after" after the race and hopefully it will show a nice change.

How are all you other lovely ladies faring with diet and exercise this week?

#47 SFML

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Exercise has slowed some here purple (already) but am managing to stick strictly to the eating plan.  Weigh in day tomorrow so fingers crossed I see some sort of drop!

#48 SFML

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

Weigh in day for me.  I've lost 1.4kg since I started last Monday.  Very happy with that :)

#49 PattiODoors

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostSFML, on 20 November 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Weigh in day for me.  I've lost 1.4kg since I started last Monday.  Very happy with that :)

Woo hoo! Congratulations!
My weigh in is Thursday. Although (see my post above regarding the new work scales), I'm hoping to be what I thought I was.

#50 purple_daisy

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

SFML well done!! Are you going to get one of those weight loss tickers from lilypie so you see your great results each time you post?

Good luck tomorrow hayzee, I'm up on Sunday morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.