Would it bother you? DD's kinder class of mostly boys

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Almond milk shake

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I am just after some other peoples perspective on this situation.  DD starts kinder next year, and we have been given her class list.  There are 25 children and 19 of them are boys.  I know there is not much I can do about it, I can't help but wish there were more balance to it. I have no problem with her being friends with boys of course, but I feel like her friendships will be limited because of this, as she currently attends the three year old program and only plays with the girls there.

Have you had experiences like this and how did your daughter cope?

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

I've not had this experience with a daughter, but in my DS2's year there has always been a much larger number of girls than boys. I think there are 60-odd kids in the year group in total, only 17 boys.

It hasn't been a problem at all. My boy copes fine, and I'm sure your DD will too.

#3 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

DS2's class this year had 21 children and only 7 girls.  The other class is the same.  I have no concerns for DD who starts next year - if it works out the same, that's fine. If not then that's fine too. Short of moving schools, I don't see that there's anything you can do about it.

#4 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

OP, my DD is one of 18 girls in a 21 child kinder group. 3 boys and 18 girls... I wish there were more boys, the kinder group gas turned into a giant craft circle - the boys are joined at the hip and basically will be mostly off on their own.

When I've been on duty, I've seen the kinder teacher try to breach the kinder divide - nothing happens, the 3 boys just go back to their huddle post intervention.

#5 polka dotty

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Haven't had that experience, but...
When DS was in kindy, there were 4 girls and 18 boys. The girls became a very close group and got along famously. I think they all became quite friendly outside of kindy too.
In contrast, when my DD went through her group was around 2/3 girls, and they tended to splinter off into smaller groups and squabbled a bit. She only really had 2 good friends anyway.

To be honest I think it comes down to the teacher, the other parents and the dynamics of the kids themselves, rather than the balance of girls & boys.

#6 babatjie

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

In my son preschool class there are 7 girls and he is the only boy. He doesn't seem to mind.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I don't see the problem, I have no idea the boy/girl ratio in my son's class as they are all just children - I would have no problem if he was the only boy in a class of girls!

#8 Sockergris

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

When I was in prep I was the only girl in a class of 10.  It was a combined class at a country school though so I did see some girls from grade 1,2 and 3.  All my best friends were boys though.  I didn't care.  They were fun!
In high school there were typically 20 boys and 5 girls in each class. (I went to a tech school.)  Didn't bother me at all.  I would even go so far as to say it was better.  :)

#9 HRH Countrymel

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

In my kindergarten class there were three girls and twenty two boys.

In term one one of the girls moved away and the other girl took a three month OS holiday plus was sick a lot.

So mainly me and 22 boys!

I was fine.

I WAS the teachers pet for some reason (!!!!) but I was fine!

#10 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Wow, that's quite a ratio.
I would be a little worried but would see how it pans out.
I wouldn't be worried so much for the friends reason, but because of some research I read showing that boys tended to demand more attention in class and the more boys they were, the more the girls got neglected.
I'd just keep an eye on it and see whether you think it's impacting her before worrying.

#11 tkenhrb

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

When my daughter went to early intervention preschool she was the only girl with 7 boys.

#12 iwanttosleepin

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Our school had a similar problem.  About 7 boys out of a class of 22.  Both the kindergarten classes were the same.  It was just the luck of the catchment that year.

Not really anything you could do about it.  Otherwise a great school.

#13 justaquickie

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think in some cases it depends on the teacher and their experience. Our youngest had 3 girls(her included) and 19 boys in her kinder class. She did pretty well. Her teacher was an older teacher and absolutely brilliant with the kids, especially the boys. She was also the one who did the kinder interviews before they actually started, so she knew who was who and got a little insight into who may or may not cope with the situation.

#14 BeAwesome

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think it probably depends on the child.  My DD is in a class with a few more girls than boys, but still plays with both.

#15 liveworkplay

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

This will be my DD's class next year. Out of a whole year group of 60, there are only 24 girls. To be honest, I am not really bothered by it. I have one older DD who prefers to play with the boys and another who has a mixture of friends. I don't think it will adversely impact DD3 at all.

#16 liveworkplay

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

but because of some research I read showing that boys tended to demand more attention in class and the more boys they were, the more the girls got neglected.

Interesting. That is not something I had thought about being a mum of all girls. Something to keep in the back of my mind for next year.

#17 Justaduck

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have had it happen several times when working in childcare. Depending on enrolments some years we had big boy years, others big girl years. I know one year we only had two girls in the class for one day of the week.

It just meant we had to tweak our program a bit as the boys needed a bit more of a chance to burn off some steam & the girls on the day enjoyed it just as much

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

View Postpoweredbytofu, on 13 November 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Why is it so uneven?

I hope it's not the case, but the article I read on boys getting more attention said that girls did better at girls schools (due to that) and boys did better at co-ed (as the girls tended to calm things down), so there was a phenomenon of people sending their girls to girls schools and their boys to co-ed to improve their learning using other people's daughters - they called it "lend us your girls!"
I do hope that's not the reason for the unevenness... that people are actually doing this...

#19 busy&happy

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

My dd started prep this year. In her class at the beginning of the year there were 24 students, 15 boys and 9 girls. 2 girls have since left so down to 7. Across the other prep classes I believe it is also boy dominated. It hasn't really been an issue.

#20 3sis1bro

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

My 3rd daughter attended one year at a preschool that had 15 boys and 4 girls. The other girls excluded her and some of the beautiful boys took her under their wing and made her a little bit more confident. She's had anxiety issues and boys really don't care! Girls pick it up. In saying that we chose the all girls school because of her issues and she has thrived despite her bumpy start. I am a casual teacher and if there is one dominant sex that demands more attention it will have to be the boys. Should you rethink the enrolment? I'd say give it a good go, it depends on the boys in the class - they don't all sap the teacher's energy. Perhaps foster more friendships out of school through sport or dance etc. - this is good advice for every child!

#21 Almond milk shake

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I guess we will just have to see how it goes.  We were able to choose which group we wanted and we got the group I put in as first preference, I guess a lot of parents of boys wanted that group too...

Thanks!

#22 eachschoolholidays

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

When I was in primary school there were 34 boys and 10 girls in my year group.  Most years there was a 'normal' class and then a composite.  This meant that most years there were 1 or 2 other girls from my year group in my class so that definitely wasn't ideal.  6/7 girls wouldn't definitely be better!!

#23 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Of the two schools in our area, one got most of the boys and the other, the girls.

It was also a thing of parents not wanting their child to be with mainly the opposite sex and then enrolling them in the other which made it worse!

Mainly boys in DD's class(some quite difficult) but the few girls were all lovely.

#24 adnama

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

At DS's orientation this year all 5 classes it was majority boys.
Next year they will be spilt into 6 classes, so they will only have 5 or 6 girls per class and the other 15ish students will be boys.

When DD was in kindergarten it was opposite mostly girls and hardly any boys.

#25 babatjie

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

All the comments of how difficult boys are in this thread doesn't sit right with me. Especially the one of using other people's 'daughters'...

I agree there are differences between boys and girls, but at the end of the day they are children.

My son is currently in a preschool class with only girls, he is the only boy. It doesn't bother him or us. Wouldn't bother me if it was the reverse for my daughter.

Edited by babatjie, 14 November 2013 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.