How many weeks do they perform an elective c section?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 T4N2

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hey
I just found out I'm pregnant with my second child. My first labour ended in an emergency caesarean.
I was wondering how many weeks they perform an elective c section at?
I will be a public patient and live in Perth
Thanks

#2 rokate

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Mine was done at 39weeks.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Between 38-39 weeks usually. Depending in OB preference and the reason as to why.

#4 Kat255

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

DD1 was 39 weeks 2 days.
DD2 was 37 weeks 5 days (was planned for later but moved due to my health).

My OB does elective c-sections on Fridays (unless there is a very good reason otherwise). In both cases I had the date around 20-24 weeks pregnant (though with DD2 the date changed at the last minute).

#5 Ness75

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

I have had 2 booked in the 38th week(public) and this one will be 37+4 with a private OB  so not the hospitals choice but apparently 39 weeks is the norm now.

#6 Ritaroo

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

I also had an emergency c section with my first and the ob said the next one will need to be a c section and he will do it at 38 weeks.

#7 She's Crafty

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Had my first and 39 w 1 d.  This one is booked for 38 w.  I'm happy to let it go a bit longer so we'll wait and see.

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Why would you want to have another C-section even if your first one ended up as an emergency?

Every pregnancy and labour is different.

I had an emergency CS with DS because there was no way he was coming out the natural way and I accepted that but this time around with the fact that things have a strong possibility of being very different that I will be attempting a VBAC which the Doctors support.

I am pregnant with number four.  The two girls were vaginal deliveries and although birthing was painful the recovery time was short and I could get on with it very quickly however with a CS you are dealing with on-going pain, limited lifting, unable to drive (well you know) post delivery whilst trying to deal with extreme tiredness, the usual leaking whilst trying to recover from what is major adominal surgery.  It was not much fun and now that I am having my time again a natural birth wins hands down.

Have you spoken to your caregivers about all your options rather than going straight in for a CS.  Also one thing about multiple CS is that they heighten risk factors for future pregnancies.  Plus another thing that I only recently learnt is that for future pregnancies you are at risk (like everyone) of having not only a ectopic pregnancy in your tubes but ALSO in your CS scar.

If I end up having another CS well at least I tried naturally rather than going straight for the surgical option.

#9 Holidayromp

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

Ritaroo, on 29 November 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

I also had an emergency c section with my first and the ob said the next one will need to be a c section and he will do it at 38 weeks.

Why?  Have you obtained a second opinion?  Some obs actually prefer CS over vaginal births!

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hey Holidayromp.....the title of the thread was 'when' not 'should I' ?

#11 PattiODoors

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Both at 39 weeks for me.

#12 Bluenomi

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

My OB does them around 38 weeks, usually not later than 39. Mine was at 37+5 with the twins.

#13 Holidayromp

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

soontobegran, on 29 November 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Hey Holidayromp.....the title of the thread was 'when' not 'should I' ?

and?

There could be other options the OP hasn't considered.

#14 Future-self

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

Holidayromp, on 29 November 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Why would you want to have another C-section even if your first one ended up as an emergency? Every pregnancy and labour is different. .
That's right, everyone's labour and birth is different from yours and some women WANT a csection - not really your business to question it is it?

OP, I discussed elective caesareans with my OB in my 6 week check up after DS. She aims for 39 weeks and not before baring any medical reasons for being earlier. I believe that this is pretty standard now but you can call the maternity unit of your hospital and ask for their policy I'm sure.

#15 hoohoobump

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I think the research says 39+ for lowering the likelihood of respiratory complications for the baby.

#16 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Really Holidayromp? Really!?

My OB has said I can choose (if circumstances permit) you know what I never ever want to go through that ever again. I will be having a csection, the deciding factor I can show you a picture of my sons face when he came out with a massive forcep injury (failed forceps before the csection), which got infected and resulted in us staying longer. The whole process meant I couldn't breast feed because we couldn't force his face onto my breast and no amount of expressing got my milk in and by the time his face was healed it was too late.

ETA: I have PCOS and inverted nipples I do think it would have had more of a chance of success if DS had been able to go to the breast. My milk never came in even though I was expressing and continued to express. They cannot tell me why he got stuck the fact his face ended like it did (and I had an injury inside as well from the forceps and the forcep got stuck) makes them think it may have been a pelvis issue but of course only an X-ray done then would have confirmed that. I am not going to try it for a second or third.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 29 November 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#17 Hands Up

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

Holidayromp, on 29 November 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

If I end up having another CS well at least I tried naturally rather than going straight for the surgical option.

It is such a shame women are judged by other women in this way.

#18 BadCat

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

I too had my first by emergency and my section as an elective.

The second was at 37+2.  It seemed a bit early to me but they insisted it was fine.  And it was.  He was a little over 4kg and got 9 and 9 on the APGAR.

#19 shemozzle1

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

Holidayromp...... I am astounded at what you have posted.... You owe the OP an apology...

You have no idea of the circumstances... She wasn't asking your opinion on wether she should have a cs or vbac...

And for your information some vbac attempts go horribly wrong.. I have a cousin in intensive care at the moment, she should have never been allowed to attempt a vbac. The OP could be in the same circumstances...

Edited by shemozzle1, 29 November 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#20 Ant's pants

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Agree with soontobegran - the OP is seeking advice on timing of a c section, not whether they should have one holidayromp. I think it's great that you're going to attempt a VBAC yourself but you shouldn't assume that that is how others want to or can birth their babies.

OP - I had an emergency c section with my first at 40+9 and am having a planned c section at 38+6 for my second, although that may be brought forward depending on how bub and I are tracking - I have insulin dependent GD and hypertension.

Good luck

#21 Soontobegran

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Holidayromp, on 29 November 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

and?

There could be other options the OP hasn't considered.

So? It is up to her to ask us...if and when she wants to.

#22 HRH Countrymel

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

All the 'elective' C sections among my friends have been between 38 - 39 weeks.

#23 Justaduck

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

My Obs really prefer to wait until 39wks to do them. My respiratory physician doesn't want me to labour & I'm not going to put my the health of myself and my unborn child at risk just so I can say "Well at least I tried"

DD was 38+6, this one will be 38+3, but only because 39wks falls on Christmas Eve & I would rather not be in hospital on Christmas morning, obviously if complications arise fair enough.

Might be worth having a look at this as well, in the US they have recently redefined what a "full term" birth is
http://www.acog.org/..._Term_Pregnancy

#24 ~KK77~

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

My DS was emergency c/s at 41 wks, my 2 DD's were elective c/s in the 38th weeks with a private OB, my twins will be in the 37th week.

#25 Ritaroo

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Holidayromp, on 29 November 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Why?  Have you obtained a second opinion?  Some obs actually prefer CS over vaginal births!

Why? Because I want to. End of story. Do you want a medal or something for having a vbac?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.