breastfeeding and night chills

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bec_1108

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

DD is 10 wks old and exclusively BF. The night my milk came in when I was in hospital, I felt like I had a fever and was cold to the bone. A nurse took my temperature and it was fine. She told me I had "milk fever".

Ten weeks later I'm still getting chills at night but don't have a fever. Regardless of whether it's a hot or cold night, and regardless of what time DD wakes for a feed, after I settle her I'm freezing and have trouble falling asleep, even once I have put 3 blankets over me.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 fols

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Not quite the same but I got hot flushes while breast feeding DS1.
I do remember being freezing at night after both but assumed it was only relative because I was always so hot while pregnant that it was a shock to the system once the babies were out.

#3 Guest_Paddy2_*

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yes! I did, it was really bad. Interested if there is an explanation for it, I thought it was just me for some reason. You are not alone!

#4 MrsWidget

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yes with all of mine I had chills and sweats for a few months after their births. I was also exclusively breastfeeding. My understanding is its hormones. It does pass.

#5 Tippi-toes

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Yes. I remember getting up in the night to feed and having to put on two jumpers after because I got so cold. I can't remember when it stopped happening though, maybe about 12weeks?

Edited by Tippi-toes, 30 November 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Lucla

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hmmm I never put the two together but I think I have the same thing. I am constantly chilled to the bone when feeding and after, I get back into bed and yeah takes ages to settle myself cos I feel so cold. I have said many a time that I never used to feel the cold like this before I had DD like I said though I never linked it to the bfing

#7 Let-it-go

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Yes, I had this with DD.  it was winter and I would wake up covered in sweat boiling hot with exploding boobs, feed DD then get into bed shivering and take ages to go back to sleep.  In the end I used to turn on my electric blanket when I got up so my bed was warm when I got back in.

At MG another mum had the same thing, the nurse told us it was hormones.

From memory it did stop after a few months.

#8 Guest_Paddy2_*

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ooooo... I have been Googling. Do you have low calcium or vitamin D levels? I did and apparently the two are linked?

#9 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

I had the same thing. I would have cold sweats too.

#10 *BellBird*

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'd heard about this too, and thought I had it when my first baby was 2 weeks old and I had chills in the night (generally no actual fever though) - turned out I had septicaemia from an asymptomatic UTI and was rushed to hospital in an ambulance a very bad way. Anyway - I just wanted to say, be careful and have it checked out if you (or anyone around you) are worried. In my situation it started to go very bad very quickly and could have ended terribly!

#11 Rummonkey

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have same thing. Obgyn explained its the level of oesteogyn which during bf goes to a similar level to that of menopause (the things noone tells you!) it apparently settles after a while. I'm 16wks in, definitely isn't as bad as what it was but still get flushes easily. The night chills were horrible. I made sure I had a couple of hot water bottles to cuddle after feeding over night. Other thing you can check is thyroid. Mine is overactive which doesn't help.

#12 So...buttons79

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yes yes yes! Poor you I was always freezing during and after feeds. Some warm days would take myself off to bed rugged up and still be cold. My mum kept telling me to eat more. It will pass xx

#13 Jane82

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yes, I hadn't realised there was an explanation for it either! For the first couple of months I was freezing, every night feed I would be in my dressing gown and drinking a cup of tea, the only way I could keep warm. I would then go to bed with a hot water bottle and wake up a couple of hours later with night sweats.
It passed after a couple of months, but in the meantime had to change pjs every night!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.