What Classics have "defeated" you?

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

I was watching Jennifer Byrnes Presents the other night, and the topic was the classics which you know you know you *should* read, but you haven't been able to- you've attempted them, but failed to complete. Here is the list of books which were nominated by the panellists -

"Underworld by Don DeLillo

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Don Quixote by by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust"

I tried to do Underworld by DeLillo and struggled - it defeated me. I don't think I got beyond 20 pages! war and Peace I haven't attempted ....the sheer size of the thing is daunting enough. It's one of those things in my bucket list though. Haven't done Don Quixote. And I haven't done Proust - I have read a very interesting book about "in search of lost times" - which was called A Night At the Majestic, so I feel I ought to read the original inspiration.

Others are James Joyce Ulysses - couldn't finish it (meant to be "the greatest novel of modern times" - so it was not for want of trying...)...and.....

Great  Expectations (I know I know - philistine ...)

Anyone else care to confess?

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

I could barely start The Book Thief. Not a classic, but well-regarded. I wanted to put out my eyes rather than read it.

#3 Renovators delight

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Not a classic, but lord of the rings. Can't get past that Tom bombadil guy. Ugh.

#4 Pudding Flea

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Ssshhhh, don't tell anyone....

I never finished The Lord of the Rings.

I keep meaning to, but I remember too much of the beginning so I start skipping to get to a bit I haven't read and then I get lost again and put it back down.

#5 cinnabubble

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Lord of the Rings is ****ing boring.

#6 Emm27

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ok so not a classic but a hugely popular book that I just detested - Eat, Pray, Love.

Italy made me want to shoot her, India made me want to shoot myself and Indonesia made me want to shoot everyone. I cannot understand how so many people find this piece of crap so inspirational. Give me Turia Pitt's autobiography any day!

#7 ali27

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

The Lord of the Rings is AWFUL.

I find Thomas Hardy fairly hard going and another one which was difficult is Crime and Punishment

#8 MintyBiscuit

Lord of the Rings. I couldn't even get past chapter two of The Hobbit so I haven't attempted LOTR. Total snorefest

I've tried The Great Gatsby twice now and can't get into it. Pride and Prejudice bored me. I struggled through to the end of Dracula, but still feel like it was a waste of time.

I think maybe I'm just not that cultured ;)

#9 Ritaroo

I couldn't get through Wuthering Heights. Horrible, horrible people.

#10 red_squirrel

James Joyce, Ulysses. I just couldn't read it.
I also gave up on War and Peace.

#11 baddmammajamma

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Lord of the Rings...torture!

And the most boring book on the planet, "Moby d*ck."

"Call me Ishmael" = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep aid!

#12 Reader

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Middlemarch. I set it aside thinking I'd try again one day, but haven't picked it up again.

#13 Lyra

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Dickens. I get that he writes well blah blah but honestly those books are so freaking huge. Why waste days and days reading when I can watch a movie that only eats up a few hours.

#14 BeAwesome

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Anna Karenina, I've tried it a few times, and can't get into it.

#15 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Gosh, I agree on most of these.

I don't think I would have gotten to the end of To Kill A Mockingbird if the education system hadn't forced me *prepares to be murdered by resident EB Americans*

I haven't ever bothered with anything long written by any man with a Russian-ish name.

#16 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

I like to read, but then I often work as a sub-editor so I have a love affair with words.

The one book that I have never been able to get into was James Joyce's 'Ulysses' - couldn't finish it. But it is known as one of the hardest books to read as he was experimenting with punctuation (or lack of).

#17 ali27

Heart of Darkness - blurgh!

#18 lylac

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Shakespeare is just not my thing (I know, I know!).
I hope nobody ever figures out who I am.

#19 Sassenach2

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostLyra, on 07 December 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

Dickens. I get that he writes well blah blah but honestly those books are so freaking huge. Why waste days and days reading when I can watch a movie that only eats up a few hours.

I agree with Dickens and I would rather watch the movies of his books. He waffles on and so does Thomas Hardy. You read all about the environment and the trees and the bushes and I couldn't care less about that, I would rather get to the nitty gritty!

#20 Lyra

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

View Postlylac, on 07 December 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Shakespeare is just not my thing (I know, I know!). I hope nobody ever figures out who I am.

To be fair to Shakespeare he's really not meant to be read. He is stuff is so much more interesting and enjoyable when you watch them. It also makes more sense LOL

#21 flakyfish

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

I haven't attempted most of the ones you mention, but feel like I should. I did try to read Ulysses, and honestly, I found the Odyssey in ancient Greek easier to read!

Ones that have defeated me:

Heart of darkness - couldn't follow it to save my life.

Anna Karenina, just couldn't get into it.

Also, not a classic, but American psycho was impossible to read.

I am a voracious reader, and am quite well read, but I do struggle to read some of the denser classics. My tastes tend to chick lit and fantasy novels mostly.

#22 Froyohoho

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Wuthering Heights and Huckleberry Finn.

#23 Hellbent

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I tried war and peace as a teenager. Gave it a good go, but from memory got through about 30 pages. Definitely defeated me.

#24 Ho Ho No

War and Peace.

I will never read it, but it makes a great paperweight.

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

View Postali27, on 07 December 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

Heart of Darkness - blurgh!

Oh god yes! That should have been first up in my list.....what a difficult book! Enough with the descriptions! It was too clever for its own good - or maybe I'm with Holly I'm just not that cultured!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.