What do you hoard? (That you should get rid of)

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Montro

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

I've just opened a cupboard and thousands, literally, thousands of recipes torn from magazines and newspapers tumbled out onto the floor.

I knew I had quite a collection, but was shocked at the sheer amount I had.  Some date back 10 years or more, and I just know that I'll never make 95% of them.

Still, I can't bring myself to get rid of them, even though I need the cupboard space.

What do you hang onto, that you really should give away, sell, or throw out?

#2 Feral teens?

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

School stuff - books, art and craft supplies, bits that I pick up and think that will be useful.

#3 Ktonic

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Empty shoe boxes. Even though my kids are waaaay past the stage of possibly needing them for art/craft at school....

#4 Unatheowl

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Uni notes....from 4 degrees....

Dh hoards boxes that items come in, like Lego, laptops, irons, kitchen appliances etc because "you never know, we may need to return it". There are piles of them and they p*ss me off.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Clothing tags, black boxes that my orders come in when I order online, unworn clothes, and I'm sure there's so much more!!!

#6 Chillax

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

Old letters, tickets to concerts, birthday cards, school diaries....that sort of stuff.
We just recently cleaned out the cupboard underneath the stairs and I found boxes and boxes of this stuff.
Love letters from exes, birthday cards as far back as when I turned 8, tickets/receipts for things I bought while I was living in the UK, school diaries from yr 8, notes from friends in primary and high school....it was hilarious looking through it all. There's just much of it but I can't bear to throw any of it away. It's my history!!! Me, before I was "mum", before I was married to my beautiful husband...it's classic stuff.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Fabric.

I'm never going to turn all that into baby clothes for my kids. But it's still there ... in the cupboard ...

#8 Feral_Pooks

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Gosh. Heaps of things. I'm a bit embarrassed about it. Every now and then I will find a way to 'release' myself from one particular thing or another.

I have boxes of formula tins, jars, toilet paper rolls, you name it. I just can't lose the feeling they are useful and I don't want to waste them and I might need them or... Something.

The garage, spare room, and every cupboard in the house is a shrine to my hoarding of worthless crap.

#9 Agnetha

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Ooo pooks , my cousin needs used formula tins for painting projects. She's an artist. She was disappointed when my dd finished. Her needs were great for getting rid of some of my hoarding or up cycling needs

#10 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Books, thousands and thousands of books.  I keep buying more even though I know I already have too many.

#11 Feraldasherie

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Books, so many, many books.

Fabric, too, nothing makes me happier than buying fabric. Sewing kind of sucks, but it's so pretty.

Magazine tear-outs, recipes, craft, interiors, but I've just signed up to Pinterest, so hopefully I can start to chuck stuff.

Every scrap of paper DS or DD wrote to me on, Mother's day cards, Christmas cards, random I love you notes.

Edited by slapdasherie, 29 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#12 Feral_Pooks

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

View Postagnetha, on 29 December 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Ooo pooks , my cousin needs used formula tins for painting projects. She's an artist. She was disappointed when my dd finished. Her needs were great for getting rid of some of my hoarding or up cycling needs

See, this kind of thing just encourages me :D

#13 Feralishous

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostTeens?, on 29 December 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

School stuff - books, art and craft supplies, bits that I pick up and think that will be useful.
yep. Im a stationary hoarder

#14 ~chiquita~

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

My clothes.

I am always complaining that I don't have enough room for my clothes, they are spilling out onto the bedroom floor..literally.

I have a wardrobe full of clothes that I don't wear. Some have been hanging there unworn for 15+ years, unless it's 'back in' again. :ninja:

I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

#15 CleverChook

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

House mags - I do reread them every now and then so can't justify tossing them
Kids toys - my 8 and 10 year old DDs probably don't need all their Fisher Price Little People toys anymore...

#16 Mists of Avalon

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

I hoard tinned food. We don't eat much of it but I'm paranoid of running out of food that I have at least a couple of months worth of canned goods. I don't need to throw it away but I need to stop adding to the collection until we actually use some of it.

#17 GlitterFeralFarts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Fabric, tupperware, anything -and I mean anything- that could be remotely used for homeschooling, vintage stuff, patterns, toys, clothes,  linen, bowls, plates. ..

It would be easier to list what I dont hoard :cry:

#18 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Fabric. My entire linen closet is full of fabric. The rational side of brain says I don't need minky, pul and muslin since I'm not having more children, but it's just too pretty to get rid of!

Edited by 2 Gorgeous Girls, 29 December 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Fat.

#20 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Stationery. And I buy more even though I have tubs full and drawers full of pens. I just like bits and pieces of stationery. I love going into Officeworks and looking up and down the shelves for stuff that is at ridiculous prices!!

#21 laridae

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Fabric.  I have heaps with plans to use it, I just don't seem to ever get around to it.

DVDs.  I have heaps that I haven't watched yet.  Maybe when I'm off work waiting for D? to come out...

Books I did, but I've been re-buying on the Kindle the ones I want to keep and giving away the paperbacks.

Recipe books.  I have hundreds.  I only use a few and not even regularly, I end up googling for recipes instead.

Glass jars I used to, but these days they get put in the recycle bin.

I do have a few recipe clippings, but not many.  I've been putting recipes I use regularly on to a recipe website instead.

Doona covers.  I have heaps of them.  I like them :)

#22 emma_jean

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Books, stationery, clothes that are too small. We're really running out of space. I am starting to realise that even things I want, will use, value - they take up space which I also want, will use and value. Still hard to declutter though.

#23 75etd

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

I hoard recipes torn out of magazines, gardening magazines, and we've got loads and loads of Dvd's.

As a couple of people have said they hoard glass jars, just thought I'd ask if anyone in Western Sydney would like to lighten their load of glass bottles/jars. I have loads of tomatoes and zucchinis in the garden and I want to pickle/make sauce etc with them. I am happy to provide some payment in the way of the finished product!

#24 rjflc69

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

My name is Fiona and I am a box hoarder

#25 JRA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

A good day to ask. DH and I tackled the spare bedrooms today as we have friends and their son coming to stay, and then the son is staying with us for some time (he is just starting uni here) so needed to find cupboard space plus the bed etc. One room wasn't too bad, but the other ...

Anyway, hoarding. BOOKS, but that has stopped with the use of kindles for 90% of our books now. Lego. We won't throw ds's lego out, so the amount now in storage in the cupboards is huge.  We are still getting rid of "stuff" that came from DH's parents when they died in 2001.

We still have our WIR to go, DH has a huge box of "location" t-shirts which are about to go which bought in his teens and  20s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.