Bub falling off the bed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Frooti

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Yesterday, my little girl (6 months) rolled off the bed.

She hit her head (had a little red mark on her forehead) and screamed. When I picked her up to console her, she was dazed/confused/tired looking. I panicked and called 000.

By the time the ambulance had gotten here, she'd stop crying and seemed back to her normal self. They took us in for the night just for hourly observation.

We were released at midday and the doctor told me that most of the time if there's a serious injury, it will show itself in the first 4 - 6 hours so we were mostly in the clear.

Then gave me a list of things to look out for in the next 72 hour (sensitivity to light, vomiting, headache, seizures), even though he thought these were unlikely.

I am seriously not coping. Since the moment i've left the hospital, I feel physically sick with worry and guilt. Any time she seems a little bit tired and her eyes get droopy, or she crawls over and looks like she's about to bump her head, my heart skips a beat. I feel so sick to the stomach that I can't eat anything.

How could I do this to my little girl? One careless act and now i'm on the lookout for signs that could indicate a slow bleed in the brain. She's so little and I'm supposed to be the one to keep her safe.

#2 Belinda18

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

When my daughter was a similar age I sat her on my bed while I was getting ready to take her for a walk. I turned around to get my shoes and she promptly rolled on to the floor. The thud she made was sickening, and the crying broke my heart.  Luckily she was fine. I know this doesn't help you know if your little one is ok, but I hope it helps you to know that you're not the only one that this has happened to.

Big cuddles for your little bubba, I'm sure she'll be fine.

#3 lurfest

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

I did the same thing to my DS.  Cried myself stupid.  In the end, you just need to forgive yourself.

#4 becstar101

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

You poor thing!

My son fell off the bed around the same age. A few cuddles and he was fine. Two days later I let him up on the bed and the same thing happened! You think I would have learnt from my mistake...

I think you'll find most parents have a similar story. I'm sure your little one will be fine.

#5 Gumbette

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

We took DD overseas when she was 6 months old.  I plonked her on the hotel bed and ran to the toilet as I was literally bursting when we checked in. Next thing I heard a bang, and god awful screaming.

You're not the first to let your baby roll off the bed, and you won't be last.  Please don't  be too hard on yourself, it was an accident.  I know it's upsetting especially when they're so little and it's their first ouchy.  I hope your little girl's ok.

#6 muffin87

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I couldn't not reply. I know it's a horrible feeling. Accidents happen and you did a great job in caring for her by calling 000.
If it makes you feel better my son slipped out of the pram on to a concrete floor at the same age. Accidents happen. The Dr that saw my son in Ed told me she had her child roll off a table when they were young too.
Don't beat your self up your doing to best you can.

#7 AliGeo

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Oh hun don't beat yourself up, it was a minor accident that can and does happen to even the most vigilant parents. Just remember that babies are pretty hardy, we wouldn't have survived as a species if they weren't. As for the worry, try and do some fun things together to take you mind off it all.

#8 Cranky Kitten

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Another one that says don't beat yourself up over it. She's fine, and if she's not you'll be there to look after her and get her the help she needs. It will most likely be the first of many bumps and scrapes that she'll get into, they're a part of life and part of growing up.

I haven't had one roll off the bed (touch wood) but I did leave the room to do something or other, leaving my 6 week old in the rocker while his 2 year old brother played nearby, only to hear "uh oh, dropped it" a thud and then awful screaming....yes, the toddler had tried to pick up the baby out of the rocker and dropped him on the floor. A few cuddles and a quick feed later and everyone was fine, even the distraught toddler who thought he'd broken his brother

#9 librablonde

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I did the same thing and also worried myself sick. As the years have passed I've come to understand that each parent will always make many mistakes and you just have to forgive yourself and get over it. You'll have enough guilt and self-doubt to swim in by the time your kids hit adulthood :)

I look back at some of the mistakes I've made now and although I can remember the gut-wrenching guilt and trauma of whatever I did that may have accidentally harmed my kids, I now just consider it all under the banner of "Live and Learn". Sh*t happens. Just learn from it and forgive yourself.

The fact that you love and care so much for your baby and feel so much guilt just shows that you're a good mum and want the best for your child.

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

I think we've all been there. DD did the same thing round that age when DH was watching her. A few weeks later she rolled off my lap on the rocking chair, onto the ground. Luckily she was one both times. Don't beat yourself up, all that matters is that she's fine :)

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

You know, I've not yet met a parent who hasn't had a child roll or fall or be pushed by an older sibling off a bed, chair or couch.

I was lucky enough to have DD1 roll off my bed, fall out of the high chair and the bouncer. I also smacked her head on a ceramic basin when she was less than 2 months old.

I was an unskilled parent ...

I think my rate with the other two was infinitely better.

I didn't bump their heads on the car door either. :D

OP, you'll be fine, she'll be fine - buckle yourself in for the ride!

#12 glowlight

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

My son rolled off my bed a couple times when he  was 7-8 months old and hit his head on a table (suddenly just plonked forward with no warning when sitting on my lap). They have quite hard skulls thankfully as they're accident prone when starting to roll/pull themselves up/roll. Obviously need to watch them but accidents are bound to happen. Don't be too hard on yourself.

#13 mandala

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

I fell down the stairs while carrying DS when he was 4 months, and he threw himself backwards off the bed at 14 months (when I was there, not one of the times he climbed up himself). He also split his scalp falling off a climbing frame at daycare at 23 months. There will be so many times they hurt themselves and even the most diligent supervision won't prevent all the bumps.

I hope your daughter is recovers quickly from her fall, and you from your scare.

#14 South Coast

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Oh OP, its horrible but happens to so many!  My DS fell forward off the couch only last week, did a full flip and landed on his back - I was devastated and so upset with myself.  I took him to the ECC and the nurse there said it happens all the time.  Try not to beat yourself up.

#15 blueone

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

2 nights ago my DD (7 months) rolled off the bed. she had slept in with us the night before (teething and difficult) and was sleeping in the next morning after DH and I were already up. I had placed pillows on either side of her expecting that this would block her should she roll

it didn't. she kicked the pillow off the side of the bed, and then promptly rolled off. I came running back into the room when I heard the thump, thankfully, her fall was broken by the pillow she had kicked off. I screamed when I saw her lying on the floor, and on hearing me scream she burst into tears. She was thankfully totally fine. I felt like the luckiest luckiest mum in the entire world

the next day DH chucked out the base of the bed and we now just have a mattress on the floor to prevent it happening again.

but like other PPs have said. Everyone seems to have a 'baby rolling off...' story. and 99% of the time baby is fine

#16 Glikker

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

when my ds1 was about 10 months old i dropped a tin of pineapple on his head, i had just got home from the shops, put the bag of groceries down on the lounge, put ds on a rug on the floor in the loungroom, picked up the groceries and the tin fell through a hole that had been torn from the weight.
i cried, bundled him up, screamed for DP who came in and checked him out, i was a mess. felt so guilty, he turned out to be just fine. a little bruise came up the next day but that was it.
he got lots of extra kisses and cuddles that day, i felt so bad i don't think i put him down for ages!
its possibly one of those things that happens to most of us.
don't be too hard on yourself OP.

#17 indigo~

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

OP, my daughter has fallen off the bed twice, so I know how you feel. The second time was just 2 nights ago, so your thread is timely in helping me feel a little bit better as well. Thank you!

#18 TobiasFLK

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

becstar101, on 09 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

You poor thing! My son fell off the bed around the same age. A few cuddles and he was fine. Two days later I let him up on the bed and the same thing happened! You think I would have learnt from my mistake... I think you'll find most parents have a similar story. I'm sure your little one will be fine.
Yep same here!! Twice in 3 days. Dont worry OP its obviously very common.

Keep a close eye on her but I'm sure she will be fine.

#19 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Gosh DS had fallen off high surfaces at least 3 times by the time he was 9 months old. 2 beds and a washing machine I think it was. I never even thought to call an ambulance. I think we called the health line and they told us what stuff to look out for.

Relax OP, babies fall off stuff all the time. You are human, human's aren't perfect, and babies are resilient.

Random question - are you feeling a lot of anxiety about other things as well? Or has this one particularly just freaked you out?

#20 Frooti

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

CallMeProtart, on 09 January 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Gosh DS had fallen off high surfaces at least 3 times by the time he was 9 months old. 2 beds and a washing machine I think it was. I never even thought to call an ambulance. I think we called the health line and they told us what stuff to look out for.

Relax OP, babies fall off stuff all the time. You are human, human's aren't perfect, and babies are resilient.

Random question - are you feeling a lot of anxiety about other things as well? Or has this one particularly just freaked you out?

I panicked, scooped her up and grabbed my phone with the intention of settling her and calling 13 health straight away. I went to put her to the breast to calm her and her eyes rolled (like she was dazed), she stopped crying and went limp. It almost felt like she was going to lose consciousness. She's had a few little bumps on the head while trying to crawl, but never responded in this way. I called 000 straight up because I didn't want to waste a moment of time.

Had it of been a straight cry  and calm I would have called 13 health instead.

I'm not an anxious person/mum in general. This just frightened the life out of me.

Thank you so much for the reassurance everyone. It has been 24 hours since the incident and she's been doing well, but i'm still going to be a little anxious until she's in the all clear. She wriggles a lot in her sleep and tends to bump her head sometimes on the side of her cot, so i've got her in the portacot tonight (has soft mesh sides), as I don't want an accidental bump to worsen any pain/injury.

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

I walked DS into the tea towel rack in our pantry when he was about 6 weeks old. He went whack and had a bruise for at least a week. DH clipped his finger as opposed to the nail a few months back cue screaming and blood everywhere. Just last week I was holding DS a he slept on me (curse you sixth ww) and my phone slipped out of my phone onto his head cue him waking up screaming like I have never heard him scream before held his breath and had his arms shaking. I was petrified he was dying. Alas it was just the shock.

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Shades of Violet, on 09 January 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

I panicked, scooped her up and grabbed my phone with the intention of settling her and calling 13 health straight away. I went to put her to the breast to calm her and her eyes rolled (like she was dazed), she stopped crying and went limp. It almost felt like she was going to lose consciousness.

Oh yep I see, that'd completely freak me too!

Sorry hope it wasn't an offensive question, it kind of seemed an OTT response to just a fall so I was wondering whether there might be some post natal anxiety flags or something in there. But no, rolling eyes and going limp would totally have me going into emergency mode too!

#23 (feral)epg

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Your sig is very apt for this topic!

I'm another one whose bub fell off the bed.  I put her down, walked into the bathroom and thought "gee that's just not a safe thing to do".  As I turned around to get her she was already falling off the bed, I kind of caught her just as her head was about to hit the ground so she didn't even hurt herself but it scared the living daylights out of both of us.

Now she's 11 months old and she's able to get off the bed herself.  So of course DP and I were videoing it for the grandparents and caught the moment when she excitedly bounced forwards off the bed (instead of carefully inching off bum first).  One of many parent fails over here.

#24 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

It happened to us at least twice OP!   First time I was getting DD1 out of her cot when she was 10 months old, lowered the rail and she lent over and slipped straight over the top and landed on the floor.   Luckily she broke her fall with her arms, but it gave me a scare all the same.

Second time, DD2 was 6 days old (born at 38.5 weeks, so hadn't even technically reached her due date) when DH fell asleep holding her on the couch and she rolled off his lap and landed on the wooden floor boards.   The crash was so loud it woke my parents who were visiting and asleep in a bedroom above the loungeroom.   We rushed her to hospital where they observed her for a few hours before releasing us with instructions to look out for the same symptoms you were given.   They were very relaxed and the triage nurse even told us that they see this all the time, and asked us what height she fell from.  She then reassured us that babies that fall from a height of under 1.5 metres are generally ok, if a little bruised.      My DD2 is now 3, very cheeky, bright and funny, she has had no lasting damage caused at all.

At least twice I have unbalanced the stroller with shopping bags, only to have it fall backwards.  Thankfully the bags have broken the fall, and my kids thought the unexpected 'ride' was great fun.

I hope you can forgive yourself soon.   Given the number of us that this has happened to, you are in good company.    You must be a wonderful mum to have acted so quickly to ensure that your DD was ok.

#25 Ellie bean

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

I hope your DD is well today SOV and that you are able to relax now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.