Bub falling off the bed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Frooti

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

She seems to doing well. Completely unrelated to the accident i'm sure, but as soon as we got home from the hospital she decided that she can now pull herself up to standing on to the furniture... and to get down, she lets go and topples.

Perfect timing when mummy is already petrified of her bumping her little head again.

#27 Spring Chickadee

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

My 14mo DS has had maybe 10 facial bruises, a split lip, a busted nose and grazed face. And that's just his head. I feel so upset to see his perfect little face hurt. Most of those injuries have been unavoidable learning to walk tumbles. But there was one accident that was horrific. I got home after the cleaners had been and popped DS on the floor of our baby proofed living/dining area. He could not  yet walk but could pull to a stand. I ran to the toilet quickly and heard an almighty crash. I ran for my life and found DS's head and upper body pinned under a heavy oak chair that had fallen off the dining table. I scooped him up and he whaled. I rang DH absolutely hysterical unable to put 2 words together. In the 2 minutes it took to explain in English what had happened DS had stopped crying and was babbling and playing with my necklace. I called health direct and they told me that long list of what to look out for and I set my alarm for hourly overnight (DS was already cosleeping so within reach all night). I also had been checked over by my GP. Other than a bruise he was happy, alert and fine. I on the other hand was a wreck!

Now when the cleaners come I take down those chairs straight away!

#28 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Glad she's seems ok OP. How scary though!

Mine fell off the bed just this morning! I'd brought her into bed with me in a daze at 5:20am and fell asleep feeding her... and off she went! She landed about a meter away from the bed, so I think there must have been some force behind the roll. She was fine after about 5 minutes.

On a completely unrelated note OP, my breastfeeding necklace, reccomended by you, arrived today. It's a lovely dark blue one with the wooden rings. So far so good! Thanks for the suggestion :)

EFS

Edited by Woyapp, 15 January 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#29 FeralSingleMum

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

I left DS2 on the change table for a second, not thinking I went to get something out of the cupboard. That was the exact moment DS2 decided it would be a perfect moment to roll for the first time. Our change table was also a chest of draws and one of them was open. He rolled, landed on the edge of one of the drawers and landed on the floor.

It was awful, I never left him unattended again and made sure that I had everything I need before doing dressing him.

#30 Koobie83

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yep - I've been there.

At 6 months I was SO tired and I wasn't thinking and my baby was happily playing with something on the bed while I sorted her books out. I looked away for just a little too long and THUD.... she fell off. I was SO sick with worry for so long but my doctor told me the same thing - the first 4-6 hours is the time when you should be most vigiliant for signs of concussion.

Then I tried a few months later to instal a jumperoo thing (the Taggie brand) thing on the doorframe - SNAP it came straight off. She screamed. I don't think she was hurt because I was holding it but I was worried hte heavy chain hit her.

Don't beat yourself up. We've all been there. If any parent tells you they haven't slipped up like this they are LYING!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.