Little Miss Cadence arrives 3 days early

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda2186

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Finally getting around to writing up little miss' birth story (sorry it'll probably be pretty long!)

Cadence Allegra Lee 3/1/14 6am 3.19kg/7pd 49cm.

Thursday 2/1 I had my routine 39 week appointment with my MW, and we commented saying how high up she still was, and didn't expect her to come anytime soon. I was only 1.5cm dilated. I had another S&S (had one the previous week) but didn't think anything would come of it. My MW had also had 3 deliveries the day before and was exhausted.
After my appt, I went up to Westfield and did some shopping. Was a bit crampy but it was similar to when I had the previous S&S so thought it was normal.
I was home alone as hubby had left earlier in the day to drive to his job in Canberra.
Got home, had dinner (2 pieces of lasagne) and settled down on the couch watching tv. At 7.10pm, I felt 2 'pops' and ran to the toilet thinking it was my waters that broke, but it was just mucous - a whole lot of it! Started getting regular cramps so was running back and forth to the toilet when I decided I had better start timing them since they felt pretty regular. They were about 3:30 apart, lasting about 40 seconds, so I called up my MW at 7:45 to check and she suggested having a shower and a lie down to see if they would slow down, and if not then call her back Had a shower - no change in intensity so called her back and asked whether I should call my parents to come over so they could take me to the hospital. She said yes, so I called them and they were over in 20 minutes - by this time I was in pretty bad pain from the contractions. Vomited up my dinner - at least it came up easily! Tried to stay at home for as long as possible, but by about 9 I couldn't take it so called her back and she said to come up to the hospital.
Called DH to tell him that he better come home (he'd only just checked into his hotel) so he checked out, and jumped back in the car to start driving back home (3 hour trip)
Got to the hospital pretty quick, was put in room 13, got straight on the gas and exercise ball to try to help with the pain. Had to wait for my MW to arrive to check  my dilation - when she arrived I was 3cm. Stayed on the gas and exercise ball for a while and then moved to a chair under the shower. The shower was heaven but I still couldn't stand up while I was having a contraction even though I knew it would help, I was doubled over in pain.
Mum was really great with rubbing my back and talking to me about stuff, my poor dad was really tired so slept in one of the chairs.
DH arrived at midnight - I welcomed him by vomiting from the gas about 10 mins after he arrived - got a shot of Maxalon which was great - had no more nausea.
My MW checked me and I was about 5cm at midnight - contractions felt like they were coming pretty hard and fast.
Mum and dad left just after 1, so it was just DH and I (what we wanted).
I felt like I couldn't take the pain anymore so asked DH to ask my MW for the epidural - she came in and said the anesthetist was in a c-section and couldn't come out yet so we could try the bath (as I had wanted a water birth)
Hopped in the bath but was only in there for maybe 30 minutes as I overheated and couldn't deal with it.
Not long after hopping out the anesthetist turned up and put the epi in - pretty much instant pain relief and I was able to rest for a while as I was hardly feeling any of the contractions. Was hooked up to the machines as well and a catheter was put in.
Had a top up when the pains came back, and I was checked - 9cm so we were nearly there! She broke my waters (that felt weird lol) and said she'd be back shortly to check me again.
At about 5am I was 10cm so all ready to start pushing. Contractions were pretty few and far between so the numbers were watched and I was told when I needed to push. After about 45 minutes and one big double contraction where I got her down pretty far, my MW told me that when she crowned that I needed to stop pushing as she needed to call another MW to come in.
Funny thing was that when she crowned, she must have come out quite quickly as all I heard was 'Stop, stop, stop!' and she had to put her hand on her head to stop her coming out too quick. DH got the other MW who came in quickly and I was able to breathe her out and she was born at 6am.
She went straight onto my chest where I started crying from the overwhelming emotions and she was on me for about an hour before all of the work was done (3 minutes for 3rd stage and I had a 2nd degree tear which had to be sewn up by the doctor) and then she got a feed. She latched on pretty well so I was happy, had a good feed while hubby had a sleep (he hadn't slept all night from the worry about my pain), she had her hearing test (all perfect) and was weighed and all measurements taken, and we were discharged at 10.30am. We were discharged early because of the midwifery program I was in (I got some home visits), we would've only stayed longer if I had issues with feeding or was in pain.
Got home and had my parents and lots of DH's family over that evening to visit which we didn't mind - it actually helped us and was good.
We've been doing great since - she had a small issue with her jaundice levels jumping a lot between day 2 and 3 so was on 3 hourly feeds but it was in the normal levels on day 4 and is clearing although she still has yellowish eyes. She has got the hang of latching and it doesn't really hurt anymore and she's growing well so we're very happy.
DH is completely smitten with her, he's really fantastic with her except for changing poopy nappies (I've changed them all as he starts to dry retch as she has pretty smelly farts and poos lol) and he's been great with helping me out with everything, so I'm counting myself pretty lucky <3

#2 purple_daisy

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Lovely story! Congratulations!

Tell your DH to man up with the nappies, the newborn nappies are NOTHING compared to the smell/texture/volume/colour/revoltingness of what comes out when they start solids, especially meat lol.

#3 mrskay

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your story :)

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Congratulations! Gorgeous name too :)

#5 savannah_8

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Your labour sounds similar to mine except I was induced, I had a epidural as well it was amazing. And had the midwife program come out to visit after my daughter was born. Congratulations  on a gorgeous bubba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.