new car - not suv

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ellie bb

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

hi,  are expecting baby 2 in a few weeks. we need a bigger car but dont want to join the SUV club quite yet so we were thinking something in the middle.

We are looking at a Ford Focus. We need it to be able to bit 2 car seats (DD is 3) and have a boot big enought to fit a pram and ideally some shopping.

anyone got a Focus that can advise if they are good cars and will have enought space? Also, if anyone has any recomendations on any other kind of car then id love to hear it.

thanks!

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

My tiida fits 2 car seats easily and also my mountain buggy urban even with bassinet it had room for shopping. (Mine is a sedan)

#3 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

I had a Honda Jazz as my car for two children.

We upgraded to Citroen C4 Picasso 7 seater when #3 came as we usually have family visit from interstate.

Honda Jazz fit P&T Vibe with doubles kit, portacot, Quinny Zapp pram plus shopping day to day. huge boot for a small car.

#4 Indi

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have the current model Ford Focus.  I can fit 2 booster seats in the back with enough room for DD1 to squeeze between (and I do mean squeeze).  However when DH is in the front seat (not often as I generally just use my car for commuting) he has to push the seat back too far and is met by loud protests from the back seat as they have little leg room.

Boot size is not big but I guess it depends on what size your pram is.  Personally I can't imagine using my car as a family car but seeing how you referred to a Focus as a larger car I'm guessing you're used to something much smaller so maybe it will be OK for you.

I suggest you take you pram to a dealer, put it in the boot and see exactly how much room you will have.

#5 dadwasathome

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

If buying new, the Skoda Octavia is worth a look. A little bit bigger than the Focus (or Golf) with heaps of room in the boot (especially the estate). Good fuel economy in petrol or diesel form.

Edited by dadathome, 20 January 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#6 just roses

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I have the current model Focus. We've had it just short of a year now and LOVE it.

It's wider than our other car (a Mazda 626) and had a wider backseat.

We have two kids, so have an SnS Hiliner booster and a Meridian AHR T&A.

We have been away on holidays a number of times and find we have plenty of space.

In fact, what convinced us that we could get away with a Focus sized car was that we had to borrow my parents' Focus to go away on holidays interstate as ours broke down over Christmas/New Year. We were so impressed, so bought our own.

We also bought with the 2.9 per cent finance. Honestly, you just can't get money that cheap. It's a great deal.

#7 Rachel70

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

We have the new model B class Mercedes and I was sold on the fact that the back seat is so roomy. My DH who is over 6 foot tall sits in the rear seat with room to spare.
Plus having run flat types means the boot is larger. For a small car it is perfect for a family with kids.

#8 CupcakeMumma

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

We've just bought a nissan pulsar, huge boot space, plus plenty of room in the back for car seats.  Quite comfy all around, we went up one from the base model to get air vents in the back.  Even with the front seats all the way back there is room for a grown up in the back.

Edited by CupcakeMumma, 20 January 2014 - 06:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.