FYOS 2014 thread number 2

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#101 Ianthe

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

We had tears yesterday morning and at recess but one of my daughter's friends saw at recess and went and got her. Very happy he has siblings there.

On the plus side he came home and wrote from 1-32 so he could tick all the numbers and we wrote a story together so he is loving the learning.

#102 Ianthe

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

View Postcristina86, on 10 February 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

NSW, seems about right to me, she is reading the books DS was reading in year 1.

Edited for double post.

I have never known a kid to start on 18. She could read before school I am presuming?

View PostGreatmum, on 11 February 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

In NSW children have to start school by 6. So a January child cannot b held back.

That's not true. They have to be enrolled by the time they turn 6. They don't have to actually start. My son is January 3rd and did start this year at 5 but I could have started him next year.

Edited by Ianthe, 12 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#103 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Thanks folks - glad to hear it's not uncommon, and yep great idea to ask the teacher. I guess at her previous things (daycare, vacation care) she's always established a 'best friend' very quickly, so she might just be feeling the lack of that. She did come to me today and tell me that two girls were her friends, who yesterday she said didn't want to play with her (and she hasn't been to school the last 2 days due to illness), so obviously it's not clear cut even in her head.
Hope it sorts itself out soon. She's not as keen to go to school this week as she was last week - was bound to happen, I think school was pretty overrated in her head before she started so it was bound to lose it's shine some time over the next, oh, 13 years!
But it makes me sad that it's wearing off so quickly...

At the moment I don't think they are let out into the 'big area' to play yet, so they are only with other kindy kids, but I guess it still takes a while to gel, and probably DD mostly notices the ones running around with friends they already knew from before, and doesn't notice the people hovering on the edges like herself.

#104 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

I love the idea of a facebook group for the kinder, gizboo - how did that get set up? I wonder if I could do something similar here. Feels weird for me to do it when I'm so new there but I'd like to form a bit of a community.

#105 Grinchette

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

I'm having the same problem Protart. DD tells me she has no one to play with, and then when I asked her what she did at lunch time she tells me she played 'tag'!  She's given me a couple of names of boys & girls in her class that's she's played with so I don't know.  Her teacher said it's normal so early not to have established relationships.  We're behind the 8 ball because DD is on the spectrum so it was never going to be easy, but like your DD she had a best friend at daycare and a group that she easily fit in to.  I guess I'll just have to be patient.

#106 cristina86

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#107 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

I love the idea of a FB group with the other FYOS kids at school but I don't know how it would go here. There are times where I feel, very well different to the other mums. Part of it is probably the fact that I am one of the few mums to only have 2 kids (most have 3-5 kids), I also work and so have to leave early and, well we don't actually live in the suburb the school serves, we live out of town. Which makes play dates hard as the mums never want to come to our house, but feel pressured when it always ends up at their house. I'm sure it will get better. Well I hope so anyway.

On another note, does everyone else have issues with carparks at their primary school? T was in a super grouchy mood this morning, which spiralled into me yelling at them because we were going to be late (and him being punished and not having tiny teddies in his lunchbox). So we visited my mum to make his happier. OMG what a difference 5 mins took to getting a carpark. There is about 100 spaces but you wouldn't know it. Surely if you live nearby (the suburb isn't that big. The whole town has a population of 9000) you don't HAVE to drive your children to school. Another of the primary schools has a similar problem (that is a vent for another day, as the parents take up most of the spaces at the hospital).

Edited by mayahlb, 12 February 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#108 cristina86

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#109 Mynewname

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

I've just read all the thread..

Good to hear that most of the kiddies have settled down.

Mine is pretty happy in her class but seems lost in the playground. She hasn't made any new friends, instead clings to the two she knows from preschool who unfortunately don't really seem that interested in her.

I'm not sure if it's worth talking to the teacher about as I'm unsure what she can do. It's very early days so I'm hoping it just settles down.....fingers crossed!

#110 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yep parking is nuts at DD's school - there is no carpark, and if you don't get there half an hour beforehand there is NO parking except for miles away - which is just great as I'm heavily pregnant and can't walk miles - but turning up half an hour early with a 4yo to entertain is no picnic either. I can't believe so many schools seem to have NO system for dealing with this - ours and most of the local ones seem to have no sort of 'pickup' zone where a teacher can wait at the gate with kids - they fully expect us to park somewhere, come right into the school grounds, and wait outside the class. Not sure if that's true for all years but it is for kindy - and that alone is 80 children!

#111 gizboo

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Carparks lol
Our college is a K-12 with 1500 kids, so its senior students, teachers and parents all fighting for car spots. Its a mess.
Its why DS2 started catching the bus home at the end of the first week of Kindergarten (with older siblings) and does Kiss'n'drop in the mornings.

#112 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

gizboo - this carpark is the one that is for the younger grades (4yrk-yr2). They have another one around the block for the older kids as well as a kiss and drop area. T is a bit too young for that yet though.

Well you can add t to the kids that have lost stuff already. We are missing one pair of $70 shoes, and one $10 drink bottle. And its only the start of week 3. I also found out that this week they are doing WA's version of the best start testing, the ON Entry assessments. I feel a great deal of angst about this because I made the mistake of asking a teacher about what they are expected to know. I know it sounds bad but I fully expect T to fail in most areas. I want to be able to believe that he can do most things but the reality is that he isn't up there and it is so very hard to actually get him to articulate or show that he knows these concepts. He could know all the bits they think he should know but actually getting him to communicate them or to get him to understand what they want from him is the bit where everything starts to fall apart.

Oh and I HATE the morning school run. Trying to get the kids ready and out of the house the last week has turned into an absolute nightmare. T now had a visual list to help him understand what I am asking and what he needs to focus on, but trying to get him not to take 30mins just to get dressed is like banging your head against the wall. Not to mention my other darling child who currently refuses to do anything without screaming chocolate or no. I think having a kid in school is turning out 100 times harder then I thought :S

#113 gabbigirl

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the update everyone...sounds like our issues are similar...

We had the parent info session with the teacher today.  My dd's teacher read us a poem about her teaching philosophy and she teared up, bless her. My dd adores her so I am really happy about that.  

Parking  is a bit of a pain here but we walk most days, thankfully.  But just looking forward to some cooler temps. It is revolting and humid right now.

#114 Grinchette

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I happily pay the $10 ASC fees to avoid picking up at 3.  I never realised what a nightmare it was!

#115 Grinchette

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

mayahlb - how do you lose shoes? And $70 ones at that? Ouch!

We're down two pinnies in week 3.  There's probably a pile of them sitting in the corner of the playground somewhere all with my child's name in them.

#116 newphase

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

My DS attends a small school, 260 kids and a lot walk alone or with parents so I have not encountered a car park problem My older kids PS' a were shocking though.
DS had his testing thing last Wed and meet the teacher thing is next Monday at 1.10pm for me.
He still says he hates school and doesn't want to go.  Says it is to long.

Edited by newphase, 17 February 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#117 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Newphase - I think that is half of T's problem. 5 days a week takes a lot out of little bodies. And he goes to afterschool care 4 days a week (yah, no fighting for a car park! and DH will do pick up on Fridays, because he finishes at 2)

tiredbuthappy - I don't know how he loses shoes. But he ALWAYS does. It is one thing that causes endless frustration at our house. Only reason I paid so much for these ones is because they were literally the ONLY size 12's I could find in town :dry:. He has also managed to lose one of his thongs I only bought a month ago. Nevermind that we went through 10, yes 10 drink bottles last year until I gave up and started just giving him the plastic pump bottles.

#118 sophiasmum

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Kill me now - home readers have started. Having been through this with DD1 & DS, I remember how painful it is learning to read. She kept forgetting the title of the book last night even though it is repeated on every page. Argh!

#119 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Sophiasmum - I'm in denial about there ever being the possibility of homereaders. I can already tell it is going to be a painful experience with my son.

:dance: A few changes and this morning the school run was great. Well until I got to the school and had to park on the kerb anyway. But I unplugged the TV last night so there was no possibility of T waking up early and turning it on (he has memorises the number for the cartoon channels and can turn the TV on). And I printed out a whole heap of picture card with writing underneath to make him a visual schedule/list to follow to get ready in the morning. And it worked and he was happy to know what to do next. Hopefully it continues.

#120 gabbigirl

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

View Postsophiasmum, on 18 February 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Kill me now - home readers have started. Having been through this with DD1 & DS, I remember how painful it is learning to read. She kept forgetting the title of the book last night even though it is repeated on every page. Argh!
Ha ha  you can tell I am new to this, as I am currently enjoying helping my daughter to read.  Am loving watching the little light bulbs that are going off in her head.   How long will this last for??

#121 newphase

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Sophiasum. ..i am with u re the readers.  Same words on every page yet light bulb seems off. Argh!

Mayahlb...sounds positive. And gotta laugh re the TV.  I had to disconnect the aerial lead once as DD new how to put it back on at the wall.

Gabbigirl...i loved reading with my eldest now 14. She loved learning to read, so if the light bulb is on for your girl you are onto a winner.  My boys however have taught me never to count my chickens before they hatch lol. Painful experience,  though I don't remember my 12yo being as hard as DS2.

Drop off today was good, no tears and he seemed happy. Touch wood it continues.  He did fall asleep in the car on way to school however and woke just as we pulled up...20 min trip.

Edited by newphase, 18 February 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#122 lynneyours

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

View Postgabbigirl, on 18 February 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

Ha ha  you can tell I am new to this, as I am currently enjoying helping my daughter to read.  Am loving watching the little light bulbs that are going off in her head.   How long will this last for??

Me too - I am very excited for her.  

We're getting 3 readers a night.  She LOVES that she can read books!

She reads them to me, her Dad, her sister, my sister - anyone who will listen.  :D

#123 newphase

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Lynnemine. ..great that she loves it so much, I remember those days long ago!

#124 gabbigirl

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

My little girl came home from school today and seriously said ' I am really really in love with a boy, mum"

Bless her.

For now.  Not sure I'll feel this way forever.

#125 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

We start home readers next week. I think we are doing things a little bit differently though. The teacher said last night that they will be a mix of reading levels (we get a pack of 4 for the week). And it is mostly about teaching the behaviours of reading. Such as this is the title, point to the words to read, can you recognise any words, this is what these words are, these form a sentence, this is how the pictures relate to the words, you read left to right etc.
Is that basically what everyone else does? Or do you actually get them to try and recognise the words and sound them out. Everyone seems to do it differently then here

But the information session was good. I also managed to get a quick chat with his teacher and she said that he has been very good in the classroom and trying very hard, and that the aides. A bit bossy (tells the other kids that it is time to clean up, he can get very ridged about rules and struggles to understand that sometimes they are flexible), but he is going well. that is a relief to say the least. She also told me that the aides are very impressed with how he behaves and his ability to at least try and understand and communicate or attempt tasks. Which just goes to show that all the long hours or therapy, homework were totally worth it.

gabbigirl - that is soooo cute.

DS wanted to take the green tree frog he caught (at 4am this morning :sleep: ) for "news". I had to remind him that his day for news wasn't for another 2 weeks and that his teacher is scared of frogs. He doesn't quiet understand why she would be afraid as he isn't. And if he isn't then no one can be apparently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.