FYOS 2014 thread number 2

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#151 cristina86

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#152 cristina86

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#153 Gumbette

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Definately.  I should be buying shares in 'stuck on you'.  I'm hoping they'll be handed back eventually.

#154 mayahlb

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hopefully they turn up tiredbuthappy. We started a combination of bribery/making him pay for items in a currency he understands so T stops losing items. It came about after he lost the $70 sandals he is suppose to wear to school. Basically I went over how much each item is worth in weekly amounts of tiny teddies. Seems to work for now, we have not lost another drink bottle or pair of shoes. (shoes means 5 weeks without teddies, shoes means 2 weeks without etc.) Considering the teddies are actually a bribe to get him eat all of his lunch it is working well. Maybe something similar will work? (This is coming from a mum who is glad to FINALLY have a currency that works with her child. Nothing else has worked previously, he just didn't care). Oh and I label everything yet they were always disappearing. It is vastly annoying.

cristina - hmm that is a tough one. Maybe have a chat with the teacher bout the matter. Even though she is working at a higher level in some areas doesn't mean they should expect everything to be at that level. Most kids this age have atrocious handwriting because it is just where their fine motor skills are developmentally wise. At least this is what T's OT has told me. So it is unfair to expect her to be so far ahead, just because she is further ahead in math and reading.

Edited by mayahlb, 05 March 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#155 cristina86

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#156 mayahlb

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

cristina - hmm I guess you could go somewhere in between with her. Maybe have a chat with your DD about it. I know there are bits that T hates and will try to avoid (namely handwriting because he has fine motor skill and hand strength issues) but we do it in fun ways and talked about why he needs to do it at school so that he can learn and it will becomes easier. I chatted to the teacher and we decided that we will make writing "fun" by teaching him how to write letters and notes to his cousin who lives 2700kms away. Between that and talking to him about why we have to do these things he has improved in his willingness to do activities. Can you do something similar with your DD? She seems very switched on, so a chat might help. But as you say she is only 4 so letting her have fun but giving her challenges where appropriate is more likely to foster a love of learning and school then forcing her to do stuff she doesn't want. 4 is still so little, they have plenty of time to be doing other stuff the more academic learning (I will admit here that I am a big advocate of play based learning and am very disappointed that Australia is trying to force a more academic structure on such young kids. One reason I am very happy with our school is that it follows a play based curriculum for the first 2 years of formal schooling. FYOS is 50% and yr 1 is 25%)

#157 gizboo

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

DS2 has really settled in to school, he is just so happy and I couldn't ask for more.
I'm waiting for the novelty to wear off a bit, expecting it any day now... :p

#158 lynneyours

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Me too gizboo.

DD1 has gotten a merit certificate for pupil of the week.  I'm so very proud of her, she is such a little superstar, so having a little skite.  :)

#159 newphase

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

DS has settled in to school over the last week and a bit, no more crying he now runs off to play before bell time.
First full week this week, 5 days, no more Wednesdays off. He  was asking how many more days until a day off on Tuesday and said 'gosh its a long time away isn't it'.

Edited by newphase, 07 March 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#160 gabbigirl

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Nice to hear everyone's updates.  My little girl is mostly int he swing of things.  She is even riding her bike to school, ( with me yelling at her to watch for cars on the drivewAy!)

The noise in the classroom doesn't bother her anymore, and she seems to be learning ok, I think! She  is exhausted a lot. So am I.  The days are just too short for me to get much done.

#161 Ianthe

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I am really happy with how Oscar is doing. He was a bit resistant at first but now he is completely in the swing of things and is so keen to spell and write things and wants me to read to him all the time. He is on his first few sight words and they are bringing home regular story books for us to read to them, no home readers as yet. And they just bring home one sheet of paper for homework for them to trace a letter and draw a picture. Thank goodness for that!

I am helping with reading groups at school tomorrow, I am excited.

Re the other mums, don't be intimidated. Our school is pretty new, opened in 2005 and I have had kids there the whole time and I still feel nervous about meeting people. I probably look as though I am part of the furniture though.

#162 Avidreader

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Well I found out today that my DS is being bullied by a charming boy from my DD's year 1 class. He calls him names, laughs at him, takes things off him and even pulled his pants down last week. Seriously not impressed and am off to visit school in the morning!

#163 mayahlb

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

newphase - I'm glad he has settled in well now

gabbigirl - oh that is good the noise isn't a issue anymore.

avidreader - I hope it went well this morning and they are putting in strategies to stop the bullying. I worry about that with my kids, one of my biggest fears is that they will be bullied :( Your poor boy as well.

#164 lynneyours

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Avidreader - I really hope they nip that in the bud straight away and no more bullying occurs.  
I don't get why some kids become bullys - do they learn the behaviour at home?

Still a 4 day week for us (VIC) as we had Monday off, but it is 4 days in a row, so I think she'll be so tired!
And she's at after school care, no need, just wanted to as her friends are, and she thought it sounded exciting.
I'm going to use the time for Uni (future) and housework (today). :)

#165 CallMeFeral

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

3 readers a night - holey moley!

Avidreader - omg that's awful. Didn't think we'd have to deal with that sort of stuff already - what did school say??? And how did you find out? I find it so hard getting info out of kids this age...

#166 gabbigirl

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Avid reader, that's awful.  It happened to me as a little girl and it still makes me so angry when I think about it. I hope the school deals with it well.

#167 mayahlb

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Well we have an appointment with the teacher next week to go over T's IEP. Will be nice to find out how he is going with everything. The aide pulled me aside and said T was acting strange yesterday, every hyper, no concentration and bouncing off the walls. Much as it sounds horrible, its nice to see that it wasn't just me, or my imagination that he has been acting like this at the moment. (I have been ready to rip my hair out since Friday because his behavior has gone crazy. He's had me in tears every day. I love him with all my heart but he is a very very hard child to parent at times).

Readers - we get 4 a week that are a mix of levels. Our school is more about developing reading behaviors at this stage then anything. This week, well wow they are much harder ones, with one easy one. I don't think T will be memorizing these ones, not that I can get him to concentrate past a minute at the moment anyway.

Avidreader - I really hope things have been changed for your boy.

#168 Gumbette

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Avidreader, sorry to hear about your DS.  How did it go?

#169 Avidreader

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

I went to the school yesterday and they went and spoke to the boys tormenting DS. They said it was DS who was to blame and that he had hit at them with his hat. Luckily I already told the teacher about how DS had used his hat to defend himself when the boys came at him. Seriously he is in Kinder- why would he randomly hit at year 1 boys? I hope they saw that DS' story was far more plausible and backed by my DD and also another year 1 boy who reported what they were doing to DS. Anyway it seems to have worked because he reports the boys are staying away and he is happier!

#170 gizboo

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Almost the end of term 1! Can't believe it.

We had our parent/teacher interviews last night, and it was just too easy. DS2 is exactly where he needs to be at this point academically, he is doing well socially and while he likes pushing the boundaries in the playground, he is an angel in class lol His teacher mentioned that he is a polar opposite personality to his big brother (who she also taught for FYOS), which is no secret ;)

How has everyone elses term gone?

#171 Ianthe

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

All good here. A very happy, engaged boy who has made friends and loves telling me all about his day. He goes to bed and night and lies there counting and spelling :lol: I couldn't be happier.

#172 newphase

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Avidreader...glad the bullying issues were dealt with and seems to be a nil issue now.

Glad to hear positive stories from other parents re their little'ns progress to date. Love the counting and spelling at bed time Lanthe! And Gizboo, your DS sounds similar to mine thus far lol

DS has settled well at school now and seems to love it. Tells me re his friends, has been in trouble for hitting twice or three times since he started (gulp- hard having a brother 7yrs older too, rough play and all at home) but all apparently related to association with one particular child and said child has had to have his parents in for a meeting re his behavior, so hopefully DS can stay on the straight and narrow now! I don't now the full story but this child is turning 7 this year rather than 6 (or even 5) so there is possibly a delay in his learning or other reason (illness?). Anyway no hitting from my son in last 2 weeks. :ninja:

#173 gabbigirl

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

Last day of term today.  Gotta say I am looking  forward to not rushing around.  Though the holidays are looking busy already catching up with everyone!

My little girl has had a beautiful start to school, we were lucky enough to get a wonderful teacher and she seems to be enjoying learning. Let's hope this continues.

I hope everyone enjoys their holidays!

#174 cristina86

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#175 gabbigirl

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

View Postcristina86, on 04 April 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

We are in NSW, so one more week to go here.

Oh I didn't realise that!  Thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.