FYOS 2014 thread number 2

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#26 mayahlb

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

New phase and Lena do you think maybe they have realised what is actually happening and are a bit unsettled? Hopefully it settles back to happiness quick enough.

We got t's class list today. He has one friend at least though I didn't recognise any of the other names. But on a positive note I know his teacher :) I work at the uni she did her degree through and know she is dedicated and hardworking as well as being well a fairly great teacher though she is young. And she has worked with children that have special needs. Probably helps that she has pretty much met t on and off since he was a tiny baby as well. So I am hoping this means everything is going to go well.

#27 Simply Me

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

DS2 told me to leave and to make sure I take all the other parents with me... This is a place for children to learn, adults have had their turn!

I guess I have been told.

#28 Gumbette

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Day 1 today, and we're already minus a hat...it's going to be an expensive year...

Edited by TiredbutHappy, 31 January 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#29 newphase

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Mayahlb Yes, I think it is a case of he knew what a full school day meant and he didn't want to repeat it. He told me in between tears, its to long. He is different to my older two, they both went off and never looked back. But DS2 has been spoilt by Grandma, and has had her around quite a lot unlike when my older two were younger as she worked then.

SimplyMe lol re your DS, sounds like a confident little guy.

Tiredbuthappy so far I have been lucky re lost items, or lack thereof...touch wood number 3 follows his old siblings (14 and 12). He was good at Kinder so hopefully same at school. I hope it ends at a hat for you.

#30 Gumbette

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Newphase, fingers crossed!

#31 mayahlb

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hope the hat turns up tiredbuthappy. Mine is very good at losing things. Not normally at school but between home and school.

#32 aluminium

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

First week done and DD#1 LOVES school. Yay for school :)

I'm so glad I started her this year (the year she turns six) she's so confident and ready to learn; has no trouble sitting still, following instructions etc.

:)

#33 gabbigirl

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostTiredbutHappy, on 31 January 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Day 1 today, and we're already minus a hat...it's going to be an expensive year...
It took us one week to lose a hat.

#34 Gumbette

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

Day 2.....she's lost her school bag *sigh*.

Good news is we found her hat.

#35 EB-Marion

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

My first started today.. he was fine.. !!!
thinking tomorrow might be a little different, ive heard 2nd day is when the nerves really go.

how many Kinder classes where you are?
we have 5 and a half classes...  WOW.. that is a big intake!

#36 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

First day done... she loved it :-)  hopefully the enthusiasm stays fresh!

#37 Gumbette

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

5 and a half classes - how many children in each class?  That's huge.  We have 2 streams with 23 in each class.

#38 cristina86

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

-

Edited by cristina86, 07 February 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#39 lynneyours

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

4 classes of 18-20 for us.  Day 2 today and she was almost as excited as day 1.

#40 Gumbette

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Isn't it fabulous when they love going? 18-20, that's a good size class.  Our class has the birthdays up too, and yes DD will turn 6 this year.

#41 newphase

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Tiredbuthappy I am trying to comprehend how your daughter lost her school bag lol.

EB-Marion My DS definitely was worse (tears) the 2nd day. Hopefully you don't have that.

3 Prep classes here, 19 in DS's class and 21 in the other two. Enrolments are up from last year, they had 2 Prep classes and a P-1 class.

At my now High schools boy old primary, there was to be 6 grade Preps with about 24 in each, one reason why I chose another school for DS2.

DS was telling me all last night he wasn't going to school. It was to long and he wasn't going.

In the car the whole way there (20min drive) he was saying he wasn't going and gaging/dry retching, saying he felt sick...which he also did 1st day of school.
My older two (14 and 12) just ran off and didn't look back 1st day and onwards.

I wonder if there is a b'day list (DS would be an older one 6 at end  of April. I would be curious to know the age mix), I wouldn't know, we aren't allowed in, kids are to go in with their bags alone (bar 1st day).

Edited by newphase, 03 February 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#42 cristina86

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

-

#43 Gumbette

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

View Postnewphase, on 03 February 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Tiredbuthappy I am trying to comprehend how your daughter lost her school bag lol.

I know right? School rang me at 8.40 am and said excuse me Mrs x, where did you leave your daughter's bag when you dropped her off this morning, as it appears to be missing.  Well, on her back, because the classroom was still locked....  Apparently instead of taking it into her room as instructed, she decided it was easier to just dump it in the assembly area when her friends showed up.

#44 karkat

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

2 prep classes here, 25 in DD's and around the same in the other.

Week 2 for us here and DD still doing well, had some tears last Friday (not in class) when getting out of the car. Fortunately it was more tiredness and thinking she was going to miss out as DD2 and 3 and I were off to our nearest major centre for a dentist trip for me.

She's come out with some interesting comments about school, firstly she didn't like it because she wasn't allowed to go to the toilet by herself (teacher aide stood outside the toilet block), she doesn't want to go because they do "dancing" everyday, haven't asked the teacher about that one. Best one this evening was that she said "this is my pre-frontal cortex" while pointing to her forehead, they do a whole heap about how their brains affect their emotions etc, so at least she's listening!!

Plenty of kids up here turning 5 this year (although I believe QLD is a bit different to other states, it's not commonly done to hold back up here), 2 of DD's friends from kindy are 5 in June and I know of another 4 in her class this year that have birthday's from late April-June and they seem to be coping just as well as the July-Dec kids.

#45 cristina86

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

-

#46 mayahlb

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Tiredbuthappy - sorry but I find that funny lol

We survived day 1. Tristan only told me that I didn't pack enough lunch for him and he was sad because he didn't get lunch at daycare because he was late. (They feed him arvo tea). I packed him a bunch of grapes and half a pita bread pocket stuff with Ham and salad (they have a shared fruit platter for morning tea). This is the child that came home with a lunch box containing his lunch not even touched for the entire year of 4 yr kindy. So I guess I need to pack more food tomorrow.

Our school had 3.5 classes of FYOS. The 0.5 is strange as it is a composite class with 4yr kindy, so the kindy kids will only be there for 2.5 day out of 5. The classes are about 20 kids each. The classrooms are huge though and each class has a teacher and teachers aide as well as a floating teachers aide who works in each FYOS class depending on need. Being WA there is very little in the way of flexibility as to the cut off age. To delay you basically have to have a report stating why from an education psychologist and even then it can be hard to get approval to delay entry. At least this is what I was told when looking into it. So there is a range of ages of kids born from July 1st to 30 June. I think the birthdays are fairly well spread over the year.

#47 EB-Marion

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

thats interesting about lack of food mayahlb..
I had 2 small homemade muffins for his little lunch (afternoon tea) and he complained  - i packed too much food - it took him too long to eat them and not enough time to "play" ..

#48 *Lena*

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

DS has been going to school fine ever since his teary Friday. By far the most exciting thing for him so far was ordering his lunch yesterday. His hotdog and slushy was scrumptious so I am told. Its the most I have gotten out of him so far about school.

We have 2 classes not sure how many in each. I am guessing DS would be one of the oldest as he is 6 on the 27th of this month, so he would be a whole year older then some. I am glad I held him back though he has grown up so much and is much more ready. It seems they have a class of the older ones and the younger kids are in the other class.

I have found DS is eating less then he did at pre school last year.

Tiredbuthappy- LOL at the lost bag already. Hopefully she has lost all she is going to this year already haha

#49 newphase

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Well day 4 and DS stilk saying he doesn't want to go to school all the time and cried again today. So different to his siblings. He had a great day yesterday he told me and we had a little chat and I thought maybe we were going to be good from then onwards. Hmm.
Day off tomorrow,  as is for Wed for all of Feb. Testing next Wednesday.  
Hard part too is I have to wake hin earlier than he needs to get up for school as he has to come with me to train station at 7.10am to drop his siblings off at. And going to ed earlier than 8pm doesn't work due to daylight savings

#50 Gumbette

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

She did it again.....

DH dropped her off with strict instructions to take her bag to her classroom when the bell rings BEFORE she starts to play. He then hid and watched her.  Bell rings, and well, it started positive, she took her bag off and walked towards her classroom.  Unfortunately, en route sees a bunch of kids on the monkeybars, so she proceeds to dump her bag outside the Y2 classrooms.

DH pounced on her and made her take her bag into her room before returning to the playground.

I'm hoping for better luck on day 4....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.