2011 bub - 3yr old kinder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cassandra.c.crane

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Has anyone with a 2011 child started kinder this year?
How are you finding it?
DD starts next week.
She's very excited but iam very nervous.
She had a interview and the teacher accepted her into the class stating that she seems more then ready but i am wondering how others with young kindergardeners are going??
particularly with kids potentially over a year older?
Are they struggling? fitting right in? picking up things already?

#2 purpledelight

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

My DD did three year old Kinder last year (March 2010) she was all good with the older kids because no matter how old you are there is a wide variety of needs and abilities. Took a while to settle in but no more than the children who hadn't been in any care/away from primary carer. There were still some crying on the last day of the year at drop off. Mine happily skipped in from about Week Five.

She is now in 4 year old Kinder, is much shorter/smaller but "holds her own" (She will NEVER be tall anyway, so this is not really an issue!)

There is a reason for cut off dates. I personally believe that you send them when they are due to go, unless a professional (or yourself) sees that they are NOT ready.

We sent her to three year old and kept in close contact with the teacher to see if they thought she should "repeat" three year old Kinder. We thought she was on par with her "peers", even those that were that year older, but trusted her teacher to keep us informed. (Also will be doing this toward the end of this year.)

Prior to children, I was a FYOS teacher and had children in my class ranging from 4 to 6 on the first day. Someone has to be the eldest and someone the youngest. Doesn't mean they are more or less ready or will have a smoother transition.

How exciting that your little one is growing up!

#3 Cassandra.c.crane

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Purpledelight! thats very helpful! Are you planing to start school early or repeat 4yr old? or wait and see?

#4 nickym83

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

How did she go Cass?
M just started school this year and is loving it, He had done 2 years of preschool for 2-3 days a week so it wasn't a drastic transition here to start big school. less than a week and they will be 5 years :S where has the time gone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.