Breastfeeding study used to misrepresent Breastmilk - by EB!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#51 Oriental lily

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

MODS since Taddie is constantly derailing these threads with her aggressive insensitive opinions (true or not) surely before this one like the other is locked she can be asked to leave. Her attitude makes constructive and interesting debate impossible .

#52 LeggyBlonde

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

View PostEBeditor, on 03 March 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

If breast feeding is not possible, what else can we change in the artificial baby milk (formula) or in the home environment to ensure optimum development for a child?

The government? And I don't mean to the most recent past one, they weren't doing any better.  The health and education systems?  Give every parent and child all the free support they need in the health system for optimal development, then give EVERY SINGLE CHILD A FREE QUALITY EDUCATION, without fear or favour.

That might do it.

Oh, sorry, you said in the home environment?  Still there would be a trickle down effect, no?

Edited by LeggyBlonde, 03 March 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#53 taddie

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

I've been dealing with the pile on for almost two days now, forgive the snark. I can't back down from what I know to be correct. Sue me.

#54 GettingBusier

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

View Postlucky 2, on 03 March 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

What conclusions have you drawn from that study?
The study is about duration of bfing, it showed that babies that get 3-4 months of exclusive bfing (followed by combination feeding and solids with bfing continuing >6 months) are not much different from babies exclusively breast feed for 6 months.
What conclusions are you drawing from this and what is it that women must be informed about?
It doesn't compare formula fed babies with breastfed babies, it is about what effects the exclusive bfing 6 months has over only 3-4 months exclusive, with bfing continuing.
There were some extra in the exclusive bfed group, ie less GIT disease and some other benefits from the mothers.
I don't understand what your interest is in this particular study to be using it in this discussion?

See ,to me, what you have described is the most relevant kind of study for my experience (and that of most people I have ever spoken to irl about it). The question of whether or not to try and breastfeed is a much easier intellectual decision made in theory (and my experience is that most people in au will try). Once baby is born and it isn't going swimmingly well then how to maximize the benefits (ie how long to persevere for etc) is a much greyer area that I find very interesting.

#55 taddie

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Oriental Lily if you don't want to feel attacked, you are able to stop refreshing the thread.

You have put a large amount of effort into getting my opinions shut down and to get this thread closed even though it was created to address a facebook post by EB today, and is surely valid and relevant.

What you are doing is bullying. Please stop it.

I disagree with your opinion but you are free to post it here.

#56 Oriental lily

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

snort

Bullying.

Even though your consistently insulting the intelligence of every member who was formula fed or their formula fed child..

Don't play the victim. You look ridiculous.

#57 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

Taddie, your posts are coming across quite overbearing in this thread, with some quite inflammatory remarks.
That is what will have this thread closed.

#58 taddie

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

I haven't insulted the intelligence of anyone. IQ are different for all kinds of reasons. This is one reason IQs were different from the genetic potential the individual had.

You are insulted because you want to be.

How can what I've said be overbearing? Are you reading the attacks against me here? I defend and I'm overbearing?

Really can't win can I.

EB Ed would you please also have a word to the pile on about their delivery. They say make outrageous extrapolations about what they think I am saying because they don't like the underlying facts. This is how they shut debate on this topic down over and over, so much so that many EB members have given up even engaging.

I am quite sick of being accused of dreadful and ridiculous things.

Edited by taddie, 03 March 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#59 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

If anyone feels they have been attacked in any post please use the report button.

#60 Guest_Cat_Blessed_*

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

View Posttaddie, on 03 March 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Oh and for all those who poohed the idea that correct gut colonization was important to babies:

2013: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23433508

"The intestinal microbiota plays an important role in the development of post-natal gastrointestinal functions of the host. Recent advances in our capability to identify microbes and their function offer exciting opportunities to evaluate the complex cross talk between microbiota, intestinal barrier, immune system and the gut-brain axis. This review summarizes these interactions in the early colonization of gastrointestinal tract with a major focus on the role of intestinal microbiota in the pathogenesis of feeding intolerance in preterm newborn. The potential benefit of early probiotic supplementation opens new perspectives in case of altered intestinal colonization at birth as preventive and therapeutic agents"

Or you know, you could just breastfeed and get the probiotics you need the way you're supposed to.

I agree. Mothers are so stupid. They should just breastfeed, and if a baby can't breastfeed then Darwin's Law should automatically apply the baby should be left to starve to death and die because its obviously a stupid, useless baby born from a stupid, useless mother.

#61 taddie

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 03 March 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

taddie, you keep referring to "we". Who are "we"? You and who else?

I'll have to let my mother know that she has made my brothers and myself be not quite the people we should have been because she only breastfed us for about 3 months each and then put us on 1970s formula. I'm sure that she'll be thrilled to know that.

Three months is enough. Old school gave other foods around 4 months including egg which has DHA.

#62 Feral Kitty

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Yes to better education. What helps my family the most is the fact we have always had story time together and great importance is put on school. Not a day is missed unless it really can't be helped.

I'm a mum who breastfed,  but without other factors things could be rather different.

Having a sound knowledge of healthy eating, strong family bonds and a commitment to their education is of great importance.

#63 Soontobegran

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

View Posttaddie, on 03 March 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

Perhaps carnation milk has DHA in it, I have no idea. If there wasn't a supplemental source of DHA then yes.

Nope...1925 version of Carnation Evapourated Milk had no DHA in it...probably still doesn't which is why it is not recommended as anything but an emergency formula.

#64 taddie

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

I don't like reporting other people. I in fact have never used the report button.

I dislike being assumed to be overbearing and cruel because I don't back down in the face of their attempts to crush dissenting views and stifle presentation of facts that don't fit their narrative. That might be strong, that's not overbearing.

I get it, the cool kids don't like me. I'm a big girl I don't have to be liked. I do have to present the truths I know and I think I should have the opportunity to do that without being so viciously insulted.

#65 Soontobegran

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

View Posttaddie, on 03 March 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

Three months is enough. Old school gave other foods around 4 months including egg which has DHA.

What is old school Taddie ?
And you know that they all gave foods at 4 months how?

#66 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Closed for review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.