Is it worth $6k?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Nelly83

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

I think it is worth it depending on how your birth goes too.
I much preferred an OB stitching me if need be than a registrar, heard too many horror stories working in the medical field myself..

But each to there own.

Midwives and my OB were amazing at my deliveries, but first time round was glad to have a fully trained OB stitching that new exactly what he was doing.

#52 Belaire

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

With DS2 I went home after the 4hour minimum but I certainly wasn't asked to. As it was 2am when that was up they did ask if I wanted to stay but I wanted to be at home. That was my express wish so long as there were no complications.

#53 Charmzy

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Wow I can't believe the short amount of time between birth and going home! To me that just sounds crazy! How do they know baby is even okay after such a short amount of time? Feeding has barely started let alone any chance of establishing, things like jaundice can't be diagnosed etc   I wonder if theres a high incidence of readmission at the hospitals that are getting rid of their patients so quickly?  

My births were all csect first was a 5 night stay / baby stayed 6 weeks (prem), 2nd was a 4night night stay for me and baby even though baby was prem then had home nurse visiting every few days until about 5 weeks as baby continued to lose weight, 3rd was a 4 night stay to a term baby, 4th was a 4 night stay which I tried to get discharged on the 3rd but was told although baby was ready to go I was not ready so was told no and with the 5th I needed 7 nights but baby needed 8 so we were in for 8 nights. All public.    The only time I felt pushed out the door was with my 2nd which was baby boom time with the baby bonus.. she was born June 28th we were discharged July 2nd and the hospital was chaos from the 1st July, I didnt think they should have sent her home yet being prem.

Anyway bit of a ramble there but wanted to share my experiences as theres so many that left quickly and mine were longer stays.  

OP if you are worried about not being ready and in a position you can afford the 6k then I would pay it for the better care, if you cant really afford it I'd look at other hospital options and failing that I'd express your concerns about the early check out with the hospital more, if you don't feel like you are being heard then you could speak with a social worker at the hospital and they could probably help advocate for you.

Best of luck.

#54 Bluenomi

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'd pay the $6k. No way I'd be going home after 24 hours let alone 4. Plus I loved my OB, he was awesome

#55 iwanttosleepin

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

For me - not worth the $6k.
I've had 2 births in the public system and will be going public again this time.  And yes i have private insurance and could afford the extra.
Went home after 4 days with DS1 - born at 36 weeks and 2kg.
Went home after 8 hours with DS2 - great experience.

#56 Chaos in stereo

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

^ very similar experience in a public hospital.

6 days for DS, he needed monitoring.
6 hours for DD, she popped out and straight onto the boob.

Both times we received excellent care, and it was all free, apart from a couple of ultrasounds during my pregnancies.

If I had a high-risk pregnancy or had anxieties that could be assuaged by paying $6k for an OB I would do it, otherwise it seems a big unnecessary cost.

EFS

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 15 March 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#57 Mercurial

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Four hours is too quick for my liking.  My sister went home after four hours, though that was through a birthing centre attached to the hospital rather than an actual hospital birth.  It was more designed for women who wanted to be in and out.

#58 Mumma_krs

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

There is no chance I would waste $6000 to have my own room or ob/gyn. In my opinion it is such a waste of money that could be spent on so any other things. There is always the chance that your ob/gyn won't make the birth anyway so it is a big gamble to me.

I'm sure if there was a life or death situation the doctor in the public hospital is just as capable as a private ob/gyn. I would say they have dealt with complicated births etc. The public hospital in my area has one of the best NICUs in the state and the people who have paid $6000 to have a
Baby next door in the private hospital are transferred to the public hospital if there are major complications anyway.

If having the "security" of a familiar face is worth $6000 to you then go for it and hope they are available for the birth otherwise you are just paying $6000 for a room.

I had an emergency c-section first time round and a planned c-section with baby number 2 both times public and both times a very professional and amazing experience.

Ps sorry for rambling it's only my opinion, it really is a personal choice and I know you will find arguments for private and public. Each to there own as it is your body and your baby.

Edited by Mumma_krs, 23 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#59 seayork2002

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

I had my son in the UK where I did not pay a cent - or pence :) - I did not care which Doctor or Midwife I had and was home in about 12 hours after the birth - I don't see the point of paying to have a baby (if there is a choice I mean)

#60 Caribou

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

4 hours is really too quick IMO, but public hospitals are terribly short staffed everywhere, so unless an issue arises, they do encourage you to go home quickly. A number of my friends who did public all went home after 4 hours, none where offered to move to a general ward, I suspect they would have been if pushed/asked them, but probably too scared/shocked to consider asking and just went.

I'd be paying the 6k, but only because I am high risk. It really depends if you want to stay longer or go I guess.

#61 seayork2002

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Women give birth at home with no problems so what on earth is the problem with going home soon after the birth?

#62 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I've been private in a public hospital,  and they have an agreement so zero out of pocket.

They have a 4 hr policy but but they certainly don't kick you out. I'm high risk and agreed to stay 24 hrs after my second birth, but next time I'll either be staying home (private midwife is only about 5k) or coming home ASAP.

#63 Soontobegran

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostNelly83, on 15 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

I think it is worth it depending on how your birth goes too.
I much preferred an OB stitching me if need be than a registrar, heard too many horror stories working in the medical field myself..

But each to there own.

Midwives and my OB were amazing at my deliveries, but first time round was glad to have a fully trained OB stitching that new exactly what he was doing.

To be fair an uncomplicated tear or episiotomy is extremely easy to suture and a difficult one is usually done by a very senior registrar or the consultant obstetrician on duty anyway.

#64 Tigerdog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

couldn't justify that huge amount of money to maybe have an ob turn up for the birth and maybe get my own room post birth.

Agreed, at the hospital where I had mine (public and private patients mixed), those who had complicated deliveries or c-sections always got the single rooms over anyone else, regardless of if you were private or public.  If you were a private patient and had a straightforward birth and someone else was public and had a c-section, that person would get the room over you.

I've always believed that private doesn't get you much extra anyway, even if you've got the best cover, the hospital may not have the resources at that time to give you all the 'extras' you're promised under PHI or when paying upfront (unless you're booking into a strictly private facility).  And that goes for all health issues and admissions, not just pregnancy and birth.

Edited by Tigerdog, 23 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#65 busy&happy

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my 4th child and am opting for a public hospital this time.
My previous three children were born at private hospitals. I very much enjoyed the 5 days getting to rest in hospital and bond with each baby, however my decision to go public this time has been based on several factors.
1. OB just made the delivery last time and wasn't as attentive through the pregnancy. He has also relocated and increased fees.
2. We have a great public hospital <10mins down the road
3. I am seeing a lovely GP/OB with little out of pocket expenses
4. I was due to give birth to Dd3 at the same private hospital as dd1 & dd2 but the maternity ward closed down several weeks earlier leaving me to make alternative arrangements. The private hospital I birthed at was extremelly busy and I had to wait in the delivery suites for 12hrs post delivery, listen to other woman labour and when I eventually got my room (not the beautiful big room I'd been shown) I was given a small room with a surgical bed- paid the same as other private patients for the hospital stay!

So this time,
I will stay in a public hosptal for a minimum of two nights (still prefer longer but happy with 2) and trust midwives to take care of me as they generally have even when I was in a private hospital awaiting the last minute dash of my OB.

#66 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Am not sure where one of the PP got their info from, but as far as I know the standard discharge at RHW sydney is 72hrs for vaginial birth, 5 days for CS.  There is the option of leaving 4hrs following birth and for a MW to visit you at home. I left after 4 days due to BF problems.

I dont know the standard for the birth centre, that was maybe what the PP was talking about - there is a big waiting list for the birth centre, but everyone goes to the same postnatal ward, so I doubt there would be a difference in discharge policies.

I would be happy for anyone who has actually given birth in 2014 or a MW who currently works there to clarify.

#67 lucky 2

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

View Postsoontobegran, on 23 April 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

To be fair an uncomplicated tear or episiotomy is extremely easy to suture and a difficult one is usually done by a very senior registrar or the consultant obstetrician on duty anyway.
A MW sutured my 2nd degree tear, she did a perfectly fine job.

#68 mummylovatt

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Im new to Australia and had 2 c-sections in NZ (1 emergency and 1 elective)
In NZ you pay for nothing, I had 2 nights in hospital and 2 nights in a birth centre for both girls.

We are thinking about #3 in the next 12 months - we have private health insurance but after reading this post im confused...

do we still need to pay for an OB even if we have Private Insurance with an OB inclusion?

I will be having another elective - where do you start with finding care?

Do you get to choose which hospital you want to go to or do you have to go to the one closest? (I live in west melbourne but would love to birth at Royal Womens)

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.