What did you have to do to get into Uni as a mature aged student?

16 replies to this topic

#1 miinii

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi all,

Now that all my babies are in school/Kinder i was hoping in the next couple of years to go to Uni myself as its my dream to be a midwife (i also plan to do nursing)

Can anyone who has gone to Uni tell me what was required of you before you were accepted?I have been told by one uni that entering as a mature aged student is pretty easy and I'm not really required to do anything. They said some volunteer work in a hospital or nursing home may help but is not neccesary.

A bit of background....I have not studied in 12 years and left school halfway through year 10

#2 Guest_Cat_Blessed_*

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'm in WA and did the STAT. Not sure if you have it there? It was pretty easy and even though I did it a billion years ago I still got accepted into uni this year (although I have deferred for the year).

#3 Barefoot

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

I had to do a pathways course, which was 2 trimesters of 2 subjects each. 1 mandatory and 1 elective each trimester.

#4 miinii

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hmmm i have never heard of STAT....i wonder if we have that here?

Barefoot ~ Who did you do that through?

#5 Nasty Teens

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Both DH and I have studied as mature age students. A simple application for both of us with a letter stating why we wanted to study, why we thought we would be good at it. Bridging courses may be useful, but not always needed.

#6 kpingitquiet

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Sorry, just saw which forum this is in! Deleted.

Edited by kpingitquiet, 17 March 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#7 miinii

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostTeens?, on 17 March 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

Both DH and I have studied as mature age students. A simple application for both of us with a letter stating why we wanted to study, why we thought we would be good at it. Bridging courses may be useful, but not always needed.

Can i ask which Uni you attended? I am currently doing Pathways enabling course but am finding online study a challenge. My youngest is in kinder only a few hours a week and i also work which makes it hard to find the time to study. If i attend Uni 2015/2016 i would have all 3 in school and i wouldn't be working so plenty of time to full time study.

#8 balancing.act

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

If you look at the website of the course you want to do there should be a section on entry requirements.

Depending on the course and the institution you will be assessed on a test, previous qualifications or work experience or a combination of all three. You might have to do an introductory course before getting into the real thing.

#9 Bono25

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I did a science course in Canberra, which a number of the subjects were run with nursing and midwife students.  I did an entry course which, I think was 3 days a week for 2 hours, they also ran longer courses.  I think I had to do 2 oral presentations and 2 essays, and at the end of it I was given an entrance score to get into the course I wanted.  The one I did was an accelerated one, but they had others.  There should be something on the unis website, or you could try ringing the course convenor and talking to them.

Good luck!!

#10 Datrys

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Just a heads up for something which caught me out; if you want to access Fee-help you will need to be able to demonstrate your eligibility, which generally means your Australian citizenship.  I had no papers and by the time I could sort it out I ended up starting a semester later than I had wanted!

#11 KookyKids

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I went through CDU and did there TEP program, straight forward I did 2 units/semester just to gage how I would go with studying and three kids. Its free and if you go on you can get advanced standings for the core units. (also was a gentle way to get started on how uni life is). Then I just applied for my now course and got straight in.

#12 whatnamenow

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Stat test, my cert 3 etc gave me an entry number.  However I also know of people who simply got in on a cert 3, and others who just applied direct.

Ask your preferred uni.  They will usually tell you the exact process you will need to take.  That may be a TPP course ( tertiary prep course) or it may not be.  Every uni is different and only they can be the ones to look at your exact situation and tell you how it works.   Usually every uni has someone for this exact situation.

I'm at USQ fraser coast Bach of nursing...

#13 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

NSW (Uni of Newcastle): I applied through Universities Admissions Centre website and was accepted into B.Teach/B. Arts without having to do anything else. I had not done any formal study since doing my NSW HSC in 1978. There were bridging courses available for students who needed HSC maths and/or science subjects as prerequisites for their courses. I would highly recommend studying as a mature age student - especially if you can start with just one or two subjects in your first semester.

#14 CrankyM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Depends on the university you want to attend.

Nursing/Midwifrey normally require you to either do a STAT test, a bridging course, or to have completed a Cert IV or diploma to show that you are capable of the study required to complete the course. Bridging courses change depending on universities.

This is basically what s required at the uni I work for.

#15 whatnamenow

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

oh forgot to add, if you havnt studied in a decade start with only 2 units.  I've started with 2 units and I'm finding it easy and confident that next semester I can do 3 and maybe even 4.  I know of others in the same situation ( mums I know just like me who havnt studied in ages) who started with 4 and panicked.  One pulled out completely and one has dropped down to 2 like me.  Its been a nice ease into study.

Edited by charlottesmum04, 17 March 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#16 Rachella77

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:42 AM

I know this is an old topic, but just adding for anyone interested who stumbles across it! I had looong dreams of being a midwife but when buried in the role of raising 3 small children, figured it was a pipe dream that would never happen.  A couple of years ago when my youngest started school, a friend encouraged me to sit the STAT test (im in SA but pretty sure its Australia wide). It was hard!!! I got a relatively good mark, but nowhere near what i needed in SA to get a midwifery place, but received an offer for nursing. I accepted the place, hoping that i'd achieve a high enough GPA (grade point average) to apply for a place in midwifery after a year.  I worked my butt off!   In the end, I managed to get a really great GPA and was accepted into midwifery.  I'm now in my first year and i absolutely love it!
  Im not 100% sure that you can sit the STAT test unless you have completed high school.  Probably worth looking into.  I do now know that the university i attend offer a 'foundation' course for mature entry students that gives a stepping stone into university study.  Quite a few 'mature' entry mid students i know gained places into the course by doing the one year of foundation studies.  I think some TAFE courses offer the same thing? Again, worth looking into.  I can't help with options other than what i went through but am amazed at how many pathways to university study there actually are.  If only they told us this in highschool, rather than making us believe that year 12 was the final decider on life!
  I haven't actually heard about volunteer work being a help in securing a university place, but every university is different - really look into it further before taking the advice of one person over the phone.  Intake only comes around once a year, so inaccurate information from one person can really set you back.
  Good luck to anyone who is considering further study.  It is so rewarding when you are on the pathway to a career you've dreamed of for so long!

#17 shannonhill

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

I never did this myself, but I had a ton of very matured friends get into UNIV with some solid volunteering experience. Anything is valuable- they had volunteering experience at nursing homes and charities.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.