Cold sores

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Tender Heart

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Officially over them.  I've had 8 in the last 4 weeks and the ninth has just appeared after only three days of the last one clearing - I thought that was the end of it for a while, but clearly not.  I'm incredibly conscious of basic strategies to prevent the spread and so on, as I've lived with the virus most of my life.  I've never had such a succession of them before.

I've tried just about everything I know of and have been prescribed antivirals (tablets) to try, but don't think they helped reduce the severity or the time they lasted.  (Of course, over the years have also tried various other seemingly ridiculous things to stop them - ice, topical creams, rubbing perfume on them (!), etc.)

I try to minimise the foods that may trigger an outbreak, am covered in the sun, etc.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck seeking help from a naturopath to treat them.  I'd love to hear some positive stories!  I need to stop the cycle.

#2 JustBeige

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

I used to take Zinc when I got mine, but my friend who gets them on her face was told to take L-Lysine and she swears by it.   Hers are caused by stress and start on her nose and just spread.

I also use a nightly lip balm.  I used to use the Nyal cold sore cream but they have changed the formula, so now I just use a normal nourishing one and if I feel a tingle I grab the zovirax.

Mind you, the spot that I get them is now so numb that I dont even feel the pre-tingle warning any longer.  I just feel a small bump and pack the stuff on.

Have you tried the patches?  A mum from school swears by them too.

Have to lol at the perfume. That was a very old trick that my dad showed me about 40odd years ago.  The thing was it worked - except he used aftershave.   I think the difference is that back then the aftershave/fragrances was really strongly based on pure alcohol so it was like putting Metho on it.

#3 ABabyPlease

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Blackmores have a cold sore vitamin, I think it is Lysinne.  I usually take this if I have 2 close together.

Another thing that works for me is to put ice on the cold sore immediately I feel the tingle.  Wrap a piece in kitchen appear and hold it on for 10 minutes about 5 times a day for 1-2 days.  You will still get the blister but it often prevents the scab forming, so others cannot notice.

Also check your general health and stress levels.

Good luck!  I hate them too!

#4 ABabyPlease

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

Oh, one more thing, my cold sores reduced significantly since I started using SPF15 or 30 lipstick or lip balm all day, and all throughout the year, even if it's a rainy day.

#5 Tender Heart

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have tried the patches JB, but have found they don't make a difference and irritate the surrounding skin.

I will pop the pharmacy tomorrow for the L-Lysine now you've both mentioned it!

#6 Mercurial

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I have found that Lysine really helps.  I get one, take heaps of it, then remember to take it religiously for a little while and then forget again, repeat process.  

I have scarring all over my lips from cold sores - curse the b*st*rd with a cold sore that kissed me as an infant (yep have had them that long).  

I do get less of them now - healthy diet, losing weight, SUN PROTECTION, enough sleep, just generally keeping your body as healthy as possible.  

The biggest thing though is wind/sun protection.  A day in the sun and I'm guaranteed a cold sore.  

I have to say cold sores are the most painful, annoying, irritating, painful, unsightly, painful, painful, painful sore you can get.  The burning I get with a cold sore is miserable.  

Zovirax etc do help to reduce the severity but you need to remember to apply it hourly in the first 24 hours of getting it.

#7 cordyline

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Lol my dad also taught me the perfume thing when I was a kid. I'm not sure it works.

I always get mine from sunburn or severe sleep deprivation or if I am run down.

As soon as I feel the tingle, I actually prick the skin with a clean needle and then I apply Zovirax. My theory is it can then get straight in there. Seems to work for me and I manage to avoid the unsightly blister about 80% of the time.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they have made significant break throughs in finding a cure for the virus, but still a few years away from a commercial product.

#8 FeralZombieMum

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Are you run down and/or stressed? That could be the cause.

Have you had a baby recently? Lack of sleep and everything else could be causing it. Or could you be pregnant?

Could you have an underlying medical condition that is affecting your absorption of nutrients?

Are you swimming? That also tends to bring out the coldsores in me - think it's more to do with the drying of the skin.

Lysine and zinc taken daily should help reduce them.

#9 BetteBoop

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Like PPs I started using a lip balm daily and nightly - Carmex, which is for cold sores but is natural.

#10 HGL

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

Another person who swears by lysine. I take 2 as soon as I feel the tingle and then 2x 3 times a day. I also take a zinc once a day. I get cold sores due to stress and uv exposure if my lips are chapped. Since using the lysine, if I start taking them early enough they don't progress pass the tingle stage and don't develop into a sore.

I've had good success as well with the patches. I find they stop the sore from spreading and festering. Don't use any creams, lotions or makeup on your lips or around your lips and they can stay in place for 12-24hrs if you eat carefully.

#11 GingerCats

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

I have lived with coldsores on occasion all my life and have found nothing so helpful as very early application of antiviral cream and frequent use of 30+ sunscreen lipbalm. Particularly the lipbalm.

The antiviral tablets only help reduce the severity of an attack if you start taking them whilst the virus is actively replicating (i.e. before the blisters break out), and often not even then.

Obviously any kind of damage to the lips from any cause (including UV rays and chlorine) will make the cells more vulnerable to the virus. Prolonged stress from any cause will make them more likely to break out too.

There is no good scientific evidence the vitamins reduce the likelihood of breakouts but they're not particularly harmful either.

Seeing a naturopath will not help you except for the potential placebo effect.

#12 klr75

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

another believer in Lysine - i don't take them every day, but whenever I get that tingle or am feeling run down, i take some!

#13 DEVOCEAN

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostBetteBoop, on 28 March 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Like PPs I started using a lip balm daily and nightly - Carmex, which is for cold sores but is natural.
OP if you try the Carmex, make sure you get the one specifically for Cold Sores.

#14 Beancat

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I regularly use lip balm too so dont get them very often now, maybe 1 or 2 a year.

But as soon as I get a tingle, its metho.  I dab it on about 3 times in 24 and it stops it in its tracks

I have a friend who swears by toothpaste - have not tried that one yet

#15 Beeeeeez

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

I can tell you from my scientific experience that nothing will stop your cold sore appearing once the virus has been re activated. You might think by good imagination that something will help, but it's only most likely placebo effect. Save your money especially on naturopath. Get a good rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water. If you know the triggers for the activation and appearance of your cold sores try to minimise those (for many that will be stress, coffee, alcohol etc).

Source: me
Scientific background: PhD on cold sore virus and it's life cycle and potential viral targets for vaccine.

Edited to add:
I get cold sores too... They are bastards... Completely understand how you feel.

Edited by biancabee, 03 April 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#16 gabbigirl

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Biancabee, wow a cold sore expert in our midst!  That's why I love EB, there's an expert everywhere!  and my experience can confirm your phd!  Nothing stops the buggers!  The best thing I have found is those little patches you put over them...I just can't remember their name, dammit.  But I just pop them over the cold sore as they at least minimise the risk of spreading which is my biggest  concern ...now bb, don't come in here telling me they are scientifically been  proven not to work, that would really burst my bubble!

#17 niggles

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Nothing stops them once they start but Lysine may stop a run of them and prevent them coming back.

Source: me who always gets coldsores when pregnant that won't stop coming til I take lysine. I take a multi with lysine vitamin c zinc and echinacea. I got 3 in a fortnight and then no more after starting this.

#18 Tender Heart

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostLady Garden, on 03 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I would pop in to the GP for a check-up if you haven't had one recently.

Thanks everyone - I hadn't checked back on this thread, so didn't realise there were more responses.

I did have a visit to the GP for thyroid check, etc.  It was her who suggested the antiviral tablets.  Honestly, I knew they wouldn't stop it, but they also didn't change the duration of it.  I tried them for two separate sores, but they still last up to around 12 days from start to finish.  For the price, I wouldn't bother again.

I have been taking the lysine and, hopefully not about to jinx myself here, have not had another one since I first posted this topic.  Probably coincidence based on biancabee's post, but I'll take it!

Thanks again everyone.  :)

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

View Postbiancabee, on 03 April 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

If you know the triggers for the activation and appearance of your cold sores try to minimise those (for many that will be stress, coffee, alcohol etc).

Coffee and alcohol?!!!

I guess I'm stuck with cold sores.

#20 BetteBoop

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

I got a cold sore today for the first time in years.

I blame this thread.

#21 Beeeeeez

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostBetteBoop, on 16 April 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

I got a cold sore today for the first time in years.

I blame this thread.

lol :p

#22 ~Kay~

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

The anti-viral tablets really work for me. Still get the cold sore but significantly reduced.

#23 neddyteddy

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

The anti-virals used to work for me but they don't seem to now.  Have you tried boosting your immune system with vitamin c and zinc.

Are you particularly stressed?
I used echinacea topically and have found it to help… I use a liquid and put it on t least every half an hour if I get a tingle…. works for me.

Avoid nuts seeds and chocolate and eggs while In this Really Prone phase.

#24 BetteBoop

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

View Postneddyteddy, on 16 April 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Avoid chocolate while In this Really Prone phase.

So it's chocolate, coffee and alcohol?

Great. They're 3 of my 5 food groups.

#25 JustBeige

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostBetteBoop, on 15 April 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Coffee and alcohol?!!!

I guess I'm stuck with cold sores.
LOL, you jinxed yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.