Kitchen bin liners

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ms flib

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

An awfully mundane question here....

We use our own bags when shopping and do not collect plastic shopping bags which many people use as kitchen rubbish bin liners. At the moment we just put our rubbish straight in. We have a double pedal bin - one side rubbish, the other recycling. They have a plastic bin inside with a wire handle so you can lift it out.

Without an inner bin bag, these bins get a bit yucky. We don't put scraps in them so they are not that bad but I hate having to scrub them out.

What can I line them with without using shopping bags or buying plastic bags?

#2 Fright bat

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

The tears of a thousand virgin unicorns?

#3 ms flib

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Funny but I did ask in the Environmental Tips section.

#4 Fright bat

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

Sorry OP :-)

#5 ms flib

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

And it's bin night and I'm not thinking about diamond rings or trips to New York.

#6 F.E.B.E

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

Some people use newspaper.

#7 AnotherFeral

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

If you line it with newspaper I think that should help. Some liquids will still soak through I guess, but it should be more pleasant than what you're dealing with now.

#8 babatjie

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

A biodegradable bin liner?

I could never put rubbush straight into a bin, but I'm funny about our bin. It has to be clean. Very clean. Which is stupid, I know.

#9 WaitForMe

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

My parents used nothing, then newspaper, and now have given up and get biodegradable bags.

#10 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

I
so love unicorns that i would forgive that answer!

i don't know if this would suit your purposes - but I can remember in the early 70's, when the rubbish man would still jump over the back fence and run between the houses,

every night my Dad would spread some sheets of broadsheet newspaper on the floor, put the days rubbish in the middle and roll/fold it up in a tight little bundle and put it out in the bin.

Are you already doing - vege scraps to wormfarm/compost/chooks/guinea pigs?

- Pop meat and diary scraps in a container in the freezer until bin day.

- rinse meaty plastic, before binning.

Could you supply a closed container for JUST yucky rubbish?

It can be amazing how much the rubbish side of our "2bins"

fills up with plastic trays, weetbix bags, tissues and such that don't smell UNTIL somebody tips their unwanted foodscraps on top.

#11 ms flib

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

We have compost and chooks. We don't buy newspapers but I guess we could use the local paper.

What do other environmentally concerned types use?

#12 Fright bat

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Sigh. I told you. Unicorn tears.

#13 tick

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

I buy the biodegradable plastic bin bags.  I know they're not perfect, but I haven't found a better solution.  Waxed paper bin liners would be good, if they existed ....

#14 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'd ring and ask for a couple of extra 'free' local papers to be thrown at my house. I doubt they'd care about the waste. We always had a few left over when we delivered them.

Would your conscience let you put icky rubbish in a thin freezer bag inside a smaller container?

#15 WaitForMe

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

http://www.planetwis...on_144_cat.html

I don't use them, but I do have one of their wet dry bags and it's great.

#16 unicorn

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Mum used to use bread bags, I use cereal boxes.

#17 Mortificado

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

Would a canvas bag work? Maybe have a few so that you can rotate and wash them.

#18 ms flib

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Thanks - there are some great suggestions here. I especially like the idea of something I can wash and reuse.

#19 c.sanders

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

is there a reason that it's leaking or getting smelly? i.e. are you pouring liquids down it, etc.

i always try to pour liquids/wet things in a used container of some kind (that i'm planning to throw out anyway) before throwing it out. like a chip packet or plastic bag etc.

it may not be the most environmentally friendly though. but i figure it saves water by not having to clean as often, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.