Our birth story, 31w3d gestation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jessie_T

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Hubby and I are happy to announce the birth of our baby daughter Allegra Paige, born 5 April 2014 at 5.36am weighing 3.924 pounds at 31w3d gestation.

Finally, here is my labour story. Friday morning at 3am I thought I wet the bed. I rolled out of bed and sorta knew something wasn’t right as I couldn’t hold it in. I went to the toilet and then started cleaning up the tiles as I thought I wet my pants and didn’t want to tell hubby. I soon realised that more and more was leaking from me and woke Hubby up. The trickling was still ongoing and we definitely knew it was my waters. We called Calvary and advised her I am only 31w2d. She said she would call me back as she will call Dr Roberts and see if he wants me to go to Calvary or WCH. She called back and said WCH. While I was waiting for her, I called Mum to let her know and she came to our house. It was a whirlwind, I had a shower and Hubby was trying to get a couple of things together. The trip to WCH was mostly silent and I knew I was losing a fair amount of waters and knew I was in trouble. We went to Womens Assessment, Calvary advised them I was on my way. I was seen straight away. They confirmed that it was my waters and they needed to give me a steroid shot. I cried when they told me as I knew she wouldn’t be in me for much longer. They said they will transfer me to the deliver suite where they will hook me up to penicillin. I said does this mean she is coming out straight away and they said not necessarily and they will try and keep her in as long as possible.
Dr Roberts came in that morning and told me what to expect from a 31w baby and said he will organise a tour around the NICU ward so it wasn’t as confronting and hopefully show me a 31 weeker. He did a swab to see if there is an infection (still waiting to hear back from those results, I forgot to ask). He organised a scan so they could get an estimate on her weight.
That afternoon at 2pm I had a scan and the sonographer said 1.8kgs and only small pockets of fluid were there. Between the sonographer and Dr Roberts it was unspoken about when they thought I would go into labour but we all knew it would be very soon. That night Hubby went home as the midwives told him to do so. Mum was with me all day as well and because of the event parking in the city Hubby kept his car in the carpark and Mum dropped him off home.
At 4am Saturday morning, I woke up needing to go to the toilet and I had a dull cramp. I went back to bed for 30 minutes and then woke up needing to go to the toilet again and I had a big contraction. I used the buzzer and advised the midwife I have a contraction. I called Hubby straight away, advising him to get here now! Mum had to pick him up as his car was in the carpark…… as you can see we weren’t expecting me to go into labour that early. The midwife kept on saying I can’t feel a contraction, but later on Mum told me her midwife said the same thing to her. Must be how our bodies react. From there on, the contractions were really really strong and very frequent with little rest. I called Hubby a couple of times telling him to distract me. The worse thing I hated was to be restricted to the bed. I am a pacer when I am in pain. I called him again when they were frequent and he said he was on Melbourne Street. I said hurry! Mum dropped him off straight away. At that time the midwife went to the toilet and he came in. I said I need to PUSH!!! He quickly went out and said she needs to push and no midwife is in the room. Mum was coming up to the delivery suite and they were all running around saying she is fully dilated. Troy said Mum is coming in to say hello, which ended up being another good support person. She got me water, she wet a cold flannel which meant Troy was by my side the whole time. A few seconds later we had about 8 people in the room. I started screaming saying I can’t do this and I kept on pushing. At this time Dr Roberts wasn’t in yet and they said bubs will be fine even if he doesn’t deliver her. As I was letting the air escape I wasn’t really pushing that effective until Dr Roberts came in. He told me to push down into my bottom and give me three pushes. Allegra Paige was born at 5.36am after a quick one hour labour and she came out with a big cry. I got to have a quick hold of her before she was whisked away. The Paedatrician initially came in and said everything is fine with her which was a big relief. Then after checking over her, he came in to advise us that she doesn’t have an anal hole which could mean a couple of things. It could be there, but it hasn’t dropped or it may not be connected to the bowel at all which would mean surgery. I was actually quite calm as I knew that it could be worse problems than that. He came back in with some good news and advised us they have found a hole but it’s too close to the vagina. It’s all connected to the bowel which is brilliant news. She will require surgery to rectify the issue. We will have an appointment with the surgeon when she is 3 months and they will do an MRI and also test her muscles in that area to see the likelihood of her having incontinence issues.

#2 Ellie bean

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter! Wishing you all the best for her surgery and the coming months.

#3 gc_melody

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your DD.

I'm sorry that she has decided to come early and the strain this brings. I have had a prem baby and know how many emotions come with this. Although she came early, your story is one of a beautiful birth.

I wish you and your DD and family all the very best.

#4 mrskay

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Congratulations! I had a little cry myself when I read that she gave a big cry :)

Beautiful name too :)

#5 Therese

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Congratulations on the arrival of your little girl. I wish you and her all the best.

#6 Guest_Cat_Blessed_*

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Gosh, little girl didn't want to wait!

Lovely name (I have an Allegra).

Congratulations on your baby girl, and all the best with her upcoming surgery. :)

#7 baran

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Congratulation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.