My second baby-how quickly life can change

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eyesgreen

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

My second birth was very different to my first. Ds1 was induced at 41 weeks, I had the gels inserted and then three hours later had my first contraction, no build up, straight from nothing to contractions 3 cm apart. There wasn't any time for drugs and I was so far gone I couldn't get to groups with the gas so I had nothing. He was born and was well and it was amazing. Jump two years later and with my second DS it was very different. On his due date I started cramping in the early hours. I went to hospital later in the morning and was three cm. He was posterior and I really wasn't coping so had an epidural. 8 hours later I was pushing and his heart rate was dropping every time I pushed. He was pulled out with a ventouse and had the cord wrapped round his neck. He needed a little help with his breathing but he was fine. My placenta wouldn't come out so I was wheeled off to theatre to have it manually removed, pretty horrific but pain free. The first night was good and my husband was able to stay. The next day his brother came to meet him and all was going well. My husband left in the evening and I was settling my new son to sleep but noticed his breathing was a little raspy so called in the midwife. From there it all spiralled, my little boy was having seizures. My husband and doctor arrived and he was having lots of wires attached. A helicopter was on its way to take us to a bigger hospital, they think he had had a stroke. We were beside ourselves. I was admitted to the new hospital while my little boy was being worked on I nicu. They did an MRI and my husband and I were called in to be told he would have to be transferred to the city hospital as he'd had a massive brain haemorrhage. He would need brain surgery. We were devastated and couldn't quite take it all in. We met the neurosurgeons at the next hospital who told us it was very serious and surgery was too risky and he also may not make it through the night. This absolutely destroyed us, here we were at a point of losing our newborn. He was in intensive care in a very bad way and all we could do was talk to him and read him stories. I was not able to hold him. He got worse but did start to stabilise a week later, I was finally able to hold him although he was still being ventilated and had so many wires coming out of him. Holding him was amazing, from that moment on he began to improve quickly and was needing ventilation less and less. He finally came off ventilation and at last I was able to breast feed him after continually pumping since it all happened. Three weeks later we were finally able to bring him home. He is doing so well it's incredible and the doctors are amazed as he really shouldn't be alive. We don't know long term what his disabilities may be but at seven months he has so far met all his milestones. We are so proud of our little fighter and he couldn't be more loved, his big brother adores him and we are one lucky family to have them both in our lives. Never give up hope, miracles can happen x

#2 newmummabear

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for making me cry!!
I'm so happy everything has worked out so far… best wishes for the future,  xxx

#3 Suz01

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

No words, but you sound so strong OP.  Congrats on having your DS at home, safe!

#4 Let-it-go

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

I only just saw this post.  Sorry I missed it earlier.

I am so pleased your son is home safe and well with you.  Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Please also take care of yourself, this can be very hard on the parents.  What you your family has gone through must have been incredibly traumatic for you.

#5 c.sanders

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

i was so scared when i was halfway but I'm so so happy for you OP that it turned around so beautifully!

#6 FeralSis

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

So glad to read that your baby boy is doing so well after a traumatic start.

#7 Sed

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

So pleased your son is doing so well. Such a little fighter x

#8 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Far out that's tough. Thanks for sharing

Good on you I hope you are doing ok and getting support. Xo

#9 twilightangel

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

What a little champ your son is.

I am so pleased that he made it through his traumatic start to life.

I hope you are ok. Must have been so scary and heartbreaking.

Edited by twilightangel, 21 May 2014 - 12:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.