Minecraft cake help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dirtsa

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

I am hoping to making a cake like this in a couple of weeks for DS1's birthday. Anyone have any clues about how I get the different coloured green MnM's/Smarties?

Posted Image

I think this image is from America - the person who made it said they used a packet of mint flavoured MnM's. I haven't seen them here, plus I think kids generally are not great fans of mint - mine aren't anyway.

TIA

#2 nzbee

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

They're called crispy mint m&ms.  I know Woolies have them (also currently in the online store).

Edited by nzbee, 06 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#3 Dirtsa

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

cool thanks, I will check it out!

#4 Justaduck

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for sharing this cake! I spent about 4hrs using fondant making a 3D diamond sword cake for DP last year but this looks a lot easier! Think I will make it for him this year

#5 Dirtsa

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

justaduck - I have never tried using fondant - it all seems too hard! I always try to take the easy way when it comes to cake decorating.

#6 Jingleflea

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Fondant is just like playdough!

Dead easy, especially if you buy it already coloured.

As to the smarties, you can try online cake decorating stores for specific coloured lollies.

or online party places.

#7 girlfrompdx

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

How clever! I like this approach.

I made my son a Minecraft cake a couple months ago and it was really hard. I was so relieved when I brought it out and all his friends said "Minecraft!!" I breathed a huge sigh of relief. lol

#8 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I made a super duper easy one last month. I just used the orchard white ready to roll icing and covered the cake in that and then dyed the left over bits and cut them into squares to decorate the top. My 8yo would have lost it at a Minecraft cake that had round things like M'n'M's on it! He was upset that my corners weren't exactly 90 degrees once I'd iced it. :rolleyes:

#9 Dirtsa

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

Fondant is just like playdough!

Dead easy, especially if you buy it already coloured.

I know I know, but it's mental block I have about it!

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

https://www.flickr.c...ast/8288727363/

I did one like the above and added my own hand made figurines.

Colouring the pre done fondant was fun and had square cutter so was actually quite easy to do.

#11 Noted

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

We made one using marshmallow icing. It's like play doh when it's made and you can colour it any colour you want (and your hands). Super easy. Love the flat basic shape cakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.