How do you manage Kinder pick-up & drop-off if you're working?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 PolkaDots

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hi all,

my DD1 is starting 4 yo kinder next year. I'm starting to think about how I am going to manage picking and dropping her off if I am working, it's actually starting to make me a little anxious.

What do other people do? I work three days a week in the City (Melbourne), I start at 7.30am and finish at 3.30pm. I catch the train in from the Northern Suburbs (leave home around 6.15am).

I thinking about scheduling her longest day and her shortest day on the days that I am home (that way I will still be able to spend a little bit of time with her on my days off) and maybe my mum or MIL will have to do the other day? Which, I feel really bad inconveniencing them like that, as they will have to take my DD2 along with them for pickup/ drop offs.

Would love to get some ideas on how other working parents manage.

#2 just roses

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

Some people can't manage and so they choose to do Kinder at a long daycare centre. Pick the right centre, and this can be a good alternative.

I'd run it by your Mum and MIL, just to guage their thoughts.

#3 MsBusy123

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Both of my kids have done 4yo kinder through our daycare centre. I work from home, so technically I could have done the short days, but I really need full days so that I can get my work done.

I honestly don't know how people manage kinder and work otherwise.

#4 Illiterati

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

Have you got a partner? In many families, one partner does the drop off and the other the pick up.

Most child care centres run a kinder program and have qualified kinder teachers. I sent my youngest to one of those at a centre in the city. And they provide all meals from breakfast to late afternoon tea.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

We have a uni student who takes our children to school and picks them up on the days I work. My mum has DD for the morning on DD's half-day, which seems quite common at our school.

#6 Its Percy

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

We do daycare. So much easier.

#7 Raincloud

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

Here in WA kindy for 4 year olds is compulsory. I don't know what we are going to do. I might have to schedule kindy on my days off.

Eta I am wrong. Preschool is compulsory not kindy.

Edited by Raincloud, 20 June 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#8 Neeps

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

I used a nanny and next year when my youngest is in kindy I am going to try and tweak my working hours so I can get to at least one pick up.

I did find that I was totally on the outer of the kindy social scene with my eldest child because I never got to meet anyone as simply wasn't there.

#9 carriesshoes

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

My kids went to a long day care.  It started at 8am and finished at 6pm.  Was close to my work and so I was nearby if they needed me.  It was expensive but worth it for peace of mind.  It's hard to reply on other people even family as they have other commitments, get sick, go on holidays etc.

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Daycare.

#11 purpledelight

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yep. Daycare here too. Just couldn't do the one morning, one arvo, one slightly longer day....and two different venues (bush kinder for one of those days.)

#12 deejie

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

I can't. DS1 attends a kinder incorporated in to a long day care program. It works out a lot more expensive than a regular community based kinder program, bit it's really the only way I can continue to work.

Lots of Mums are in the same position.

#13 MummaJo

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

When my eldest son started kindy it was Tuesday/Wednesday one week and then Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday the next.
When they did the half days for the first couple of weeks I took this as annual leave so I could settle him in.  I had just gone back to work after 9 months mat leave, so I started back at 4 days a week and scheduled my day off for Wednesday.  This worked well with work.  My husband and I made sure we picked a school that had inhouse before and after school care and without these lovely ladies, I’d be struggling.

So he went into before and after school care at the school on the days I worked (which he loved) and then I got to do pick up and drop off on the Wednesday I was home.  After about three months I went back to work full time and we now use before and after school care exclusively.

My husband and I work in the city (Perth) and have about a 45 min commute.  My youngest son is due to start kindy in 2016 and I will drop back to 4 days a week and do the same arrangement again.

It’s a juggle but we get there.  You will find your groove I am sure.

x

#14 Heather11

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostRaincloud, on 20 June 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Here in WA kindy for 4 year olds is compulsory. I don't know what we are going to do. I might have to schedule kindy on my days off.

Can I ask how kindy can be compulsory?  My understanding is that school itself is not compulsory until s child turns six.  How can they insist that a child be made to go to kindy?

Here in SA it is not compulsory but you will find that most will have attended one before school.  This is due mainly to it being relatively cheap and availability is ample.

#15 niggles

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

I dropped off and started work late. I had an arrangement with my sisters who worked different part time days of the week. We'd pick each others kids up with our own on non work days. My husband would start work early and pick up from my sisters house.

This year there are no sisters so she goes to ASC til Daddy can pick her up.

You could pair up with another part time worker in your area and arrange a swap potentially?

#16 Mummaduke

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Kindy at daycare here, it isn't the greatest Kindy but the extra hours either side make it essential for me due to commute times to the city etc.

#17 Splodge83

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

I use before and after school care. It's neccesary as I work full time.
The daycare drop off and pick up on the half day and then she does normal oosc on her full days.

Edited by Splodge83, 20 June 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#18 Beancat

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

Daycare kinder here too

#19 Raincloud

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostHeather11, on 20 June 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Can I ask how kindy can be compulsory?  My understanding is that school itself is not compulsory until s child turns six.  How can they insist that a child be made to go to kindy?

Here in SA it is not compulsory but you will find that most will have attended one before school.  This is due mainly to it being relatively cheap and availability is ample.

Dunno. Maybe it isn't. I always thought it was compulsory here. I could be wrong
ETA: looks like I am wrong. I am getting confused with preschool which is compulsory.

Edited by Raincloud, 20 June 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#20 just roses

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostRaincloud, on 20 June 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Dunno. Maybe it isn't. I always thought it was compulsory here. I could be wrong
ETA: looks like I am wrong. I am getting confused with preschool which is compulsory.
We've had similar in Queensland, PP.

In WA, kindy is not compulsory, but Pre-primary has been made the FYOS and therefore compulsory to make up to 13 years of formal school.

Similar in Queensland with Prep.

#21 halcyondays

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

hired a baby sitter or nanny for the oldest one

Family day care nearby did drop off and pick up for after school care for the youngest. (this family day care did before and after school care for children at the local public school, so picked a preschool that was next to the local school)

#22 Kat255

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostFeral Illiterati, on 20 June 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

Have you got a partner? In many families, one partner does the drop off and the other the pick up.
That is what I am trying to get happening for us when DS starts Kinder next year. DH and I both work from home, and I know how lucky we are having the flexibility we do.

The plan is I'll do the drop-offs so DH doesn't need to worry about the kids in the morning, and then he'll do the pickups so I can get an extra hours work in the afternoon before they get home.

#23 Bluenomi

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

I planned to be on maternity leave this year to avoid the whole preschool issue (2 days one week, 3 the next). Otherwise DD1 would do a preschool program at daycare.

Of course then we moved away from Canberra where it's free preschool to Sydney where I have to pay for preschool and not I'm working, grrrr.

#24 Harmonica

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

We used long daycare for one child and a family day care mother for the other one who was in a short day program.

#25 liveworkplay

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Here it 4 yr old kinders are attached to primary schools  so there is no issue and for us, onsite before and after school care is available.

My friends in Vic have nannies to do pick ups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.