How do you manage Kinder pick-up & drop-off if you're working?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 lexington

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Long daycare. That's the only way.

#27 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

both DH and I  negotiated with our respective work places for a slightly later start - 9 - 9:30 -ish and we took that in turns...for afternoons we had a nanny - a young student who lived locally picked him up and took him back to our house, gave him afternoon tea and played with him till we got home - the hours suited her, but they wouldn't suit everyone. It was a juggle - the system isn't geared for two working parents - or a sole working parent - it needs to be changed.

#28 beastie

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

No the system does not need to be changed. It is perfect for the kids. If you work you have the option of kinder in child care centres.  Not everyone wants their kids in care for full days.

#29 becstar101

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Kinder through daycare here, too.

#30 Heather11

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

the system isn't geared for two working parents - or a sole working parent - it needs to be changed.

I would have thought it has actually changed for the better for working parents.  Now daycare centres have to have a EC teacher in the room and most run kindy programs.  Plus you can get the rebate.

In my area a lot of the daycare centres will pick up and drop off at the local DECD run kindys.

#31 JaneMummy

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

We split it. DH does drop offs and pickups are me or after-school care (just started for pre-schoolers).  My parents used to do those pick-ups but are away on a long holiday.

A few years ago it was 9-1 which was much easier as you could use lunchtimes to pick-up and drop off at childcare for the rest of the day.

#32 50ftqueenie

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Daycare worked for us. For a while I was only working 2 days a week so would have needed a kinder where she could have done her sessions over three days, but then that would have meant that she did daycare 2 days a week and on my days off she would have been in kinder.
Much easier to get kinder over and done with on the two days I was at work and leave the days off for lazing at home. When my situation changed and we needed 3 days of care there was no messing about, just an extra day at childcare.

#33 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostHeather11, on 20 June 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

I would have thought it has actually changed for the better for working parents.  Now daycare centres have to have a EC teacher in the room and most run kindy programs.  Plus you can get the rebate.

In my area a lot of the daycare centres will pick up and drop off at the local DECD run kindys.

In my local area there aren't enough day care spots - there are two local pre-schools which run 9 - 3 pm - no after hours care. Not ideal if you work. One of them has changed their hours so that kids go to a three day a week session one week, then two and a half days the next week - again - not ideal if you work - try finding an after hours carer who can fit in with one week on, one week off. I re-iterate - the system needs to be changed.

#34 Herebedragons

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

the system needs to be changed.

Not everywhere, or for everyone.  Perhaps in your area, there are not enough daycare spots, putting pressure on preschools.   I think providing more before/after school/kindy care makes more sense than a whole restructure of "the system".

Or perhaps that is what you mean by changing the system?  

My kids thrived at kindy (hours 9-3, 2 days a week) but would not have coped well with longer hours, or more days so I would not have welcomed a compulsory extension of their day.

Edited by StinkerSlinker, 20 June 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#35 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

that is what I mean by changing the system, yes. At the moment, there is still a scarcity of long day care places, traditional pre-school (in NSW at any rate) starts at 9 and finishes at 3. it's not ideal for parents who work. Yes, you can get an after hours nanny - which is what I did - but that's not going to be an option for everyone as it's expensive and there is no CCR. So the system needs to be changed - more long day  care centres, or after hours care places for kids in pre-school - Im not sure why this is proving to be a controversial statement!

Edited by Feral Borgia, 20 June 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#36 cinnabubble

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

I think most kids will be fine doing more than a 9-3 day. Daycare kids manage it.

I think any system predicated on having a person at home at the beck and call of drop off and pick up during core working hours needs to be changed.

#37 Herebedragons

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

I don't think what you have proposed is controversial.

But I know that when some people say "the system needs to be changed" they mean that school and kindy hours should be changed to match standard business hours to make it easier for working parents.  

This IS controversial, and I for one would be against it.  The current school and kindy hours are plenty for the kids, and   before and after school/preschool or daycare should be more available should parents need it.

#38 Raincloud

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

None of the daycare centres in my area do 4 year old kindy. It is done at school. And there is no before or after school care at the school either which sux. Not sure how we are going to manage.

Oh well I guess we shouldn't have had kids.

Edited by Raincloud, 20 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#39 laridae

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'll do the drop offs (flexible start time at my work), DH will pick up (he finishes at 3:30 but will probably be able to leave earlier).  Otherwise after school care - there is a daycare centre next door who pick the kinder kids up.

Plus I'll be on maternity leave for the first 1/2 of the year so will do it all then (and have enough time to figure out what will work for the rest of the year).

DD currently goes to daycare which has a kinder program as well though - they have the kinder teacher that used to work at the kinder (at school) that I'm sending her to.

#40 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

1. We got a babysitter person who picked the kids up from preschool (finished at 4pm) and took them home.

2. We staggered our working hours so one would do drop off and one would be home for hand-over with the nanny.

We had to do it this way because we both work an hours commute away from home.

#41 Empress NG

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

We went for preschool at a long day care centre.  The program was fine, they did school readiness (including a trip to the local primary school) and he got to stay with his pals.  I did manage to get him a place in a subsidised government preschool that had a great reputation but just didn't think I would be able to manage it - not just the drop offs and pick ups but also the school holidays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.