what actually works for soap scum?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Manda

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

My glass shower door has soap scum build up and I cannot get rid of it. I have tried bleach, vivia shower wipes, sugar soap, spray and wipe, shower power bathroom cleaner, windex, vinegar and bicarb. Nothing has worked.  
Does anyone know what will actually work!?!?! ( besides getting a new one)

#2 lazycritter

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Have you tried the magic white foam pads?

#3 lazycritter

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

http://magicsponge.com.au/  
I just bought a bulk pack from eBay for not much moula.

#4 rwect

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

View Postlazycritterisferal, on 25 June 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Have you tried the magic white foam pads?
This is what I use, works for us.

#5 Mrs Q

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostManda, on 25 June 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

My glass shower door has soap scum build up and I cannot get rid of it. I have tried bleach, vivia shower wipes, sugar soap, spray and wipe, shower power bathroom cleaner, windex, vinegar and bicarb. Nothing has worked.  
Does anyone know what will actually work!?!?! ( besides getting a new one)

Not sure if you mean you tried the vinegar and bicarb together, or separate?

I had soap scum buildup on the glass shower door and couldn't remove it with different shower cleaners, glass cleaners, etc. Even with much intense scrubbing, over and over.

But then I tried plain undiluted white vinegar by itself, just sprayed on and wiped off with a cloth. I could not believe that it came off - without scrubbing. Now I use it all the time.

If you haven't tried vinegar by itself, I would suggest to at least give it a go. Perhaps it might do the trick.

#6 Black Velvet

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Could it be glass cancer?

Edited by MrsBouquet, 25 June 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#7 Rachel70

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

I brought some TR50 tradie strength brick, tile and paver cleaner from bunnings. It is recommended for soap scum. It is in the section with brick cleaners, tile stuff not in the cleaning section.
It is strong but OMG does a fantastic job.
http://www.bunnings....rength_p0964686

I brought a smaller bottle than the one in the link

#8 wanting3

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

I have also removed soap scum by soaking a paper towel in vinegar and placing on the tile or glass. Wait about 30 minutes and just wipe as you remove. It works great.

#9 Bess Marvin

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

CLR can help too, if it is calcium build up rather than soap scum. They look the same, kinda

#10 Manda

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Anotherone: I have used the vinegar and bi carb both together and separate.  

Ill get some magic sponges on my way home.  I cant remember if ive tried them or not. If they dont work ill move on to the other 2 suggestions.  Thanks

Keep the suggestions coming though,  in case the others dont work or my local hardware doesn't have the paver cleaner.

Thanks again.

#11 Madeline's Mum

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Jiff. Smells like craps, stinks to high heaven and I detest using it, but it brings up the glass like the is brand new!

#12 red_squirrel

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Boiling water poured slowly from the kettle.
Melts it away.
Just don't put cold water on straight after.

#13 xx1stxx

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Rub toothpaste on there, leave for 20mins or so, then wipe off....or try baby oil.  I use toothpaste for a lot of things in the bathroom, its gets rid of grease, calcium build up, rings in the bath and sink.

#14 Feraldasherie

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Extreme short-sightedness.

I know it isn't easy to arrange, or convenient in any other facet of life, but works treat for housework.

#15 JustBeige

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

I am having some success with foamy Bam and my soft broom.

I think though that the CLR is meant to work best for this type of build up.

I hadnt thought of Jiff though, so I will give that a whirl when I feel I can face it again.

I agree wholeheartedly.  When I have my glasses off, the boys bathroom looks just lovely.

#16 nosey_neighbour

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

3M Magic Eraser blocks (the large ones) worked a charm on ours. The glass looks brand new again :)

#17 lozoodle

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Shower power! I do that, then when its dry I clean inside and outside with windex or similar glass cleaner and paper towels, then one more go with shower power. After that spray on something like windex shower and glass or blitz that you leave on after each shower to prevent build up.

#18 Honeybee123

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

I've used WD40 in the past for the really baked on grim and soap scum. It's a degreaser so just melts away the soap scum. Simply clean it off with windex and a paper towel.

#19 Owliegirl

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

OP do you have a highly mineralised water content? Because we have mineral, not soap scum build up. We actually don't use soap in our shower at all.

This is impossible to clean. There are ways that involved 20 million things to do and I am not that committed to getting rid of it. I am really not a fan of glass shower screens!

#20 raechel82

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Never use soap it is the worse thing in showers.

I do some work as a house cleaner and use a scourer on one of my clients tiles and glass with scum. Use any product leave for a while and then scrub scratch it off, comes off quickly and easily.

#21 Nasteh Llamah

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Shower Power worked on mine as well, but make sure bathroom is very well ventilated when you're using it!

#22 1975ladybug

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Green Palmolive dish washing liquid and a silver dolly scrubbing thing

#23 beccajayne

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

I'm no help for cleaning but I have a great tip for how to keep a glass shower screen clean.
I use a micro-fibre cloth to wipe down the glass after each time the shower is used and if done regularly, I don't need to do much else.

I've used jiff or gumption with a scourer and elbow grease to get the shower clean when my kids forget to wipe down their shower

#24 JustBeige

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostHoneybee123, on 25 June 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

I've used WD40 in the past for the really baked on grim and soap scum. It's a degreaser so just melts away the soap scum. Simply clean it off with windex and a paper towel.

DH (mechanic in a past life) said to be careful with using this.  It will also melt your seals around the bath area - showers; bath; etc.  Will also melt through any silicone sealing that you have.

Which is a real bugger as I was going to have a go with this idea

#25 sandy_1985

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Gumption (I think it's kind of like Jiff, but in a thicker, paste like form) and a scouring pad. Often found on the lower shelves in the supermarkets, sometimes Bunnings has it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.