Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

View Postfancie shmancie, on 29 March 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

on house/renovation shows:

wow factor

put my stamp on it

ticks all the boxes

and last but not least:

switch out

I know this thread is not a competition (I don't want one!)

But you just won on my list!

#427 Chocolate Addict

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

Dad is babysitting the kids
Is dad babysitting
wow, you left J at home babysitting?

No, no and no. Dad is caring for his own children. Unless of course you are paying him by the hour.

My kid doesn't even have a father on scene and this term drives me nuts :p

#428 born.a.girl

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 31 March 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

Dad is babysitting the kids
Is dad babysitting
wow, you left J at home babysitting?

No, no and no. Dad is caring for his own children. Unless of course you are paying him by the hour.

My kid doesn't even have a father on scene and this term drives me nuts Posted Image

That's one I don't hesitate correcting people on.

I just say 'you can't babysit your own children'.

The phrase has been defended here by people half my age, but I'm glad I'm hearing it less and less.  Was a common phrase in the 70s.

#429 IamtheMumma

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

There's her version, his version and the truth.

Usually said when victim blaming or attempting to discredit someone, usually a woman.

#430 Expelliarmus

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Few phrases bother me lately. I tend to use a lot of the things written here!

But I still can't really come at Hubby and Bubby. *ick*

#431 Jane Jetson

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

Stupid threats of violence over nothing.

For example, after having read about half of this thread (and on a couple of others lately), "If you say 'completely innocuous word that you have to somehow intuit that I will go bananas over,' I will punch you in the face!"

Seriously. I don't care if that's hyperbole, a joke, a threat or an announcement of intent, it's stupid and inappropriate. Sure, we all have words and phrases we don't like (there's one abbreviation one poster constantly uses which sets my teeth on edge) but really? You're going to punch them?

Save the punches in the face for when somebody tells you your deceased family member is better off, or Fraser Anning rocks up to tell you it's your own fault you're being targeted. Not because somebody says "dude," for heaven's sake.

#432 Dianalynch

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:37 PM

BFF

Bae

#433 Zeppelina

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 31 March 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

Stupid threats of violence over nothing.

I was just coming in to say how much I hate "tear/rip you a new one". It's so graphically violent, I just don't understand how people feel ok about saying it.

#434 Daffy2016

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

There’s a Wiggles episode where Dorothy recaps by saying ‘we did some numeracy’. Every time I shout back that she means counting.

And I read in an actual published article the other day ‘he architected the scheme’.

No. No he did not.

#435 76 others

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

'telling it as it is"

No. You're telling it how you think it is. You're saying an opinion not a fact. Usually said about a politician who is racist and sexist and homophobic. "they aren't being rude or mean. They just tell it as it is."

Ugh. No.

#436 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:32 PM

-RIP I always find these letters so cold. I prefer to see or hear it in full or use rest peacefully.
-It is what it is. Can’t stand it! Dh would say it so much in the days up to and after my Nanna passed about the situation. I wanted to punch him.
- sorry not sorry or adding an lol at the end of a rather nasty sentence.

#437 76 others

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:02 AM

No idea if any of there have been said:

Snowflake, libtard, feminazi.

Also the saying "people are so sensitive these days". Really? These days?  "omg! A black person on our part of the bus!" right. As if that era wasn't full of sensitive d***heads.

#438 born.a.girl

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

View Post76 others, on 31 March 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

'telling it as it is"

No. You're telling it how you think it is. You're saying an opinion not a fact. Usually said about a politician who is racist and sexist and homophobic. "they aren't being rude or mean. They just tell it as it is."

Ugh. No.

Yes, infuriating.  Or: 'just saying what everyone things but is afraid to say'.

Afraid of whom, exactly?

The people who'll call it out for what it is, I suspect.

#439 MooGuru

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

It is what it is is fine when said by the person going through whatever is being discussed.
It isn't ok as a response to someone else's grief/hurt/pain etc.

"Telling it like it is" code for "I'm an a*s*hole and enjoy making others feel uncomfortable"

#440 eponee

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:39 AM

'this is me on a plate'

#441 Mmmcheese

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:41 AM

View Post76 others, on 01 April 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

No idea if any of there have been said:

Snowflake, libtard, feminazi.

Also the saying "people are so sensitive these days". Really? These days?  "omg! A black person on our part of the bus!" right. As if that era wasn't full of sensitive d***heads.

Or 'antifa' used as an insult. Being anti fascist is bad? Really?

#442 kimasa

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:00 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 01 April 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

Yes, infuriating.  Or: 'just saying what everyone things but is afraid to say'.

My brother often says "I'm just saying what everyone is thinking" and it's always something rude, a few times I've come back with "No, no one was thinking that" and he tells me that I can't speak as to what is in everyone else's head (but he can), or that I was thinking it, I just wasn't aware that I was thinking it.

#443 Jane Jetson

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

View PostMmmcheese, on 01 April 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

Or 'antifa' used as an insult. Being anti fascist is bad? Really?

On this note, "it's just a different opinion".

As in, "Why shouldn't Blair Cottrell/Fraser Anning/Mark Latham/Milo Yiannopoulous be given a public platform that people aren't allowed to respond to with criticism? They just have a different opinion!"

Yeah, an opinion that I am sub-human because I'm a woman (as are POC) and that we all need to be kept in our place with violence, "just a different opinion". Bollocks to that. That kind of hate speech needs to be silenced.

Anyway given the amount of enthusiasm with which white people and men in particular are publicly embracing actual Nazism, doesn't look like it's that "different" anyway.

#444 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:51 AM

yeh and they cloak it under the guise of “balance” - YK - particularly wrt journalism “oh well the ABC is required to provide balance...so if you have one person “arguing” the earth is round (spherical) and the other arguing the earth is flat - that’s balance”....no, no it isn’t. you have someone stating a fact, on the one hand, and on the other - you have a tin foil hat idiot.

#445 IamtheMumma

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 01 April 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

yeh and they cloak it under the guise of “balance” - YK - particularly wrt journalism “oh well the ABC is required to provide balance...so if you have one person “arguing” the earth is round (spherical) and the other arguing the earth is flat - that’s balance”....no, no it isn’t. you have someone stating a fact, on the one hand, and on the other - you have a tin foil hat idiot.

This also applies to those who want a balanced view on vaccination. Immunisation is the balanced view.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 01 April 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#446 born.a.girl

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

I like The Guardian's motto:

'You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts.'

#447 Tomahawk

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Just sayin'
So many emotions in two words, for the people writing it and me! I hate it, I feel like it sums up the modern ineptitude at debating something. No thought, just their opinion and they're so superior that they know it all when it's quite the opposite. Grrrr

#448 PrincessPeach

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

And from another thread:

Giving birth is a natural process.

I've had 2 kids & im not exactly sure if that would be my description of it.

#449 Sweet.Pea

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

View Posteponee, on 01 April 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

'this is me on a plate'

I always picture the person saying it with an apple in their mouth (like a pig on a spit), balancing on a plate.

#450 Sweet.Pea

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:35 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 01 April 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

And from another thread:

Giving birth is a natural process.

I've had 2 kids & im not exactly sure if that would be my description of it.

Thanks for adding this one. It's not my description of it either!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.