Terms and sayings that make you cringe

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#451 TrixieBelden

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

View Post76 others, on 31 March 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

'telling it as it is"

No. You're telling it how you think it is. You're saying an opinion not a fact. Usually said about a politician who is racist and sexist and homophobic. "they aren't being rude or mean. They just tell it as it is."

Ugh. No.

Yes. These types also rarely cope well when others ‘tell it like it is’ to or about them. Quite the sensitive snowflake.

#452 seayork2002

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

To me a legal marriage ending is a divorce

Brexit leaving or not the EU is not a 'divorce deal' or any other use of the word divorce

#453 EsmeLennox

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Divorce, as a verb, can mean a separation of two things, usually with poor consequences, so depending on context the use of the word divorce might be accurate in relation to Brexit. ‘Divorce deal’ though? Ugh.

One that irritates me is ‘ladies’. I hate being addressed collectively in that way.

#454 Hands Up

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

Blessed. It is used with such smugness
Mummy blogger
Bae and similar words
Soz, lol etc.
Corporate speak - cascade etc.
Sorry not sorry

#455 Claudia Jean

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:34 AM

I cringe with the use of "Mummy" between adults.  Eg, "let's have a Mummy catch up" etc.

#456 Evra

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

“Giving lip”. I don’t know why, but it sounds to me like something a man complains of when he doesn’t want a woman or a child to speak up for themselves. Makes me angry.

Also “per my email of [exact date]”. In the time it took you to locate that email, we could probably have fixed the problem already!

#457 Claudia Jean

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostEvra, on 02 April 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

Also “per my email of [exact date]”. In the time it took you to locate that email, we could probably have fixed the problem already!

I think majority of my emails start with either "Apologies for the delay in responding" or "Per my previous email". :laugh: :blush:

Edited by Claudia Jean, 02 April 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#458 Evra

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Whoops, I didn’t mean to suggest there was anything cringey about following up emails. I was thinking more of a specific situation where somebody goes to the trouble of digging up the date of an old email just to point out that they had previously told you something. Maybe that is a vent more than a saying!

#459 Hollycoddle

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 02 April 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

To me a legal marriage ending is a divorce

Brexit leaving or not the EU is not a 'divorce deal' or any other use of the word divorce

The organisation I was previously working for recently pulled out of a partnership with another org, myself and the other employee were given the option of taking up another position in our org or staying in the same job but moving across to be employed by the other org. We were jokingly likening the situation to Mum and Dad splitting then fighting over who gets the kids lol.

Seriously, the definition of the word is just to split or separate e.g. I often feel like my mind is somewhat divorced from reality ;)

Edited by Mollycoddle, 02 April 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#460 Treasure Island

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

One that irritates me is ‘ladies’. I hate being addressed collectively in that way.

Mine is "females" technically correct but sounds derogative.

I cringe with the use of "Mummy" between adults.  Eg, "let's have a Mummy catch up" etc.

My dad still calls mum "Mummy" when talking to me. Makes me want to scream, just why? I am 46, not 4.

#461 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

View Post76 others, on 31 March 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

'telling it as it is"

No. You're telling it how you think it is. You're saying an opinion not a fact. Usually said about a politician who is racist and sexist and homophobic. "they aren't being rude or mean. They just tell it as it is."

Ugh. No.

same as 'calls a spade a spade'.

Being told I'd need to be 'open-minded' when meeting my friend's skinhead cousin. Yes, I'm closed minded because I don't judge people based solely on their racial background :huh:

#462 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:13 AM

View PostEvra, on 02 April 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

Whoops, I didn’t mean to suggest there was anything cringey about following up emails. I was thinking more of a specific situation where somebody goes to the trouble of digging up the date of an old email just to point out that they had previously told you something. Maybe that is a vent more than a saying!

Ive done this when somebody has had a go at me for not sending them the information, usually they CC my boss in and make a big thing of it.
Otherwise I would let it go.

#463 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 01 April 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

And from another thread:

Giving birth is a natural process.

I've had 2 kids & im not exactly sure if that would be my description of it.

Your body knows what to do. Except Mine didnt.

#464 born.a.girl

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 03 April 2019 - 08:12 AM, said:

same as 'calls a spade a spade'.

Being told I'd need to be 'open-minded' when meeting my friend's skinhead cousin. Yes, I'm closed minded because I don't judge people based solely on their racial background :huh:

I'd be tempted to respond 'I'm so open minded my brain's fallen out'.

#465 kimasa

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:31 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 03 April 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

Your body knows what to do. Except Mine didnt.

I hate that one.

My body doesn't know how to properly digest food, and it's been attempting that multiple times a day for 30 years. Why would I assume it knows how to give birth without issue (which it didn't, DD was transverse).

#466 Jane Jetson

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 03 April 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

Your body knows what to do.

Yeah, as long as "what to do" = "try to bleed to death".

View PostTreasure Island, on 02 April 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

Mine is "females" technically correct but sounds derogative.

That, too. Of course in incel-land that degenerates into calling us "femoids" and "foids," plus there's the lovely new-ish term "thot," but I think I'm getting out of fluffy thread territory here, aren't I...

#467 seayork2002

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

Not sure if it translates here as such but we have been watching a lot of UK reality tv and it seems most contestants (younger than me I will admit) are now saying 'smashed it' as in finished it.

It is driving DH and I both mad

#468 Hollycoddle

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:14 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 03 April 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

Not sure if it translates here as such but we have been watching a lot of UK reality tv and it seems most contestants (younger than me I will admit) are now saying 'smashed it' as in finished it.

It is driving DH and I both mad

Yes I had a colleague who combined that with the very cringeworthy 'kicking goals' to come up with 'smashing goals'.

#469 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 03 April 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

Yes I had a colleague who combined that with the very cringeworthy 'kicking goals' to come up with 'smashing goals'.
smashing KPIs ....

#470 Wigglemama

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

“Living my best life!” Usually said by someone who has no idea what it’s like to live your worst life.

#471 Zeppelina

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostWigglemama, on 05 April 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

“Living my best life!” Usually said by someone who has no idea what it’s like to live your worst life.
Agree with you.

But I do like it when it's used in a sarcastic way, eg

Cleaning up spew at 3am. #livingmybestlife

#472 Kaz83

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:16 PM

I heard someone actually say "my heart is so full" once...

I thought that was just a hashtag.

#473 seayork2002

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

I do find #X annoying in writing

but I find it 100 times more annoying when people SAY

'hashtag X'

#474 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 05 April 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I do find #X annoying in writing

but I find it 100 times more annoying when people SAY

'hashtag X'

unless they’re ironically pointing out the ridiculousness of the #x concept in general? eg Pickering does this sometimes, so does Kitty Flanagan

#475 seayork2002

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 05 April 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

unless they’re ironically pointing out the ridiculousness of the #x concept in general? eg Pickering does this sometimes, so does Kitty Flanagan

Yes ironic hash tagging is perfectly acceptable

but I am still banning 'future focus X' (not related in anyway to # ironic or otherwise but another expression I am annoyed by lately)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.