Terms and sayings that make you cringe

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#476 Mollycoddle

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

Pro-social.  I just saw it again today on a referral at work.  In a human services context it means that a person has relationships and associations with 'good' people and positive influences.  I first heard it a few years ago when working alongside parole officers, it's  term that I assume either originated or is heavily used in a corrections context but I can see it also having some use in the drug and alcohol field.

Technically it's probably an effective term for succinctly capturing what it's trying to convey but I just hate it, it just sounds like made-up jargon by a profession that isn't supposed to be jargonistic. And for me terms like this highlight the divide between government and community-run human services, a community-based service would never use a word like this about a person or their situation, we treat them like people, dammit!

Edited by Mollycoddle, 05 April 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#477 Chocolate Addict

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

The word/term Bang to describe having sex. I mostly hear it on American reality TV.  Bang/banged/banging all bad.

#478 BadCat

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 05 April 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

The word/term Bang to describe having sex. I mostly hear it on American reality TV.  Bang/banged/banging all bad.

Bang bothers me less than some of the other terms around sex.

I hate the violent imagery around sex.  I'd hit that.  I'll destroy that.  Pound that. Smash that.  

And it's always "that" like the genitals in questions aren't attached to a human being.  And unsurprisingly "that" is nearly always referring to a vagina.

#479 Freddie'sMum

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

"Smash that" used by a man to say he would have sex with X female.  It's horrible and de-humanizing:(

#480 kimasa

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

Agree, I hate it when men use violent language to describe sex.

#481 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:51 AM

Super fluffy but the word 'handpicked' is really annoying me.
Like 'enjoy our selection of handpicked teas'.
How else is there to pick a selection of teas? Would they otherwise use a machine?

#482 Crooked Frame

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

"Boy mum/mom" Ughhhhh. :sick:

#483 Mollycoddle

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 16 April 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

Super fluffy but the word 'handpicked' is really annoying me.
Like 'enjoy our selection of handpicked teas'.
How else is there to pick a selection of teas? Would they otherwise use a machine?

I'm with you on this one!  I also hate 'bespoke'.  Apparently everything is bespoke these days which kinda misses the point as I'm pretty sure the term means one-off custom made...?  And what in the name of all that is holy is a 'food artisan' - you eat to live goddammit, it's only food!

ETA another hipster one I hate with a passion, on a par with handpicked and bespoke, is curated.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 17 April 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#484 ceeshell

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

'Hubby'

Also: The other day at work I saw a someone use 'Strawman' to refer to an early-stage draft proposal.

Apparently as the proposal gets 'firmed-up' it will be referred to as 'Tinman' then 'Ironman'. Apparently it is a thing.

I mean ..... I just have no words for how much I hate that.

#485 ~Flick~

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Oh I've loved reading all these :rofl:

My cringes are:

I feel your pain
Amazing
Awesome
On the same page
Damn straight
All over the shop
Flick me an email
Drives me bananas
He wears his heart on his sleeve
Yummy Mummy
Settle petal
Your when it's supposed to be you're - my worst peeve.

And many of the others already mentioned

Edited by ~Flick~, 16 April 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#486 Redhead43

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

I haven’t read all posts yet but two phrases I absolutely hate relate to my work in aged care.
If a resident has been incontinent of faeces, they are referred to as “ can I have help to clean up Mr X, he’s faecal!”
The second is if a person is paying their own fees rather than the government paying, they are referred to as being ‘financial’.
Both do my head in, as I believe they are demeaning and I spend a lot of time correcting people.

#487 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

Cheeky

My son is cheeky.  A glass of wine is not.

#488 seayork2002

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 16 April 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Cheeky

My husband has said that couple of times over the years - I think I have finally gotten him out of it - it makes me shudder every time.

#489 Riotproof

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

My husband refers to pieces of technology as sexy. I just roll my eyes now.

#490 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

You need to nip that in the bud Riotproof

Like yesterday

(See what I did there)

#491 Rainyeyes

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

One used at my work far too often

"Screen  Dump" as in I'll just send you a screen dump of that transaction

Also when people say "If can do it anyone can"

#492 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

View Postceeshell, on 16 April 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Also: The other day at work I saw a someone use 'Strawman' to refer to an early-stage draft proposal.

Apparently as the proposal gets 'firmed-up' it will be referred to as 'Tinman' then 'Ironman'. Apparently it is a thing.

I mean ..... I just have no words for how much I hate that.

That's confusing because 'strawman' argument has a totally different meaning.

#493 ceeshell

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 16 April 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

That's confusing because 'strawman' argument has a totally different meaning.

Right?!

It is stupid on many levels.
What’s wrong with calling it a draft proposal?

#494 Mollycoddle

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

When something 'drops' e.g. I can't wait until Chris Lilley's new series drops on Netflix.

#495 MurderBritches

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

View PostRedhead43, on 16 April 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

I haven’t read all posts yet but two phrases I absolutely hate relate to my work in aged care.
If a resident has been incontinent of faeces, they are referred to as “ can I have help to clean up Mr X, he’s faecal!”
The second is if a person is paying their own fees rather than the government paying, they are referred to as being ‘financial’.
Both do my head in, as I believe they are demeaning and I spend a lot of time correcting people.
Oh God that is foul especially the first one. The elderly in nursing homes and care already suffer a lack of dignity so to speak about them like that is truly revolting!

#496 seayork2002

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:39 PM

I can't find the words you hate thread but I hate/loathe/can't stand

Noir

#497 **Xena**

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

View PostWTFJerk, on 16 April 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Cheeky

That seems to be a very UK thing "cheeky Nando's with the Lads"

#498 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

View Postrabbit hyde, on 20 August 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Prompted by overhearing a conversation in the kitchen at work.

Are there any sayings or terms that make you cringe whenever you hear them?  Regardless of whether you can figure out why.

I, personally and for reasons unknown cringe whenever I hear adults talk about having "pocket money".

“4% variable rate” “30 year loan” “360 monthly payments of...” “interest rates increase”

I hate all those terms and sayings, lol.

#499 mumsoon1975

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

Baby brain.

Way to (further) undermine women, particularly in the workplace. And we’re often the worst offenders!

#500 eponee

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

View PostWTFJerk, on 16 April 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Cheeky

Yes!  I hate that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.