Terms and sayings that make you cringe

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#51 Paddlepop

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

I agree with almost all of the ones already listed, especially dads "babysitting" their own children and playdate.

"Smile, it could be worse" makes me want to either punch or yell at the person saying it to me. I don't have to look happy all the time. You don't even know why I look unhappy and yet you apparently know that it isn't that bad? Eff you.

Fall pregnant. There's no falling involved. It doesn't just happen mysteriously from falling over.

Booby monster, booby milk, boob the baby. Does my head in.

Quirky. I blame the useless paed. who missed my DD's ASD and called her quirky but normal. Quirky is like a red rag to a bull for me now.

Moist.
Panties.
Moist panties.

#52 seayork2002

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Can I ask what the heck is a 'baby daddy'  ???? (I am pretty sure this is a hypothetical question though)

#53 Sentient Puddle

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

"My bad" and "like"!

#54 BadCat

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Protein.

As in "I'm just frying off the protein now".

No you are not.  You are cooking the frickin pork, or steak, or tofu, or whatever.

And while I'm at it, "frying off".  Could you not just fry it like a normal person?

And if you "plate it up" I'm going to have to revoke your right to use a kitchen.

#55 seayork2002

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

The 'women and children' throw in - no they are not flippin the same!

#56 the abc

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

"literally" used repeatedly or out of context

#57 Cat Burglar

I hate 'Knickers in a twist" or "panties in a twist". I know why though, its a patronising put down but its usually used by women to insult other women on forums because those other women think something is important that they dont, usually because they are privileged enough not to have to worry about said issue

#58 BahumChchgirlbug

Yous..or youh's, or you's..I hate it and am seeing it everywhere lately, thankfully my kids don't say it but it seems to be common amongst their peers..

I am wondering if they actually teach that word at their school at the moment!!

#59 BadCat

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

manosphere
feminazi

#60 wallofdodo

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 20 August 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Moist.
Panties.
Moist panties.

ewwwwwwwwwwwww
(someone probably hates that.. whatevs)

#61 Cat Burglar

View Postseayork2002, on 20 August 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Can I ask what the heck is a 'baby daddy'  ???? (I am pretty sure this is a hypothetical question though)

Means the father of their child but they arent together. Theres a very high incidence of single mothers due to irresponsible Dads in certain socio-economic groups in the US. Also many young women do this because their dole would be nothing and they cant get a job  **Discalimer - American friend talks about this, I havent personally been to the states

#62 71Cath

Versing

Much to my horror, it has been added to the Macquarie Dictionary.

#63 Feral Grey Mare

Where to start?...

Loved Ones
Whatever, especially when accompanied by teenaged attitude.
Hashtag
Empowerment
Barbie for barbecue, also Chrissy and pressie
Cuppa
Guys - when referring to a mixed group of people
Literally - when it is not literally
Soccer mum
It's All Good - when it usually isn't

...plus so many of those already mentioned.

#64 Cranky Old Woman

I don't think anyone has the time to read my list of hated words - I'm not called a cranky old woman for nothing.

Let's just say all the words listed so far but I think my award for the most cringeworthy word this week goes to baby daddy.  

Oh and gorge as in a baby is so gorge.  For the love of dog just say gorgeous.

Edited by Cranky Old Woman, 20 August 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#65 steppy

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

I also hate baby mumma and baby daddy, and also referring to breasts as 'the girls' or 'the puppies'.

Yuk - I don't want to think of breasts as two people or puppies on my chest.

#66 Cat Burglar

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

'Just Sayin' is another I see frequently to argue a point on something they usually have no idea about

#67 MuddyPuddles

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

"Full Time Mummy", usually seen in the occupation category of their facebook profile.

#68 PattiODoors

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostBadCat, on 20 August 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Protein.

As in "I'm just frying off the protein now".

No you are not.  You are cooking the frickin pork, or steak, or tofu, or whatever.

And while I'm at it, "frying off".  Could you not just fry it like a normal person?

And if you "plate it up" I'm going to have to revoke your right to use a kitchen.

Pan fried is also another annoying phrase.

How else are you going to fry your bloody protein?  On a plastic plate?

#69 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Back to add " lady garden" to my list and also the use of American expressions like "frosting a cake" ... it is icing!

#70 Lil' Burrito

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

For some reason I hate 'indeed'

#71 Guest_JaneDoe2010_*

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

UnAustralian.

Menz.

"Expect the unexpected" - you can't!! Once you've expected it it is then the expected NOT the unexpected!!

110% (or more). LITERALLY.NOT.POSSIBLE.

The use of the word rape in any context other than what it actually is. Collingwood did NOT get "raped" by Hawthorn (as example).

#72 steppy

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostFunky Cold Ribena, on 20 August 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Pan fried is also another annoying phrase.

How else are you going to fry your bloody protein?  On a plastic plate?

Well there is deep fryer fried I guess. People don't say that though - deep fryer fried. Maybe pan fried is meant to sound healthier or something.

#73 steppy

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostJaneDoe2010, on 20 August 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

The use of the word rape in any context other than what it actually is. Collingwood did NOT get "raped" by Hawthorn (as example).

I hate that too. Aside from the fact that it an offensive way to use the term, it is also just the wrong word anyway.

#74 Little Bean

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Action used as a verb, as in "I'll action that request for you." Blergh. Why can't you just say you'll do something?

The term "babysitting" when dads are looking after kids gets up my nose as well. My husband once said it and I reminded him that, when they're your own kids, it's actually just called parenting.

#75 qak

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

would/could/should "of"

:angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.