Terms and sayings that make you cringe

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#526 born.a.girl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

Bethlehem Babe, on 25 April 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Oh yes!! Many years ago my dad would describe things as sexy. Things like a new phone or tv. Always left me uncomfortable.

Also “as obvious as dogs balls”

I don’t want to be thinking about dogs or anything else’s balls ever.

Not too many still carrying their around these days, either!

#527 WTFJerk

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

There's a neighbourhood cat we've named Nuts.  We hadn't seen him in a year or so.  He's reappeared de-nutted.  Will always be Nuts to us though.

#528 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:01 AM

CallMeFeral, on 19 April 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

But it's a thing.
http://edition.cnn.c...ndex.html?_s=PM

I don't think denying actual things that we're experiencing is the path to equality.

I had terrible brain fog with my first 2 pregnancies yet this time around Ive been super lucid. Weird hey?

Straight after the baby is born the womans brain actually expands but nobody ever seems to talk about that part!

#529 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

WTFJerk, on 19 April 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

It’s on all the cooking shows and food ads.  Especially that healthy cooking show Good Chef/Bad Chef.
Anything that’s got a bit of sugar or fat in it becomes cheeky.

Somebody trying to get out of paying for something is commonly known as a Cheeky F&&&ker on a lot of UK websites!  Or just abbreviated to a CF.

#530 AprilEthereal

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

I have an English friend. If something is extra good he says it's the dog's bollocks.

#531 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

'Uneducated'  talking about birth - just because somebody doesn't hold the same opinion as them or makes a different decision doesn't mean they haven't come through that decision through thorough reading, discussing with care providers and thinking carefully about that decision.

#532 kimasa

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Oh that one takes me back to my Facebook due date group.

#533 Monden

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:38 PM

Who’d a thunk it?

Hate it, it sounds both stupid and meanly patronising at the same time.

#534 Mister Mum

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best".

^ 100% red-flag for a psycho

#535 Navy Blue

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:01 AM

'Instagram Influencer'

And I'm not even on social media!

'I apologise if anyone was offended'

I think you mean 'I apologise for saying/doing xyz it was deeply offensive'.

#536 kimasa

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Spag.

Sounds like something a parrot would say "SQUAWK SPAG SQUAWK POLLY WANTS SOME SPAG".

#537 Mollycoddle

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

Not a saying per se but lately in the media I've been seeing 'hordes' written as 'hoards', just yesterday it was on news.com.au in an article about the high numbers of people climbing Everest. I can sort of see the similarity in meanings but journos are never off the hook with me.

#538 Mae55

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

casime, on 22 March 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

Professional Learning Team, or in other words, a staff meeting.

It’s a professional learning community now... PLTs are so 2016.

#539 Freddie'sMum

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

A family member always prefaces her opinion with "at the end of the day ...".

At the end of the day, it was the right decision.
At the end of the day, it was the wrong thing to do.
At the end of the day, he can say whatever he wants.

I am SO tempted to shout "at the end of the day, it's bloody night time !!" but I won't.

#540 seayork2002

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Freddie, on 30 May 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

A family member always prefaces her opinion with "at the end of the day ...".

At the end of the day, it was the right decision.
At the end of the day, it was the wrong thing to do.
At the end of the day, he can say whatever he wants.

I am SO tempted to shout "at the end of the day, it's bloody night time !!" but I won't.

There is not a like button in the world big enough for this!

yes!!!!

#541 WTFJerk

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

At the end of the day I’m going to a tropical island.

Tru that

#542 Mollycoddle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

'Clap back' is one I've been seeing a lot in the media lately. Meaning the act of someone responding to criticism. Hate it, it just doesn't make sense. It sounds like one of those ones someone has made up but no-one but them ever says it. Like 'fetch' - it's never going to happen lol.

Oh, and 'spill the tea'.  What's the origin of THAT one? And what the hell is wrong with 'spill the beans'?

Edited by Mollycoddle, Yesterday, 02:30 PM.

#543 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Happy wife, happy life is the one getting on my nerves lately. Hear it a lot on last years the block reruns

#544 Jane Jetson

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 30 May 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

Not a saying per se but lately in the media I've been seeing 'hordes' written as 'hoards', just yesterday it was on news.com.au in an article about the high numbers of people climbing Everest. I can sort of see the similarity in meanings but journos are never off the hook with me.

Sometimes it's the bloody sub-editor who changes the right word to the wrong one.

Ask me how I know (mutter, grumble)

#545 Ozquoll

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

WannabeMasterchef, on 25 April 2019 - 10:01 AM, said:

I had terrible brain fog with my first 2 pregnancies yet this time around Ive been super lucid. Weird hey?

Straight after the baby is born the womans brain actually expands but nobody ever seems to talk about that part!
I remember reading about a woman who had completed the famously difficult London Times cryptic crossword twice - and on both occasions she gave birth a few hours later 😀.

#546 WTFJerk

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

lizzybirdsworth, on 14 August 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Happy wife, happy life is the one getting on my nerves lately. Hear it a lot on last years the block reruns

Oh gosh that sh*ts me to tears.  So condescending and I hear it used in my family and DH’s circles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.