Terms and sayings that make you cringe

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#601 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

View Postkimasa, on 16 October 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

Here's some library pop words at the moment that I could go without hearing ever again:

"Makerspace"
"STEAM club"
"Community partnerships"

STEAM always feels weird to me. Like STEM seems to go together but STEAM seems like they've lumped a bunch of subjects together.  Maybe I don't have the right blue sky thinking or something :p

#602 Grinchette

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

"It's my ride or die", is one that makes me stabby.

#603 wallofdodo

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

Deep dive.

#604 Hollycoddle

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Another one the young ones are using - frothing, meaning being very keen on something.   Has a weird, mildly disturbing sexual vibe, a bit like 'moist'.  For some odd reason whenever I hear it I visualise the actual frothing coming from the crotch area and not the mouth :sick:

Edited by Mollycoddle, 18 October 2019 - 02:11 PM.

#605 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 18 October 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Another one the young ones are using - frothing, meaning being very keen on something.   Has a weird, mildly disturbing sexual vibe, a bit like 'moist'.  For some odd reason whenever I hear it I visualise the actual frothing coming from the crotch area and not the mouth :sick:

Id assume its from frothing at the bit, but Im not keen on the term either

#606 kimasa

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:06 PM

View Postkimasa, on 16 October 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

My husband has one of those "small suv" cars and I give him so much sh*t for it.

80% of that sh*t is just me exclaiming "$40 a week!" over and over in regards to fuel costs (aka what my car requires to travel a further distance than his,used to be $30 until fuel prices stopped going below $1.20) whenever he goes on about the wonderful fuel economy of his oversized waste of money.

Then I'd go 15% of "Look at all the places we could have parked if we took my car" every time we go somewhere because he whines that mine doesn't "have enough leg room" as if he were a 7ft giant.

Then 5% for misc sh*t-giving such as "Good thing we have this car to travel through the rugged terrain of the Fountain Gate carpark".

OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS SO IRRELEVANT TO THIS THREAD BUT I'M LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW.

SCRAP ALL OF WHAT I'VE SAID OF THE ABOVE.

HIS CAR HAS BEEN RECALLED DUE TO "SPONTANEOUS ENGINE FIRES".

100% OF THE TEASING IS NOW SPONTANEOUS FIRE RELATED!

(but if you own an ix35 you should check your VIN number)

#607 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

View PostCrombek, on 16 October 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

The Mrs isn’t great, but the Minister of War & Finance is even worse.

I'm boggled. Is that how someone is referring to their husband? I've never heard that before!

#608 VigilantePaladin

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 19 October 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

I'm boggled. Is that how someone is referring to their husband? I've never heard that before!
No. It is the wife they are referring to...

#609 Navy Blue

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Not a saying but click bait articles about a 'stunning admission' or 'shock discovery' that are nothing of the sort. (Yes I still get sucked in then kick myself!)

Also not sure if it's been mentioned 'living my best life'.

#610 notsoretro

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:33 PM

I did my first edit suggestion on Quora this week, suggesting dragged for drug, and it was accepted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.