baby writhing & squirming while feeding

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blackroses

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

So just in the last couple of days ds (now 7 weeks old) has started writhing & squirming while feeding - he arches his back & throws his head back as well as pushing off the arm of the chair with his feet - all while still attached, so it feels like he's trying to rip my nipple off! :( my nipples are already sore, I dont need this as well

Ive tried taking him off & burping him (& sometimes he does burp) but he still keeps doing it when i put him back on.

Its usually after he has fed for a while, not at the beginning, so i thought he might be full, but when i take him off he usually wants more & wont take his dummy

What is going on? What can i do to make him stop? My nipples cant handle this

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Mine does this, you tried putting him on the other boob? I've been told he's been trying to get a faster letdown

#3 mandala

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Breast compressions can also help get the flow moving faster.

#4 blackroses

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

He does it on both boobs, whichever he's feeding on at the time. You could be right re the letdown but i cant feel mine so no idea if thats whats happening

#5 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

I think gas is often the problem - the need to burp or fart.

I'd take off the breast, give a chance to burp, and if none comes pop baby face down over your arm so there is gentle pressure on the tummy. I find this works for my babies. Bicycling legs can also help.

When he is feeding can you hold the head gently so that when he pulls back you can reduce the force with your hand?

Do you time feeds? Is there a common time you can get through without it happening (eg if always after the 5 minute mark) perhaps you could try removing him at 5 minutes and burping Etc then returning to the breast (same or other side).

In my experience they do outgrow this stage. He has probably recently had his rotarix vaccination. My babies have always been a bit unsettled after this - I don't know if it's just that developmental stage or the rotarix upsets their tummies a bit it it does end.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 24 August 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#6 Renovators delight

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

From my experience, it indicates low supply / baby having trouble with getting milk out.

#7 blackroses

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

If it was low supply wouldnt he be doing it from the start of the feed though?

I end up with milk everywhere whenn he feeds so im assuming its coming out ok

I dont usually time feeds but i can start & see if i can find a common time

#8 lucky 2

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

I think it could be a bit of a continuim with your difficulties with bfing, blackroses. You've had attachment difficulties which sometimes don't disappear but they may be handled.
Dd was a terribly fussy feeder, coming on and off, screaming.
The way I fed her was to switch sides back and forth when she did this, she didn't do it all the time though.
She'd have up to 8 sides during one of those fussy feeds.
Is it at all feeds or more at a particular time of the day, ie evening/afternoon?
I'd consider not feeding on a chair with arms, ie nothing t kick off then, try a couch, sitting in the middle. Dd wasn't able to be fed in a chair with arms for very long due to the kicking off the edge of the arms.
As a pp mentioned, you could try some breast compressions/squeezing, just before she fusses or pulls off, it might help the flow and thwart her fussy attack.
If you've tried the breast compressions without benefit then you can try the switch feeding as another pp mentioned, it may be that the milk isn't flowing well and she wants more but cant get it.
You don't try to put her on the same side, you put her on the other and then if she fusses again, you switch again.
It's not the usual way to feed but if it has benefits, ie baby drinks more milk and fusses less, then it can be a valid method of feeding.
But the most ideal thing to do is to see if you can see the LC again, if it keeps continuing and you don't know why she is doing it or how to manage it, having the LC watch a feed is best as she can get an understanding of what your baby is doing and why.
It's tricky as it could be flow slowing, it could be air, it could be a part of normal behavior for a 7 week old.
Perhaps try some of the tactics and see how you go.
You could also ring the ABA helpline as it might be easier to talk about it.
All the best.

#9 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

It may be a crap idea from me to time feeds so don't let it cause you any stress. It's only an idea.

It's wonderful news that you have a lot of milk :) I know how hard you've worked to get there.

When he pulls off does it spurt everywhere? If so it may be just a little fast for him which will settle down as he gets bigger.

There was an eerily similar thread posted yesterday in this sub forum. You're definitely not alone.

#10 lucky 2

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

His fussing could mean he is not able to get as much as she wants (or as easy as he wants), even if it is available.
It's so hard to know for sure, that's where a LC can help.
If it's about flow the fussiness will begin when the flow slows, so usually not at the beginning of the feed.
Though some babies who have had a lot of bottles will fuss at the beginning, that's usually because they have to wait for let down at the breast but not at the bottle, it flows immediately.
Babies can lose patience waiting for the let down, but that doesn't sound like what is happening with your baby.
Is your baby exclusively breastfed?
If she is and she is growing, please be assured that despite the difficulties you are experiencing, she is still able to feed well enough to meet her growth needs and that's the main thing, ie healthy baby and healthy breasts. x

eta

If it was low supply wouldnt he be doing it from the start of the feed though?
There is a difference btn low supply and flow slowing, no-one is saying you have low supply/low milk production, I thought I'd add that so you didn't have an extra thing to worry about!

#11 jill1972

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Sounds like gas to me.  Two of mine had a bit of trouble with this from 5 weeks for 3 - 4 weeks, but they would cry like they were in terrible pain too.  Is your bub crying?  I gave a solution before and after feeds called 'Marina's Mix' (from the chemist).  It worked great and my babies liked taking it.  It helped bring the gas up and I was very thorough and vigilant with burping & took my time with it.  I hope it's still available I'm going to make sure I have it on hand before my next one is due.  It was fantastic.

ETA, it's called Marina Infant Mixture

Edited by jill1972, 24 August 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#12 CookieCutter

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Nothing useful to add here, but having seen some of your earlier posts I just wanted to say well done on getting so far with breastfeeding. You're doing a great job!

#13 blackroses

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

He cries like he has gas occasionally but not all yhe time & its after feeds - he never cries while he's writhing & squirming

Im seeing an lc this week - every time ive seen one in the past though ds is an angel & feeds perfectly while they are watching then as soon as they are gone the issues begin again

Also now that this has made my nipples really sore again, how can i stop them rubbing & sticking to my bra or breast pads? It is really painful & is making the problem worse

#14 Guest_Ella Minnow Pea_*

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Have you tried hydrogel breast pads? They've been my saving grace when my nipples are blistered and bleeding. Especially if I pop them in the fridge for a while first.

Eta: the pads, that is, I'm not popping my nipples in the fridge :D

Edited by Ella Minnow Pea, 24 August 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#15 lucky 2

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hydrogel pads for nipples or Multi-mums or medical grade lanolin, all available from chemists.
You can also express a bit of milk if the pad is stuck, the wetness should losen the pad so you don't have to pull it off and interfere with nipple healing.
Sounds mean to say but I hope your baby has a very fussy feed when you see the LC this week, iykwim? x

#16 Future-self

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

I spent a lot of time topless 'airing my nipples' or with lanolin on them whilst they we're hanging out free :) Had to make sure I remembered to close the blind before taking DS to the change table - I didn't always! Lucky neighbours ;)

I had great success with compressions and switch feeding with DS in The early days and at other times too when he was older. His feeds took awhile and he'd lose interest and get impatient when flow slowed so both these strategies definitely helped . I'd do it when expressing too

He was also a fartybum rather than a huge burper too so I'd rub his tummy in a clockwise direction a couple if times a day and do bicycle legs which seemed to help

You have done so amazingly well Blackroses :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.