Breast pain months after stopping breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Felix101

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

I stopped breastfeeding DS about 4-5 months ago (he was 26 months). I also started back on the pill.

About 3 months ago I started getting pain in my left breast. It's a dull ache, and it comes and goes. It's not bad but it's just there. I went to my doc and he said everything felt fine but to let him know if it persisted.

I've since been back to the doc and have a referal for an ultrasound, which I'll be getting next week.

I'm obviously a little worried, and will be following thru all the medical stuff, but I'm also wondering if it's just my body adjusting back from 2yrs of feeding? I wonder if anyone else has any similar experiences?

Tia
Felix

#2 Jingleflea

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Have you started wearing underwire bras again? Could it be a wire digging in? Have you been fitted for a new bra maybe, or perhaps it's time to get fitted in case your breasts have changed in size.

#3 Lifesgood

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

If the pain persists and you are worried I'd get a second opinion OP

#4 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

Ultrasound is the best thing to do, this way you will be very sure what is going on.

Antibiotics or mammograms are not the most definitive way of treating or testing.

Your doctor is doing the right thing. Congratulations finding one that isn't fobbing you off with antibiotics.

Best wishes.

#5 Felix101

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

I've been wearing underwire for about 6 months, but it's a good point about bra size that I hadn't thought of... My boobs have shrunk quite a lot and I'm wearing mostly pre-preg bras that are now a little big...

I've got a great doc luckily - and he knows I despise antibiotics unless absolutely necessary :)

#6 MsNorbury

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

Get a scan done.  

Also note if it occurs at particular times I had a similar thing had a scan (ulatrsound) found it was nothing, and also found out breast pain is very common.

I still get it, but it is related to my cycle.  I feel for you it is uncomfortable.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

The change isn't just not bfing, you have recommenced hormonal contraception. I'd just do as the GP suggested, I hope everything is fine and it's just hormonal changes.

#8 Hedgehog Slice

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

I have similar persistent pain (and a one year old, did not BF).  It's there all the time but I notice that it is worse post-ovulation.

After a couple of months with no improvement I went to the GP who couldn't feel anything but referred me for an ultrasound.  Ultrasound was clear.  GP thinks the pain is related to hormones and advised to wear wire-free bras (which I can't bring myself to buy - I need support lol!).

The pain is a lot easier to deal with now that I know it's nothing sinister. Hopefully yours is nothing to worry about either.  Good luck with the ultrasound (it can be stressful leading up to it if you have an active imagination like mine!).

#9 Felix101

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thanks all :)

Yes hedgehog, I also have an active imagination and having to wait til next week to just get the scan, then probably no results til the following week isn't helping it....

#10 Ally'smum

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

I had the same thing and have had an ultrasound which came back clear. I think mine is hormonal as well, I don't notice it all the time.

#11 Hedgehog Slice

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

Felix101, on 05 November 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Thanks all Posted Image

Yes hedgehog, I also have an active imagination and having to wait til next week to just get the scan, then probably no results til the following week isn't helping it....

I know what it's like, the days sure did drag leading up to my ultrasound.  

Luckily the ultrasound technician told me at the time of the scan that she couldn't see anything nasty, then the 'supervisor' (not sure of the term) reviewed it just in case they could pick up on something for which a biopsy was needed (it wasn't) and I was free to go. I was so happy I didn't have to wait for results - hopefully you have a similar experience.

#12 Felix101

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

All clear! Just had my ultrasound and thankfully the sonographer told me straight away that it was all clear :)
Feelibg pretty relieved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.