Green sustainable Christmas

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yogurtbliss

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi everyone. I am interested to hear what sustainable/ green/ environmentally friendly things you do to keep Christmas green!
We are trying the following:

Reusing last years cards for gift tags.
Making our own bonbons with toilet rolls and christmas fabric napkins, printing our own jokes and including a chocolate.
No paper plates, cutlery, cups or serviettes.
Choosing gifts with little or no packaging.
Planning our menu to avoid wasted food.
Not buying any new decorations.

Not sure what to do for a tree? We don't have one, but I can't decide!

Would love to hear what you will try!

#2 Elemenopee

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

I made fabric bags several years ago, we use those in place of wrapping paper. I tie them with ribbon and we have wooden tags with the kids names on them.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

I like this kind of thing for a tree. http://ueberallunirg...baum-to-go.html

#4 tothebeach

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Our family has a policy of second hand gifts only for the family Kris Kringle.  No additional plastic crap into landfill.

We don't use any disposable plates etc.

We have lots of vegetarian options.

#5 omongomong

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

Wow great ideas! I have bought the gifts for the kids from the op shop and from a local wood maker (a dinosaur skeleton and a doll house. V cool).

That fabric wrapping idea is great! I am going to do that.

My husband is pretty desperate for a tree - it's our first Christmas back in Australia after many years away.

#6 Sentient Puddle

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostYogurtbliss, on 07 November 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hi everyone. I am interested to hear what sustainable/ green/ environmentally friendly things you do to keep Christmas green!
We are trying the following:

Reusing last years cards for gift tags.
Making our own bonbons with toilet rolls and christmas fabric napkins, printing our own jokes and including a chocolate.
No paper plates, cutlery, cups or serviettes.
Choosing gifts with little or no packaging.
Planning our menu to avoid wasted food.
Not buying any new decorations.

Not sure what to do for a tree? We don't have one, but I can't decide!

Would love to hear what you will try!

Umm - I wouldnt be making bon bons out of toilet rolls - I am not a germaphobe - but you are taking something that has sat in the toilet for a few days and then using it at your dinner table.  Cut up  a paper towel roll instead and your guests will be happy not to have gastro the following day as an added Xmas gift!

#7 shannonhill

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

I know it's kinda very unorthodox, but we have completely vegan food on Christmas eve (we're not vegans).

We just use clothe and figs and leaves for all the decoration. Just tidying everything up and setting everything up neatly will make the house look great.

We also don't use paper for anything.

#8 FeelingcLucky

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

We did a bush Xmas tree last year with a large branch we found on the ground from a gum tree we decorated - very 'Australian' and smelt nice, would your DH be interested in that?

Also did bush decorations with dried leaves / gum nuts etc we had collected for the Christmas table decorations.

Old newspaper the kids had painted and drawn on for wrapping paper with some fried gum tree leaves stuck on for decoration.

Best of luck.

Edited by FeelingcLucky, 20 May 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#9 frogcal

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

I'm growing my own free range turkey this year! First time raising turkeys so I'm a bit nervous about it but have been raising free range chicken for a while so hopefully will go well.
Will grow all the veg and salad ourselves and get a pig from a local free range producer.
I have cut down on gifts for everyone over the last few years, do home made goodies for teachers, family friends and neighbours.

#10 seemingly

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

For the Christmas tree you could roll up magazine paper/newspaper/those annoying booklets you get in the mail into tight rolls with a slight overlap so one end is pointy. Make heaps of these pointy rolls and glue/sticky-tape on top of each other and overlapping to create a tree.

Like this:
http://cdn.architect...as-Trees-26.jpg

#11 nup

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

I'm all for xmas snd btinging it foward but this thread is crazy early!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.