Books that make you stabby, that everyone else seems to love

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#1 Weirdly Sane

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'll go first.

The Rosie Project.  Over-simplified populist mythology, in a sugar coating.

Next?

#2 Belinda18

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

POPULAR

Fifty Shades of Grey

It's not hot, it's controlling abuse. I don't get what people seem to love about it. I read the first one just to see what they hype was about, I didn't waste my time with th others

#3 Mumtotwo13

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

The English Patient, what an intellectual wa#k.

Agree with 50 shades of beige...

#4 Let-it-go

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

This is a while ago.  The Beach (made into a movie with Leonardo).  I was going backpacking in Thailand and I was told I MUST read it before going.  I was confused.  Terrible book and nothing like actually backpacking in Thailand.

#5 Mum'o'1

The catcher in the Rye???? I don't get it. An American Classic but I was bored to tears waiting for something to happen. Lucky only a thin book book....

#6 The Old Feral

Anything by Jodi Picoult.

#7 71Cath

POPULAR

Eat Pray Love

Self indulgent, self righteous twaddle

#8 Lunafreya

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

Twilight
Left Behind

#9 immismum

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

The Slap,
No more to be said....

#10 Cranky Old Woman

The apparently never ending Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  

#11 seayork2002

Time Travellers Wife

best thread EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 MoppyBoo

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

The Davinci Code
Gone Girl

I read A LOT (easily 2/3 books a week) and these two made me want to set fire to something.

#13 au*lit

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. They're not deep just because they're set in Afghanistan and discuss the abuse of women, they're trite predictable rubbish.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. The writing is awful, bad and breaks every rule of 'good' writing, while apparently being considered literary fiction.

A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. So boring I didn't finish it.

Twilight - no need to elaborate, but what is wrong with the grown ups who love this crap??

#14 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Just thought of another one - The Bride Stripped Bare.

#15 la di dah

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

The Red Tent. I really wanted to like it but it was gross, bad understanding of geography, overwrought, and demeans the role of women in early monotheism.

#16 Nobody Cool

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Could not get into it at all.

#17 babatjie

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

View Postau*lit, on 12 November 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

Twilight - no need to elaborate, but what is wrong with the grown ups who love this crap??

I don't know, maybe have different interests to you? Shock horror.

#18 Freddie'sMum

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

It won the Booker Prize a while back and I got half way through it and gave up. I didn't care about the characters at all.

Under the Tuscan Sun - I can't remember the author but this was the book that launched all the "I am going to run away from my suburban life in the US / UK / Australia and live in the Greek Islands / Italy / France and live happily ever after".

God it was bollocks.

I wanted to reach through the book and slap the author - it was based on her true story and she came across as the most self indulgent, whingey, whiney - woe-is-me- person you could ever have the misfortunate to meet.

(edited because I can't spell today)

Edited by Freddie'sMum, 12 November 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#19 Bess Marvin

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Life of Pi. I was so bored I should have set fire to it, just for the brief burst of entertainment the flames would have brought.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

Any books that come under the word 'genre'

#21 AggyW72

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Gould's Book of Fish! I didn't get it!
And it really riles me that my DH loved it!

#22 jessiesgirl

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. The writing is awful, bad and breaks every rule of 'good' writing, while apparently being considered literary fiction.

Really?  I enjoy this book immensely every time I read it and I like her others as well.  

My vote goes to anything written by V Nabokov.  I haven't read many other blockbusters I thnk.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

I fall into this trap then wonder why afterwards but just because a lot of people read a book does not make it good it just means heaps of people are reading and and fall for the 'if I see it mentioned everywhere it must be good' trick (that I will say AGAIN I fall for myself)

#24 gracie1978

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. They're not deep just because they're set in Afghanistan and discuss the abuse of women, they're trite predictable rubbish.

A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. So boring I didn't finish it.

I loved Twilight, I read all four in a week when I was stuck at home with a terrible flu, it was about all my little brain could handle.  So in answer to question, an illness? :p

Are we allowed to hate books we haven't read?
My Mum told me to read Christiantiy, Islam and Atheism: The Struggle for the Soul of the West, I was so impressed that she was reading a book about religion, then I realised what it was... anti Muslim propaganda :/

#25 Ellie bean

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostCranky Old Woman, on 12 November 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Just thought of another one - The Bride Stripped Bare.
That reminds me, my brother gave me this book for christmas one year, don't think he had a clue what it was about or he wouldn't have bought it for his sister!

Another vote for eat pray love, I really hated that book.

Tuesdays with Morrie is another one I really disliked, self indulgent sentimental twaddle.

I enjoy some really trashy books though so can't claim any superiority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.