Books that make you stabby, that everyone else seems to love

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#51 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

"execrable bilge" - I like that. Or Dorothy Parker's famous review  of a book (whose name I can't recall)-

"not a book to be lightly tossed aside....but to be thrown, with great force."

#52 clemency

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

I wrote mine before reading the thread, love that so many are on the same page, so to speak.

But I really love the Slap. And Barracuda, his newer book. I think Tsiolkas is a wonderful writer.

Never read Fifty Shades, but I kind of want to try now.

#53 Boombox

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

I also struggled with The Riders, and I'm possibly Tim Winton's biggest fan!

Also agree with The Slap- full of unlikable, unbelievable characters.

Also hated Disgrace by JM Coetze, although I re read it as an older adult and hated it less than when I was in my 20's.

Don't like the Game of Thrones much either- found I kept having to skip ahead.

Recently had to stop half way through A Suitable Boy- yawn-athon!

#54 Weirdly Sane

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostFreddie, on 12 November 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

Under the Tuscan Sun - I can't remember the author but this was the book that launched all the "I am going to run away from my suburban life in the US / UK / Australia and live in the Greek Islands / Italy / France and live happily ever after".

God it was bollocks.

I wanted to reach through the book and slap the author - it was based on her true story and she came across as the most self indulgent, whingey, whiney - woe-is-me- person you could ever have the misfortunate to meet.

(edited because I can't spell today)

Frances Mayes.

What really annoyed me with this, FM, is how unbelievably perfect she made her partner out to be - the perfect combination of he-man and poet.  Yechh.  And how they were obviously loaded but somehow managed to avoid referring to that.

Yes to PP who mentioned Gould's book of Fish.

#55 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Catcher in the Rye was one of my favourite books as a teen.  I liked Franny and Zooey as well.

#56 The Old Feral

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

View Postbabatjie, on 12 November 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Why do PP not like Jodi Picoult?

She takes some really clever and intriguing plot ideas and completely ruins them with one dimensional characters, nauseating prose and rushed, unsatisfying endings.

#57 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 12 November 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

"execrable bilge" - I like that. Or Dorothy Parker's famous review  of a book (whose name I can't recall)-

"not a book to be lightly tossed aside....but to be thrown, with great force."

Winnie the Pooh I think.  

clemency you so do NOT want to read 50 shades of bilge.

I'm still cackling that Charlie Hannan had a no frontal nudity clause in his contract for what looks to be a dreadful movie.

#58 mintpatty

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

The Goldfinch by Donna Tart.  737 pages on my ereader - 550 pages dedicated to describing the main character's cocaine induced dripping nose.  The only book I've ever "broken up" with.

I've read a fair few crap books right to the end just to find out what happened...but I got 2/3 of the way through and just could...not...read...another...page.  So I cheated and looked up the storyline on Wiki.  I don't think I missed much.

EFS

Edited by mintpatty, 12 November 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#59 twinklestars

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

I cannot stand anything by Danielle Steel. Every time I've read one of her books I feel utterly depressed for the rest of the day.

I hate the Virginia Andrews books too. Absolutely revolting tripe.

I've never read 50 Shades, never had the slightest desire to either. I feel like I've dodged a bullet somehow, lol!

#60 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 12 November 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Any books that come under the word 'genre'
So, all books then?

#61 SusieGreen

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

My top three are listed.
Gone Girl
Time Travellers Wife
The Bride Stripped Bare

View PostAryaStar, on 12 November 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Could not get into it at all.

I started this book about 3 times and couldn't understand the hype. The start would have to be the worst ever. I know many people who couldn't get past the first part.  
I persevered and once past that 'hump' though it picked up and I thought it was wonderful.

#62 MrsLexiK

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

50 shades (not only was it abusive bull sh*t it was crap writing)

Harry Potter ......…............ Please do not hate me

#63 twinklestars

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

Another one - The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I wanted to love this book, but just couldn't get into it at all.

#64 Tikvah

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

The only book I have ever destroyed in my life is The ****ING Alchemist by Paul Cohello9. Anti-intellectual, faux-fey dreck. Moronic. I drowned it in the fountain at uni.

Other than that, oh the list is long:

Eat Pray Spew. The smug stupidity burns my eyes. Which is a bit odd because her latest is completely different - she's not a self indulgent moron! Who knew?

All of Dan Brown - every single last page - is sh*t.

I have loved Tsolkias - I think that Dead Europe is probably my favourite Australian novel and I loved Loaded. But Jesus ****ing Christ The Slap was a woman-hating piece of sh*te and Barracuda was irredeemably bad - except for the sex scenes. The only well-written parts of the book were the gay sex scenes.

The Life of Pi was an obnoxiously smug irritating failure.

Gone Girl was sexist bullsh*t - and poorly written.

We're not actually calling Twilight and 50 Shades real books are we? They are so very awful that they're kind of funny. except for the abusive relationship part in both of them - that is distinctly unfunny.

Have never read Jodie (sp?) Picoult

Cloudstreet. ****ing sentimental Hills-hoist twaddle. In fact, anything by Tim Winton.

The Game of Thrones series. He can't write. At all, really. I can totally understand why he was turned down for it as a screenwriter for a film. His schtick is that he makes characters and kills them. The end. There is nothing more of interest. He uses 'butt' anachronistically and jarringly. One of the rare cases where the TV series is miles better than the books - at least there are boobs to look at.

Someone else besides me hated Catcher in the Rye! I'm amazed. I just wanted to tell him to have a w**k and bloody get on with it.

I haven't read any Courtenay or Danielle Steele.

I'm sure I'll be back with more crank, just gimme a min to think more.

#65 Weirdly Sane

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

View Postmintpatty, on 12 November 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tart.  737 pages on my ereader - 550 pages dedicated to describing the main character's cocaine induced dripping nose.  The only book I've ever "broken up" with.

I've read a fair few crap books right to the end just to find out what happened...but I got 2/3 of the way through and just could...not...read...another...page.  So I cheated and looked up the storyline on Wiki.  I don't think I missed much.

EFS

NOOoooo!!!

On my Top 10 of best books ever.

Which just goes to prove my point really - the world would be so dull if we all agreed all the time.

Except that I'm right about The Goldfinch.

#66 88k

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

The Divergent series. It was ok, if a bit poorly written.... until the 3rd book... Well, after that I wanted a refund for the books, and the time I spent reading them.

#67 tarrie cat

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

It's either "The Woman in White" or "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins. (I think it was The Moonstone.) I had to read it for Literature at uni and god, I loathed it!!! So many times I wanted to hurl it across the room but I had to finish it because I had to write an essay on it.

But something a bit more modern...

"The Devil Wears Prada". I ended up absolutely hating the protagonist in that and actually felt sorry for the woman who was meant to be 'the devil'.

The other one was "The Nanny Diaries" which just ended up feeling so voyeuristic. Too much information about the families so it read like it wasn't that far away from the truth.

And of course, "Twilight". I must admit I've only read snippets of the books but it's enough to make me want to barf. The films make me deeply angry so less said, the better...

#68 niggles

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

I can usually find something I like in what I read, and I try to avoid styles of writing I'm not likely to enjoy so it doesn't often happen that I'm sucked in and dissappointed. I read some crap from time to time but I don't expect more than I get.

That said I didn't really like Vernon God Little. That was widely acclaimed.

The Historian beat me in the end. I quit about 100 pages before the end and usually I'd finish for the sake of it by that point.

There are some books so beautifully crafted that when I hear people say they don't enjoy them...well let's just say I judge the person and not the book. :tongue: I'm looking at you anyone who's just cited Catcher in the Rye in this thread.

On The Goldfinch, which was going to wait til well after baby and as it turns out has fit in before with time to spare, I can't articulate yet just why I enjoyed it as much as I did. It just held me, despite the unrelenting drug use dominating the plot. Maybe with those settings it felt like a nicely done nod to Catcher crossed with Fear and Loathing. Or maybe it just felt right that you don't get to write about an addict without allowing the drugs to remain frustratingly front and centre.

#69 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostTikvah, on 12 November 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

The Game of Thrones series. He can't write. At all, really. I can totally understand why he was turned down for it as a screenwriter for a film. His schtick is that he makes characters and kills them. The end. There is nothing more of interest. He uses 'butt' anachronistically and jarringly. One of the rare cases where the TV series is miles better than the books - at least there are boobs to look at.

How on earth can it be anachronistic if it is fantasy?  It's based on the Wars of the Roses but he can use whatever language he wants to.

I am not defending him as a stylist, nobody but a pimply teen geek who is graduating from Eddings could do so but he does deliver a good read if you like that kind of thing.

#70 Guest_Ella Minnow Pea_*

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostTikvah, on 12 November 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

We're not actually calling Twilight and 50 Shades real books are we? They are so very awful that they're kind of funny. except for the abusive relationship part in both of them - that is distinctly unfunny.

We certainly shouldn't be calling them separate books since one is fanfiction of the other.

#71 niggles

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

I love The Woman in White! Must have been Moonstone. ;)

#72 AlmostCeleste

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

I add my vote to Eat Pray Love, it infuriated me. I have heard that her latest is pretty good, I might give her another chance.
The Slap was painful to read, all totally unlikeable characters.

I'm going to nominate The Great Gatsby. I told a very literary friend this and she was horrified :) Couldn't care less about any of the characters, was totally bored, and the "great American novel' aspect of it is totally lost on me. Just uninvolving.

#73 Riotproof

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:40 PM

Oh yes, I couldn't finish The Historian. It had such potential to be good, and yet.

Da Vinci code. Oh my.

I also tried very hard to read "proof of heaven" but the author writes like an arrogant a*s*hole.

#74 tarrie cat

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

About 50 Shades of Grey...

My problem with is (apart from the appalling writing) is that it's a total misrepresentation of the BDSM scene. While I don't practice bondage (or the others for that matter), I do find it incredibly interesting facet of humanity. If nothing else, it shows that the human imagination is pretty much limitless. (What two - or more - consenting adults do to each other in the privacy of their own home/dungeon is their own business.)

50 Shades of Grey has nothing to do with what I would consider real bondage or domination. In reality, it's the bottom/submissive who has all the power. 50 Shades of Grey just sounds like an excuse for a guy to abuse and control a very naive woman.

Edited by tarrie cat, 12 November 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#75 Tikvah

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostElla Minnow Pea, on 12 November 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

We certainly shouldn't be calling them separate books since one is fanfiction of the other.

see there ya go - I didn't know that. Explains their awfulness.

As for the pp who defended Martin's use of Butt - no. If you're 'Ser' ing and 'My lady'ing all over the shop, using 'butt' makes you sound like a american gamer who wears loose black tshirts and hasn't left the house and has existed on pizza since forever.

Which is, as far as I'm concerned, exactly what Martin is.

Agree about the Great Gatsby. I thought I was the only one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.