#26 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostSilverstreak, on 23 November 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

I love this thread!

Me too!  I love Christmas lights.

#27 CupOfCoffee

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

Vfr, I agree with your husband, I am going totally gaudy. :D

My husband drew the line at getting a carport for the specific purpose of having something extra to hang lights from.

#28 Girlo

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

I love Christmas and Christmas lights! We willbe putting ours up this week, but I don't turn them in until 1 December each year.

Each year I tend to get one more biggish thing to add. This year I have a new sleigh and two reindeer that move their heads to set up... Very excited!!!

I can't believe people have had lights stolen.... That is so grinch-like!!

#29 twinklestars

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

I want to get some lights for the front of the house this year. The kids have been asking so I'll have to get onto DH to get some! We also drive around on Christmas Eve looking at lights and eating Maccas for dinner. The kids love it.

#30 4Princes

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

To those people who have had their lights stolen, we had ours stolen last year (just a few solar ones from the front garden), put a few zip ties around the cords and the the trunk of a tree its makes them harder to remove also put liquid paper (the liquid stuff it's hard to remove) on the base of the solar panels with your address it makes them think twice about stealing stuff.  Someone went around town 1 afternoon just before school pickup (ie most ppl are out) last year and stole heaps of people's solar lights from their front gardens.

I haven't even thought about putting ours up yet, I need to mow and whipper snip the front yard.  It's so dry and hot that most of the lawn is dead any way. I also think our little town will not have as many displays as last year as our local cheap shop went bust and the hardware stores and Woolies don't tend to carry much bar the basics.

#31 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

I can FINALLY get into the decorating this year.

I have a long solar multicolour rope for the gutters, and bout 8 of the 'merry christmas' rope trees,train, santa and reindeer, candycanes etc to go in the grass.

For the day time, I also have a couple of candy canes and a few banners.

Have decided that in order to make them harder to steal, I am chaining the lights to each other... They be heavy bastards~ lol

#32 Speckle Park

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

I have used bike chains on bigger lights in the past. Bolt cutters would go right through them but it stops an opportunistic snatch and run.

Last year a very long string of lights was cut but it was half way down our front path so I think it was possums or rats rather than a grinch.

#33 CupOfCoffee

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

I will get some zip ties, that is a good idea.

My husband came downstairs and was surprised to see me painting the picket fence we are going to put in the front yard.  When I told him the picket fence would be perfect for the Christmas lights he just sighed and said 'of course they will be'.  lol..

#34 Chelli

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

This would be me if I didn't live rurally. I'm pretty sure the cows wouldn't care about my Christmas lights. I do appreciate the effort others go to though, we love driving around looking at them. Well, I should really say it's me who loves them, everyone else in my family just indulges me I'm sure ;)

#35 MrsLexiK

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

I want to live in an area that does Christmas lights

#36 Gumbette

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

We don't do lights OP, but would to know where you live so we can bring DD.

#37 raspberry sherbert

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

We usually put out a couple of strands of lights. But apart from 1 or 2 others not many people put up lights. I wished we lived in an area that did though.

#38 4kids mostlysane

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

We hammer our deer and present 3D lights in with great big steel pegs.  Touch wood we've never had anything stolen.

This coming weekend is the weekend!!  Can't wait.  DH grumbles about setting up the lights and how long it takes but he always does it and fusses more than me about getting it just right :xmas_tongue:   We have rope lights for the roof, some small ones inside the front windows and fairylights strung through the trees in the front yard.  Plus I may have bought some more solar net lights for the front hedges......

Probably about half the houses in our street put up lights - we're pretty much all on a par and none of us can be a*sed out-doing the other.  

My friends do like to call me Clark Griswald at this time of year.  It's a badge of honour as far as I am concerned :xmas_cool:  (I put my obsession with lights down to the fact that we were deprived as children and didn't have any at all)

#39 nicebitch

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

We are on a short street and only the people half way up do lights, and me well, I make the saddest effort you have ever seen. For the past 3 years I have had one, thats right ONE string of blue lights on the bushes. This year I bought a net of lights which I may throw on a bush too.

I'd like to go into it more but the front of our house doesn't give us much to work with, as our house kind of faces side on.

#40 Mellie Kate

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

we do a big display and get more stuff every year after Christmas when it goes on sale to help keep the costs down(still adds up though)

Not many in our street do it, maybe a handful, but we enjoy doing it and the kids next door LOVE it.

We use cable ties and big pegs to tie things down in the hope that it will stop people stealing stuff, as its to hard to just grab and run with.

Edited by Mellie Kate, 26 November 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#41 CupOfCoffee

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

We should share photos when our displays are up.

(That way I can steal ideas for next year) :)

#42 CupOfCoffee

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

Lights photograph really badly and I need to put better batteries in some of my solar lights, but have about 3000 lights up so far.

I already have plans for next year :p

Attached Files

#43 4Princes

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

I'm starting tomorrow DS3 has school sores so he's stuck at home for another week (last week was hand foot and mouth), he's despartly bored so I said we could put up the lights.  

I got a $50 Bunnings voucher for my birthday and I (or my mum did on her way back from Sydney) bought an inflatable Santa, I sold some chooks this week too so I got a couple of Reindeers and some rope lights.  

Hubby's fiddling with some indoor lights I stuffed up (left them in the rain) and Raspberry Pi automation to put in the windows!

#44 CupOfCoffee

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

Bunnings has been my favourite spot for Christmas lights, but Masters has had a couple of sales (I ordered 4 more solar rope lights last night from there on sale)

What is raspberry pi automation?

I wanted something that sung Christmas carols in the mail box... my husband did not like that idea.

#45 RedZebra

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

There used to be a few areas here in Hobart that had tons of lights, it was brilliant.

The problem here is that we have only one, very dodgy power company. So our power rates are massive.

A few years ago when they put the prices up again by a huge percentage, most people stopped doing the big displays.

But one street in a housing commission area that is predominantly aged pensioners still does some really big ones. They always had tons of people wander down for a look as everyone in the street did it.
Now only 2 or 3 houses do, but they really put on a show and cars are backed up all along the street.

The power costs now would mean it'd cost them their whole pension each week just to have it going a few hours each night. So for the last 5 years they've put buckets next to Santa (they dress up and everything) for donations.

It was a fantastic idea, everyone donates change and the amount of people that visit means it covers the power :)

Apparently it costs around an extra $100 a night for power, around $150 on a PAYG meter (which are installed in most housing properties and rentals in low socioeconomic areas like ours as they were marketed as a budget option - seriously! ).
We have a PAYG meter unfortunately so no lights (the rate is insane), and I reckon that's a low estimate!

#46 4Princes

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

View PostCupOfCoffee, on 02 December 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

Bunnings has been my favourite spot for Christmas lights, but Masters has had a couple of sales (I ordered 4 more solar rope lights last night from there on sale)

What is raspberry pi automation?

I wanted something that sung Christmas carols in the mail box... my husband did not like that idea.

I love Bunnings, unfortunately the closest one is 2 hours away and the last 2 times I went there I had specific things to get with not much money.  I wish they had mail order like Masters do.

Raspberry Pi is a simple computer system that's the size of a credit card, you can use it to make lights to flash to music etc.  Look it up on YouTube there's heaps of videos about using it for automation.

No lights today, too hot and really need to mow the lawn and order a couple of things first. I really like the look of these:

http://www.wahardwar...4028314.html.  

Might stop ppl stealing stuff too!

Edited by 4Princes, 02 December 2014 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.