Sammy's birth story, with no "established" labour.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 suzy-c

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hello all. I haven't been on the forum for a while, so haven't written my bub's almost-no-labour birth story from Easter this year! (slack, I know.)

I was 39yrs old and expecting my 3rd boy. I'd been having blood pressure issues, but only for a few weeks. The rest of the pregnancy had been totally uneventful. Still, at just under 38 weeks, they decided he needed to come out. I was at the hospital for a checkup, so I had nothing with me. I had to call DP Andy to pack a bag and get the boys minded.

They put the gel in, about 1pm and nothing really happened, so they put some more in 6hrs later. I started getting a few tightenings here and there, which turned into mild contractions over the next couple of hours.

They were not regular or close together, but I'd missed out on getting an epidural the last time, so I asked about one then. They said they couldn't do it until I was in established labour, (which they defined as roughly 3 contractions per 10 or less mins, lasting at least 45 seconds, for more than an hour.) They knew my previous labour had been 4hrs from "established" to bub emerging, but established is established and sporadic is sporadic. I thought I wouldn't have long to wait, anyway.

It was nearly 10pm when they wheeled me to the birth suite. Nothing much had changed, but it wasn't very busy, so they brought me in there for monitoring and examination. I'd had a couple of nasty contractions but nothing regular. They let me have the gas, which made me nice and light headed. The midwife said she was going to break my waters, to try and get things going. When her attempt was hurting me, I told her not to pay any attention to me, and to just do it, but she said "No, I know my limits." and went and got a more experienced midwife. I appreciate honesty. :)

The midwife said "Well there's your water's gone, now your contractions are going to be a bit stro....

"AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!" Before she had finished, a feeling like a plunger was being dragged through me, just appeared suddenly. I called to my partner next to me "Help me! Give me something!" He said "You're doing really well. Breathe the gas." I screamed "I don't wanna do well! I want something for the paaaaaainnn!" I thought no way am I putting up with this for 4hrs, this was absolute torture!

The next contraction was a few seconds later and was stronger. Again I said "Give me something!" and my partner said "Babe, he's coming now." I replied "Yes I know"... because i'd felt him descending as soon as he said it. With my knee hooked over my partner's shoulder, Baby Samuel was propelled out. I don't recall having to consciously push.

Sammy was having trouble establishing his breathing. Apparently, the birth canal squeezes some of the fluid out of their lungs on the way out, making the lungs easier to inflate once out. They said he hadn't spent long enough in the birth canal for this to happen, so was having oxygen de-saturations. A doctor appeared and told us he would have to go to NICU.

Within a few minutes of his two-proper-contraction birth, he was spirited away to NICU, where we were told he was perfectly fine and quite safe, just in need of close monitoring.

So we were left scratching our heads. Did that just happen? It didn't seem enough. Sure, it was horrifically painful. My symphis pubis suffered a sudden injury in the process and was sore for months afterwards. It just seemed surreal that all of a sudden, I was no longer pregnant and the baby was somewhere else.

In the two days that followed, I hoped against hope that he would improve enough to come to the ward with me, so we could go home together, but it wasn't to be. I had to leave after 2 days. He stayed in for nearly 3 weeks.

Sammy came out tiny, about 2.5kgs, but has become a chubby, giggling 8mth old, with no lingering negative health effects. He is every bit as adorable as his big brothers and we love him to pieces!

#2 Ukmumma

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for sharing sounded like my 2 nd  sons birth, glad all turned out well, fingers crossed for number 5 for you x

Edited by Ukmumma, 23 December 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#3 Lifesgood

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

Congratulations OP, and that was a beautifully written birth story. Glad all has turned out well for you and your baby, it must have been quite a shock happening that quickly, not to mention incredibly painful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.