Reading Challenge 2015

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#1 Ianthe

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Welcome to the EB reading challenge. Just set yourself a goal of how many books you would like to read throughout next year and post it here. I will update the first post as people join in. Then as the year goes on you can keep track in the thread by listing what you have read. No rules, whatever you want to add to your count is fine (graphic novels/YA books/novellas).

All welcome!

So current list is

27plus 26
71Cath 28
ali27 30
Aspiring2BaGiraffe 8
Astrocyte 26
babynoah2309 52
ballogo 26
Bonnie Cate 50
Booklover 52
BrownEyedGirl 26
Bunsen the Feral 12
Cardamom 26
claptrap 30
CupofCoffee 20
EsmeLennox 20
Feral Alpacas 52
Feral_is_me 12
Feralishous 52
Feral_Faylie 18
Fire_fly 52
Flowermama 60
Frau Farbissina 5
gemgirl 26
Genabee 26
Hannah Henrietta 20
HollyShiftwell 96
Ianthe 70
Illiterati 40-50
Itchy_Witch 52
jojonbeanie-participating
K2010 30
KimDeal 26
Let It Rain 52
littleboysmum 24
Loubee 26
Loz07 12
meh 21
melaine 52
meljbau 12
Monet 25
mychubbybubbies 250
Niggles-participating
ninadf 20
NunsoFeral 30
omongomong-participating
Peevish 20
Peppery 30
Phoebo 26
Pssst 6
Raven74 156
RedBob 15
rowd 26
rua 30
Seayork2002 52
SlinkyMalinki 42
Soda Club 2
Strawberry 22
tigerlily1 25
tikvah-participating
two_ones 30
whelmed 40

Edited by Ianthe, 14 January 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#2 Ianthe

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

I have read over 100 books the past two years but next year will be very different for me so I am setting a goal of 70 books.

Disclaimer-I do read very fast so that is why I can read as many books as I do. I don't want my number to put people off. If your goal is 6 books then that is great.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

Thank you - what a great idea!

I would say 52 - but I say this every years and lose count - so this thread may keep me organized

I have about 8 from the library (I live next door! so try and go all the time as it is a great way to find new authors as I just walk around and look at their displays)

#4 Bob-the-skull

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

I am in... I love to read and also listen to audio books.

At the moment I am almost finished book 7 of the dresden files so will be up to book 8 by the new year.

So read book 8 to 15 of the dresden files. Plus book 16 when its released.

Proven Guilty
White Night

Small Favour
Turn Coat
Changes
Ghost Story
Cold Days
Skin Game
Peace talks - providing its released.

Codex Alera Series - By Jim Butcher

Furies of Calderon
Academ's Fury
Cursor's Fury
Princep's Fury
First Lord's Fury

Re-listen to the Percy Jackson series - 5 smallish books

The lightning thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Last Olympian

Re-listen to the first 2 books of the heroes of olympus

The Lost Hero
The Son of Neptune

Listen to the last 3 books of heroes of olympus

The Mark of Athena
The House of Hades
The Blood of Olympus

Start to read the first 2 at least of the wheel of time series (I WILL GET THROUGH THIS DAMN SERIES!!!!)

The Eye of the World
The Great Hunt

Edited by Bob-the-skull, 08 April 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#5 Ianthe

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Oh I love that you have listed the books you want to read meh.

#6 71Cath

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

I think I would like to aim for one book per fortnight - so 26 for me.  Anything over that is a bonus.

Now I need to go and think about what I would like to read...excuse me a minute while I hop over to Book Depository...

#7 Bob-the-skull

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostIanthe, on 23 December 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Oh I love that you have listed the books you want to read meh.

I have a plan... I am also having a baby next year so audio books are my best friend for those late night feeds!!!!

I suspect there will be more added... the wheel of time has been a thorn in my reading foot for a long time because I can get to about book 7 and then I can't seem to get any further and I want to finish that damn series.

Same with the heroes of olympus series - I started them this year and got distracted and haven't gone back. I must complete!

#8 niggles

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

I have no particular goal but like the idea of sharing what we are reading. I have a shamefully neglected blog for this purpose. Maybe I can get that going again too.

I'm reading 1Q84 and don't expect to finish til 2015 so that'll be my first.

#9 Tikvah

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

I read too fast and have to learn to slow down, so this is a bad idea for me - perhaps I can plan to restrict how many books I read a week? I have read 6 this week so far.

#10 Illiterati

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

I tend to move between binge reading for a couple of months then not reading much at all for months.

I think I'll set my goal to 40-50 (for pleasure, not work) for the year.

#11 monet

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

I'd love to join in.  Setting 25 as my goal.

#12 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

I'm in! I love books - but my reading post children has been woeful. I have no excuse - if it weren't for this thread I suspect they'd be graduating from uni and I would still be moaning "oh but it's so *hard* to concentrate with the little ones around" ...

Don't want to over promise and under deliver ...I'm setting 20 as my goal....

#13 ballogo

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

I'm in. I love to read and can sometimes read a book a day in school holidays and then go for weeks during school term withoug reading anything. Having the ebook library is fantastic.

Hmmmm... I really don't know what goal to set. Perhaps 26+. Do we include trash that we read to escape?

#14 ComradeBob

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

I pledge to read at least 15 NEW books. Books  I have never read before.

I read constantly, but all to frequently fall back on old favourites that I have read time and time again, sometimes going back decades. I need to expand :)

#15 Ianthe

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

View Postballogo, on 23 December 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hmmmm... I really don't know what goal to set. Perhaps 26+. Do we include trash that we read to escape?

Absolutely!

#16 Soda Club

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

deleted.

Edited by Soda Club, 30 January 2016 - 05:05 AM.

#17 loubee

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

I'm in. I'm going with 26 starting with:
The Secret History, Donna Tartt (reading now so won't count unless i finish in NY)
Eyrie, Tim Winton
The Childrens Act, Ian McEwan
StoneMattress, Margaret Atwood and
Us, David Nicholson

I will also commit to some biographies which I never normally read.

#18 Ianthe

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostRedBob, on 23 December 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I read constantly, but all to frequently fall back on old favourites that I have read time and time again, sometimes going back decades. I need to expand :)

Well I can guarantee on my list will be North and South, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre because I do re read them most years.

#19 ComradeBob

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Right so, I've never read North and South. That's on my list :)

#20 71Cath

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostTikvah, on 23 December 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I read too fast and have to learn to slow down, so this is a bad idea for me - perhaps I can plan to restrict how many books I read a week? I have read 6 this week so far.
6 in a week??!!  Wow!

My list starts with some trash.  I read "Dark Witch" by Nora Roberts earlier this week and loved it, so now I want to read the other 2 in the series.

My boss has recommended The great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly, so I will spend my dymocks voucher after Christmas.

#21 EsmeLennox

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Premier's Reading Challenge and I was going whinge that it's been axed in WA...

I'll join, but I'm going to be conservative in my goal because despite being willing to read copiously I don't seem to have the time. Can I include books that I have to read for work? I have a few of those ATM!

I will say I'm going to read 20.
And I'm going to cheat a bit and include the one I'm reading now because I doubt I'll finish it before the new year. I've just started The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul which is a book I have been meaning to read for years but not gotten around to.

So:
1. The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul

And then probably The Ark by Annabel Smith and The 100 year old man who climbed out the window by Jonas Jonassen

Edited by EsmeLennox, 24 December 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#22 ~strawberry~

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

I'll join in. I haven't read as much the past few years and I'd like to get back into reading more. I read a mix of trashy crime novels and biographies most, and have heaps of books sitting on the bookshelf that it would be good to get though.

Because I mainly read longer books, I'll set a goal of 20 and see how I go!

#23 Ianthe

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Set up list up to this point. My kindle has been playing silly buggers but I got a new one for Christmas so I am set.

Anyone else wanting to join then just post here :)

#24 omongomong

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'd love to join - same as tivkah and niggles. No goal but joining for literary loving. I read so much but lose track.

How does this work, will I just keep coming back and editing this post to add each finished book?

My first book will be Woman on the bus by Pauline mclynn because it was recommend in another thread.

#25 Fire_fly

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

I would love to join in. I am going for 1 new book a week so 52 over the next 12 months.

I will update with my list shortly :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.