Reading Challenge 2015

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#26 Astrocyte

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

I would love to join. Absolutely love reading and I got a kindle for Christmas which will further my obsession with reading. My goal is to read at least 26 books. This year I've read 20 but brought many many many more than that.

Edited by Astrocyte, 25 December 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#27 gemgirl

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

I am planning more than 26, which is what I aim for most years (pre kids it was always 52 or more)

I really like this challenge: https://jennyinnever...ding-challenge/
for particular types of books to read

#28 Hannah Henrietta

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

I'd love to join - I'll set 20 as my goal.

#29 ballogo

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

Well I've now finished 3 books. (School holidays so I read a lot).

2 romantic comedies - books for some light entertainment - "The Nanny" and "Acting Up". The author's story is more interesting than the books - she unfortunatley died from cancer.  There'a literary award named after her - Melissa Nathan.

I then read a juvenile fiction "Moon over Manifest" by Clare Vanderpool. I recommend it to anyone. I'm not sure why it's labelled "juvenile" except that the main character is 12 years old. It's well written with an intriguing plot. There are interesting characters and it's historical - based in the US, and covers world war I, immigration, prohibition, and the spanish flu.h

Now off to try an Isaac Asimov for the first time.

#30 K2010

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

I would love to join .... I will set my goal at 30 books :))
I read and buy a mix of books and ebooks on my Kindle and phone and have a habit of buying way more than I have time to read :))

#31 ballogo

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

Finished Asimov's Nightfall - I think it's the first Asimov I've ever read. It kept me engaged from beginning to end. But was similar in some ways to Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham) - end of the world, key characters, different societies emerge and struggle for power etc. But set in an alternate universe.

So I think I'm now 4/26. Got to get ahead whilst it's holidays.

#32 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

Count me in too, I used to read all the time but post kids I hardly ever pick up a book :(

I'm aiming for 12 - one a month but hopefully I'll do better.

Starting with Look Who's Back, I've read the first couple of chapters then got sidetracked so will pick it up again.

#33 CupOfCoffee

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

I would love to join.  I will put me down for 20 books.  (I only really get a chance on the train to and from work.

I would also love some recommendations of good books from others.  I walk into book stores and I never know what to pick.

I like most types of books (except romance).

#34 two_ones

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

I would love to join in too. I will aim for 30 so just over one per fortnight.

Must get my new kindle set up. I got one for Christmas to replace mine that died a few months ago. I was in the middle of reading Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty so I will restart that one as my first.

#35 Ianthe

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

Updated to this point.

#36 71Cath

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

Are we starting now? Or do I have to wait until Thursday?

#37 pili-pala

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

I am in.

Aiming for 12 new books, mixing up so self improvement type (I want to read covey), some factual history, a couple of autobiography, a classic and find a new series or fiction author. I generally just re read the same lot of books over and over So I will take this challenge as a way to broaden my horizons and get me out of my comfort zone. Recommendations welcome!

#38 Weirdly Sane

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

Put me down for 30.

#39 Pssst...

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'm in too! I've been reading the same book for a year! Usually the only time I get to read is just before bed and I'm so knackered I crash out most nights.

But I've been making a big effort to finish the current one off so I can start on something new.

Put me down for 6.

I won't put a specific list down - I have far more than 6 on my wish list!!

#40 ~strawberry~

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

If we've started already then I'm 1/20. Don't judge me, I've polished off a Dan Brown this week. Now into The People Smuggler which I am loving, though some of it was very graphic and difficult to read.

#41 Ianthe

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

Updated to here.

I don't think it matters if people want to start counting. I am a pedantic Virgo so I probably won't start until the first ;)

#42 loubee

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

I'm starting the 1st as well,  or on a technicality will start from the first book i finish in 2015.

#43 Loz07

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

Oooh, count me in. I am partway through two books at the moment and haven't touched either in a month. With a toddler and baby I don't get to read until they are asleep and I am tired.

I think one a month would be doable (that sounds pitiful when I think that I read all harry potter in a week :( )

The list so far
Finish The Crown Imperilled and The Rise of the Governor (a walking dead book)
Read the finale to The Crown Imperilled
The Messenger (SS from last year)
It Started in Paris (gift this year)
Th Wolf Gift (bought it ages ago)

Will take any recommendations :) Especially good, free kindle books

I am also going to try and read some bible - I have only ever read about 3 chapters

#44 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostIanthe, on 28 December 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

Updated to here.

I don't think it matters if people want to start counting. I am a pedantic Virgo so I probably won't start until the first ;)
I'm an unpedantic two faced Gemini, but I am a lawyer, and we're sticklers for detail....so I won't start counting until the 1st either...

#45 27plus

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

I'll join too!  I probably average one a fortnight so 26 for me.

And this thread will also help me keep track of what I have read (I am terrible at remembering the titles of books!) though I do remember the content/story.

#46 littleboysmum

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'm going to aim for 24, though I usually read more than this. I also have other goals for the new year so am trying to be conservative in my estimate.

#47 jojonbeanie

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'll happily join in but I have no target.

Today I started Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey. I had meant to read it ages ago for book club but missed a few months so being on holiday is the ideal time to catch up.

#48 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

I'm in! I set myself a goal of twenty this year and reached it pretty easily. I'm going to challenge myself to read forty books. I've got a preschooler and a toddler and am mostly reading at night on my kindle sometimes only a few pages when I'm tired. I'm a fast reader though so forty should be do-able for me. I

I'll start counting January 1st, it feels neater that way.

#49 71Cath

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

I'm torn! I want to start on 1 January, but I have finished 2 books this week, and am majorly impressed with myself. Obviously work gets in the way of my reading time.

#50 Dirtsa

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'll join! For the last few years I have really slowed down on the reading front. Sticking mainly to avfew autobiographies. I started a few fiction books but gave up on most as I wasn't enjoying them. I have just started reading Dust, the third in a series I have enjoyed, so I'm sure I'll stick this one out! I'm going to set myself a realistic goal of 5, and try to make wiser choices!

eta - if I get a reading light that doesn't disturb dh late at night or succumb to reading on my kindle app. I'm sure I'll surpass 5!

Edited by Frau Farbissina, 28 December 2014 - 08:51 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.