Reading Challenge 2015

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#51 ballogo

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

Oh silly me... I started counting! Sorry everyone.  I guess as a teacher I feel that I'm done with the year! But happy to start counting 1st Jan.

To the PP re: Jaspet Jones.  Fantastic book. I hope you enjoy it.

#52 ~strawberry~

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

I finished another book today, so 2/20 but maybe I should lift my goal to 22 so my two books count and also don't count?!

Undecided what to start next, either a long heavy book or quick light read... Might look at the bookshelf and see if I can find an in between option.

#53 Fire_fly

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

Here is my pile of books I received for Christmas minus Lena Dunhams Not that kind of girl which is currently on my night stand.
So that should keep me going for the first little while and I will be following what everyone else is reading to pick up some more gems

Eta pics upside down sorry no idea how to fix it from my phone

Attached Files

Edited by Fire_fly, 29 December 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#54 71Cath

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

Fire fly, I need your book pile!

#55 Ianthe

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

Updated to here.

For anyone that is on holidays feel free to start counting!

#56 Ianthe

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

So I am not counting yet but over the past week I have read Emma by Alexander McCall Smith which I loved (see The Jane Austen Project thread in this forum for more information. Also read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. The movie was on the other night and I enjoyed it and then read the book, very backwards for me but I loved both the movie and the book.

Currently reading The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning which I am really enjoying and haven't started any but have downloaded three books by Michaela MacColl who write historical fiction-Queen Victoria, Emily Bronte and Emily Dickinson feature in the ones I've downloaded.

#57 Phoebo

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

I'm in. I'm setting my goal at 26 but hope to read more. I had a higher goal this last year and found that towards the end I was choosing shorter books in order to meet it. I usually prefer to read long books so I'm going to lower it for next year.

#58 Ianthe

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

Updated.

#59 ~strawberry~

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Ianthe, could you please change my goal to 22. Thank you, and also thank you so much for organising the challenge!

#60 Ianthe

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Done strawberry.

#61 meljbau

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'd love to join. I hope I can read 12 and anything beyond that will be a bonus.

#62 Bob-the-skull

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have started purely because I couldn't possibly wait til the new year to start the next book!

#63 monet

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

I've just finished Half the Sky but won't start counting til 1st. Have a week away from 2nd so should get through a few I hope.

#64 KimDeal

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'd love to join in, put me down for 26.

#65 ballogo

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostIanthe, on 29 December 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Also read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. The movie was on the other night and I enjoyed it and then read the book, very backwards for me but I loved both the movie and the book.

I saw this the other night. Did watching it before reading spoil it? I have read lots about WWII so found the movie interesting but not detailed enough to really fill out the story.

I finshed another Jodi Piccoult "Sing Me Home"
. Took ages to get into it and the plot was interesting, but her endings are becoming predictable.

#66 Ianthe

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

ballogo the movie was very close to the book. Obviously I knew the spoilers but I still enjoyed the book. In fact I would say it is one time when the movie did the book justice. It's very rare for me to watch a movie before I 've read the book but I sat down the other night and it was about to start.

#67 Peppery

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

I would love to join in as well. I am setting my goal at 30 books.

#68 raven74

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Ok I'm in.  I'm aiming for three books a week.  156 books.

What an excellent challenge!

#69 BeAwesome

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

I read solidly this year, and have finished 42 books.  I think in the last 5 years, I finished maybe a dozen, so I'm happy to keep set this as my goal again for next year.

#70 Ianthe

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

Updated.

#71 27plus

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

So how do we do this? Apologies if this has been asked but there are so many opting in :)

Do we list the books with name and author?

Short review?

#72 Booklooker

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:24 AM

Me! I started my own halfway through last year and this year I had already planned on 52+. It's hard to judge as I might go weeks and weeks without reading but then 'binge' and read 5+ in a week.

Happy medium = 52 but hoping for more as I'm starting from now.

1/52

#73 Ianthe

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:39 AM

27plus-however you like. You can link to a synopsis or sum it up yourself. You can say as much or as little as you like. Name and author is good though :)

#74 Ianthe

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:41 AM

Added you Booklover-fitting name!

#75 ~strawberry~

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thank Ianthe :)

So I had a win last night that I thought I'd share...

I was reading book reviews of the "best" books of 2014. I picked three out that sounded really interesting. Googled the first and saw it for sale with a different cover which looked similar to the spine of a book on my bookshelf. Checked my bookshelf and yep, I already have the book!!! Win! We have a family friend that passes on books and it was in the last lot from her that I hadn't looked at closely yet! For those playing at home, the book is All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.