Virtual assistants

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hi All

Does anyone use a virtual assistant, or maybe is one? I've been running my own business for 6 months, and it's really taking off, but oh my goodness I need some help. I was looking at some of the overseas ones ($8 an hour is pretty attractive!) but am I just opening myself up to issues?

Any experiences anyone wants to share? Or recommendations?

Thanks
Escapin

#2 PuddingandPies

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

Hi - haven't used one but have a friend who does.  Sole trader film business.  He uses a girl in Manila.  Only issue he had was the training and teaching her a bit of initiative. Though feedback is she's great as managing his schedule and responding to clients.

Good luck.

#3 LenaK

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

Hi OP
What kind of assisting do you need? What kind of business is it?

#4 Billy Shears

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

I have heard great things about adminworthy.com.au

#5 Sancti-claws

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

I used to do it - until my clients got me to train their $8 an hour VAs in the Philippines.

#6 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

Thanks all. DF, that must have been awful.

I have a small consulting business and I'm also building an app. Have only been going 6 months, and have too much work and not enough time. My diary management is just terrible, I need to set up a newsletter, put heaps of business cards into my CRM, just basic stuff like that.

#7 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:35 AM

A Claytons Secretary is a group that I used to work through - a lot of great VA's with a wide variety of experience there.

#8 MakeItHappen

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

I would love to be a virtual assistant with loads admin background. How do you even find work as one? Are there sites I can sign up with?

#9 darcswan

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

DH has an assistant in the Phillipines (sourced through my virtual coworker) to manage his diary and do some basic data entry stuff.  
It takes a little while to get into the groove (she was very efficiently scheduling in meetings back to back, every day...) and learn who is 'drop everything for this person' and who isn't... But he's perfectly happy and no longer spends hours trying to resolve schedule conflicts.

#10 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

She So Toot, yes, there are quite a few around that you can sign up to. Just google Virtual Assistant. Or if you are in Sydney, PM and let's talk :)

#11 Tokra

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

I am a virtual assistant and I am through A Clayton's Secretary.

You can go through their website and put in a job enquiry.

As much as I understand the need to save money and business is business etc, I personally would not use someone from overseas just because they are cheap.

The virtual assistant industry is not always easy to crack into and I prefer to keep the work here to be honest.

That is just my person opinion for my situation though. I don't begrudge anyone else their own opinion.

#12 Franny and Zooey

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

I have a VA from the Philippines, they are pretty fantastic and do a great job.  I interviewed some via Skype recommend by the agency mentioned above first.  At $2.50 per hour it's very affordable.

#13 ~~~

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

What Tiger Lilly said ;) Another Australian VA network is Virtually Yours :)

For the kind of work you are looking for help with, you'd probably be looking at at least $30/hr.  Worth it though :) PM me and I can send you some links :)

#14 MakeItHappen

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Sorry Escapen I'm in Vic :(
I Will have a look online though!

#15 Jembo

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:39 PM

Shes so Toot - I do it as a little side in between other stuff.    I just set up as a business and googled heaps on VA's to get a bit of an idea of what to do.

I used word of mouth where I live and do a heap of work for a variety of small businesses in my area.  I just started by contacting one I knew and sent them my documents of what I was doing and it went from there.   I do a variety of things from databases, typing up documents, newsletters, managing social media, uploading products to websites etc.

All the businesses I do it for are small businesses (shops, fitness ones, a yoga place, a health place, photography business etc) and I do it on as as needs basis for them and for me everything is word of mouth, they tend to pass on my details to their friends also in business.

Doing similar in your area, might be a good way to start.  I know I find where I live, there are lots of businesses who are wanting a bit of extra help but not with a long term commitment or employee.

Sorry no help to origianal post :)

#16 ForTheLoveOfCats

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

I have been getting these emails in my inbox asking if I was interested. Apparently they got my email through seek. I thought they were just spam. I'm in Sydney and looking at getting back into some work.
Might pay more attention to the next email that comes through lol.

#17 MakeItHappen

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Jembo, word of mouth prob is a good way to go in my area too. I'm just worried if I advertise myself to do this then they will ask me to do something  not entirely sure of how to! I guess I could put on gumtree etc and lost the basic things I can do and progress from there?

#18 MakeItHappen

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

Jembo did you have particular software u use?

#19 Jupiter123

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

I do pretty much the same as Jembo.

All the work I do is by word of mouth, and it is mostly data entry, editing of documents etc.

#20 klr75

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostHarperLeeAndMe, on 01 February 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

At $2.50 per hour it's very affordable.

is that even legal ??

#21 Jane Jetson

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostHarperLeeAndMe, on 01 February 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

I have a VA from the Philippines, they are pretty fantastic and do a great job.  I interviewed some via Skype recommend by the agency mentioned above first.  At $2.50 per hour it's very affordable.

You're exploiting someone for $2.50 an hour? That's appalling.

#22 MakeItHappen

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

What about you Jupiter do u use software ?
I think that's all I'd want to start with, simple things as I've not been a PA before just admin assistant and have some knowledge in bookkeeping.
What's a good start rate to charge? Also so you need insurance for this type of thing?

Edited by She So Toot, 22 April 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#23 Jupiter123

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostShe So Toot, on 22 April 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

What about you Jupiter do u use software ?
I think that's all I'd want to start with, simple things as I've not been a PA before just admin assistant and have some knowledge in bookkeeping.
What's a good start rate to charge? Also so you need insurance for this type of thing?

My current one for example is editing Workplace Health and Safety Documents. For that I just use my email to correspond with the client and Microsoft Office for the actual data editing. Drop Box is used for the exchange of documents. But most of my work is performed for very small businesses that don't actually have servers and vpn/remote access connections set up.

My fees vary. Rather than an hourly cost I work on how much work is required and charge accordingly.

#24 Jembo

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Jembo did you have particular software u use?

I am the same as Jupiter123.  Main things I use are excel and word.  I also use photoshop a bit as I sometimes do things for people they want to use on social media (such as covers, or if they are having a promo and they want a dedicated picture to use.

Communication is email and large documents via Dropbox.  Newsletters depends on what they want to use (usually Mailchimp, Constant Contact Etc, all based online).

Mine are very small business and most are not computer savy. For instance currenly doing something for a fashion store run by the owner, no employees.  I will even sometimes drop in and pick stuff up from them as it is possible where I live on USB etc.

My fees also vary, some things are charged hourly, and some just on a job.

I have spreadsheets set up for my end to record time, invoices and my bookkeeping side.

#25 MakeItHappen

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

That all sounds very doable, might be a good option for me. I don't have an Abn so would need one of those first. Might look at other assistant ads to see how they promote themselves also.
Thanks for all the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.