Virtual assistants

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 MakeItHappen

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Do either of you have insurance?
Or is it more of a hobby business to require it?

#27 Jembo

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

I don't, no one comes to my house and the work I do is fairly simple.  It might be required for some depending what they do, but what I do is pretty straight forward and client checks all work for any errors etc.

#28 MarigoldMadge

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

I've been thinking about this, I'm just plodding along in a BA role 3 days a week - don't want to commit to more fixed office hours, so was thinking about little jobs for companies.

I'm highly skilled in Excel, Access,VBA code, and I've doing free jobs for a while now for friends and family.

e.g. set up database with invoice output for my friends self employed builder husband.
Overhauled the database for toys and members and borrowing for our local toy library.
Set up a database for membership and history of fundraising for a local community group
Set up word templates for my mum's Rostrum club and so on.

Thanks for all the tips, might keep investigating - these things about were fun and happy to help out, but it was time consuming for no pay.

#29 MakeItHappen

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Marigoldmadge sounds like u already are a VA! U should def start charging and source new clients ! Let me know how u go! I think I've decided I want to start a homebased business combing VA and personal budgeting. I am going to research and bring my skills up to dates while creating a business plan over the next 6 months or so until we move house, hopefully by the end of year then open shop!

#30 MarigoldMadge

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

You reminded me - I wrote my own budget program in Excel, and have given copies to my friends to use.

Should look at that too... I work in banking IT and so many times I almost want to ring the bank customers to ask them do they realise you could save some money if you changed behaviours, or products???!

Good luck to you to, She So Toot!

#31 Jembo

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

MarigoldMadge, that is exactly how I started, was already doing things for friends etc when another friend suggested I start charging.

Mine is not my primary income, it is just something I do that supplements my other job.  It is still run as a business (ABN, registered etc).  I do it around everything else I do,

#32 Sancti-claws

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostShe So Toot, on 22 April 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Or is it more of a hobby business to require it?

When I was doing it, I had insurance - it isn't exhorbitant (especially if you don't have clients come to your home/office) and required if you work through a network.

#33 MakeItHappen

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

If I was to get insurance what Type am I looking at? Don't know much about that side of business..

Edited by She So Toot, 23 April 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#34 Franny and Zooey

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the concern however $2.50 per hour US equates to $25 per day which sees my VA earning more than double the Philippines minimum wage, plus bonuses.  Amazing how people don't understand the concept of exchange rates!

If you are a small business it certainly makes sense to use a VA locates off shore.  As parochial as people seem to be you can certainly building great working relationships with someone in another country.

#35 Sancti-claws

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostHarperLeeAndMe, on 23 April 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for the concern however $2.50 per hour US equates to $25 per day which sees my VA earning more than double the Philippines minimum wage, plus bonuses.  Amazing how people don't understand the concept of exchange rates!

So for those of us too "DUMB" to understand exchange rates, I will do the maths.

$25 US converts to $32.14 AUD - divided by the $2.50 per hour means she has to work a 13 hour day.

Oh no, wait, you do it through an agent, so assuming the agent ONLY takes say 10%, that means that the amount she has to earn to receive the princely sum of $25 US would be $27.50 US total, which is $35.36 Australian cost to you, which is just a smidge over 14 hours a day work required.

Sorry, which bit of that doesn't read exploitation?

I SO agree, for businesses that don't have any ethical decisions required for its bottom line, it is all cream and profit when you don't have to pay a local...

Edited by Sancti-mummy, 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#36 Tokra

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostCatMumma, on 20 April 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

I have been getting these emails in my inbox asking if I was interested. Apparently they got my email through seek. I thought they were just spam. I'm in Sydney and looking at getting back into some work.
Might pay more attention to the next email that comes through lol.
They usually are spam so don't engage!

There is a lot of good Facebook groups and good companies around that can give you advice. Kathie from A Clayton's Secretary is great for information, even if you don't join.

I have found engaging with other VA's and doing sub-contract work them is very helpful in learning how to be a VA.

I love the fact that I get to choose my work and do it around the kids.

Let's see how that works out when this little munchkin pops out haha.

#37 Jane Jetson

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostHarperLeeAndMe, on 23 April 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Amazing how people don't understand the concept of exchange rates!

It's somewhat more amazing how people don't understand the wider economic impact of their decisions.

Edited by Jane Jetson, 24 April 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#38 mum2345

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostSancti-mummy, on 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

So for those of us too "DUMB" to understand exchange rates, I will do the maths.

$25 US converts to $32.14 AUD - divided by the $2.50 per hour means she has to work a 13 hour day.

Oh no, wait, you do it through an agent, so assuming the agent ONLY takes say 10%, that means that the amount she has to earn to receive the princely sum of $25 US would be $27.50 US total, which is $35.36 Australian cost to you, which is just a smidge over 14 hours a day work required.

Sorry, which bit of that doesn't read exploitation?

It would be exploitation if the PP had kidnapped the VA and made him/her work under duress.

Assuming that's not the case, the PP's VA has agreed to work for $2.50 per hour with his/her free will.

And as the PP mentioned, this is more than double the Philippines minimum wage.  How can it be exploitation if she's paying above market rates?

#39 Sancti-claws

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

View Postmum2345, on 24 April 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

It would be exploitation if the PP had kidnapped the VA and made him/her work under duress.

Assuming that's not the case, the PP's VA has agreed to work for $2.50 per hour with his/her free will.

And as the PP mentioned, this is more than double the Philippines minimum wage.  How can it be exploitation if she's paying above market rates?

Which bit of the 14 hour work day isn't understood?  But hey, if it is expected to work over 14 hours days in other countries, then that is totes okay, I get your logic.  Doesn't make it "okay" in my books, but I get what you are saying.

#40 mum2345

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostSancti-mummy, on 24 April 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

Which bit of the 14 hour work day isn't understood?  But hey, if it is expected to work over 14 hours days in other countries, then that is totes okay, I get your logic.  Doesn't make it "okay" in my books, but I get what you are saying.

The PP didn't explicitly state that her VA is working 14 hours a day - you've come to this conclusion from her wording of "equates to $25 per day".

Even if the VA does work 14 hours a day - that is their choice they have entered into with their free will.

Just like an investment banker who is expected to work 14 hours a day.  It's a choice, not exploitation.

#41 coates

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

Free will in a developing nation like the Philipines isn't quite the same as one in a developed nation like Australia.....

and the comparison to an investment banker...oh....please....

#42 mum2345

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

View Postcoates, on 24 April 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Free will in a developing nation like the Philipines isn't quite the same as one in a developed nation like Australia.....

In the labour market, how is it different?

#43 coates

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

mum 2345 I just don't have the time to engage in a debate about the international labour market sorry...am off to my daughters Anzac day assembly.  

but have a  think about the choices you and I have in Australia a nation with a welfare system and  minimum wage protection vs someone in a  developed nation where there are no such protections...

the debate is probably more sophisticated than I can offer, but doesn't paying someone $2.50/hour  just seem a little off to you??

#44 mum2345

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

View Postcoates, on 24 April 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

but have a  think about the choices you and I have in Australia a nation with a welfare system and  minimum wage protection vs someone in a  developed nation where there are no such protections...

the debate is probably more sophisticated than I can offer, but doesn't paying someone $2.50/hour  just seem a little off to you??

I appreciate that $2.50 an hour may be shocking for Australians.  But no, I don't think it is "off".

Suppose I have some admin work that I would like to outsource.  The most I am willing to pay is $3.00 an hour, because (a) the work is easy to do and I can listen to music while I do it and (b) if I get someone else to do it, then I have all the hassle that comes with being an employer - providing instruction to the VA, quality control, etc.

Suppose a VA is willing to do the work for $2.60 an hour.  (It could even be the PP's VA, who is looking for a higher wage).  I employ that VA at a rate of $2.95 an hour, and he/she is happy, earning more than 10% above their desired wage.  I am happy, because I am paying less than I wanted to.  In this situation, both the VA and I are happy with the outcome.  

If it was mandatory to pay $4 or more an hour, then the VA would not have the job, (unemployment higher in the Philippines) I'd have to do the work myself (less family time for me). We'd both be worse off.

What this discussion probably comes down to is your attitude towards minimum wages.  Minimum wages are great for the people who have jobs that pay the minimum wage, but they create unemployment for people who would freely work for less money.

Edited by mum2345, 24 April 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#45 Jane Jetson

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

Offshoring, whether it's done by large international corporations or individuals who feel that they only have $3 an hour to spend so who cares about their employee's quality of life, nobbles local industry because it's not true investment, it's simply a cynical exploitation of the workers while leaving no infrastructure or assets for that community. It helps keep wages and thus quality of life low in these exploited countries.

It also nobbles industry (whether manufacturing or other services such as VA work) in the offshorer's own country, by sending jobs out of that country and thus driving down wages for people there, too.

In short, everybody loses apart from the person or business who feels they shouldn't be expected to remunerate another human being in a decent manner.

Does your $2.50/hour VA get holiday, sick and carer pay, PP?

#46 wallofdodo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

I just struggle with the fact that someone's time here in Australia is valued at say 25 dollars an hour (I have no real idea of what VAs charge just pulling a figure out) yet someone overseas doing the same work is only valued at $2.50.

Regardless of exchange rates and economies it just doesn't seem ethical to me.

#47 seayork2002

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

To me if I am based in the Philippines, France, Canada, Chile, Egypt or Australia I pay the going rate of the country in the currency I am am living with - otherwise it makes no sense to me.

So I in Aus it is $25AUD per hour then I would pay that if they were in China or the US or Namibia!

Edited by seayork2002, 24 April 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#48 Chocolate Addict

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

Regarding insurance - you would need to insure all the '' office equipment' ie computer, printer etcanything you use for the business.
It may not be covered in home and contents insurance if  they know/discover you are running a business.

I have full business insurance (am not a VA) and the insurance company I have my home/contents with has it noted on file that I run a business out of my home.

Who knew VA's were the sweat shop of the Phillipines.

Is she getting $2.50 an hour or a day?

#49 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

View PostJane Jetson, on 22 April 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

You're exploiting someone for $2.50 an hour? That's appalling.

Ah, so the $8 was ok but the $2.50 not. What exactly is the threshold for "you're exploiting!" vs not? Both are below our local minimum wage...

#50 Coffeegirl

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

Edited as I didn't phrase that correctly

Edited by Coffeegirl, 24 April 2015 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.