Virtual assistants

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Jane Jetson

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

No, $8 isn't okay either.

Since I've been criticising offshoring and exploitative pay rates in general, I fail to understand why you'd think I'd support it.

Edited by Jane Jetson, 24 April 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#52 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

No just wondering why the sudden outrage at $2.50 and not at $8.

#53 Jane Jetson

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

There was going to be outrage at a prospective $8, then the actual $2.50 cropped up and I narked off about that, probably because it's already happening.

#54 Charlies Angel

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

Interesting debate about off-shoring.

If we were in the Phillipines and our friend had established a business providing admin support to others overseas and was earning a good income doing so, we would probably say that they were entrepreneurial.

I think it is the way of the world - as we become more and more connected, it has provided new opportunities to those in other countries.

The key is to make sure that people are not being exploited - that they receive adequate compensation for their effort (so doing some homework to ensure that the price paid is not exploitive). And for Australians to keep developing new approaches, new ways of adding value.

You may not like it, but these are the challenges we face.

#55 SukieTawdry

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

Can I just add the cost of living in the Philippines is WAY below the cost of living in Australia. Is it OK that a Filipino can pay (AU$ equivalent) $350 a MONTH for a 3 bed home, or is that exploiting the landlord?

#56 South Coast

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

It would be awesome to get back on topic....

For those who are a VA :

What kind of hours do you do a week?
What were your start up costs?  Computer, programes etc
Do you have regular clients and if you do did it take a while for the relationship to build up?
Do you find a good need for VA's in your area?

Also, another question, would a VA with your own business pass the Centrelink work test for Maternity leave??

#57 MakeItHappen

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Baha thanks satay chicken and chocolate addict for answering my question about insurance.
Would we not need indemnity or liability insurance or anything alike? Would I Only need it for the office side of things?
I don think id be raking in the clients and on the big side of business but would some what want to cover my A$$ should do something wrong and it screws up clients.. Or do they check over your work after you have finished to find any potential mistakes?

Edited by She So Toot, 25 April 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#58 ~~~

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Toot - some clients do, some don't. I think I have a clause in my ts and cs about client responsibility to check my work etc

#59 darcswan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostSancti-mummy, on 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

I SO agree, for businesses that don't have any ethical decisions required for its bottom line, it is all cream and profit when you don't have to pay a local...

Have you ever run a small business?  Because that is hilarious. If a small business is making 'cream and profit', 9 out of 10 times they probably have a government contract.

The high cost of labour in Australia is absolutely ethical & a hard won right. But it is also out of reach of most small businesses. Why do you think entry level roles are disappearing?

#60 Sancti-claws

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

View Postdarcswan, on 27 April 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Have you ever run a small business?

Considering my small business was being a virtual assistant, consider me the dairy farmer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.