Let's pay off those credit cards! Buckle your swashes!

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

#26 DanceMom

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Joining this thread. In the last few months I have managed to get my credit card from $1500 to $500. Reduced the limit each time. Might not sound like a lot but to sole parent only on pension. I currently have just over $2000 of 'debt' which I want to get rid of (just over $1000 of that are Centrelink advances).

#27 Silverstreak

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Well done Overtherainbow and Feralicious, that is great!

Fleeting, sorry to hear about your car, that sucks!

We had to pay that business expense and also buy some new clothes and shoes for DS, so our debt has increased! I have paid off $1500 in the last couple of days, but our debt is still at $20,800! Bah humbug!

In better news, I have applied for a promotion at work and I'm also applying for a couple of graduate programs, so here's hoping we start making some headway soon! We are expecting some more money from the business in the next few weeks, so that will be handy.

Hope everyone else is doing okay!

#28 fleeting

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Car ended up being a very easy (and cheap) fix!!

Still plodding along trying to get used to hubby's fortnightly payments from his old monthly. It's luckily alternative weeks to me!

#29 Silverstreak

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

That's great news Fleeting!

#30 jdlady

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

I haven't been participating, but I wanted to celebrate with people who would understand. As of yesterday our credit card was down to just $110. I REALLY wish I could have afforded that last little bit but it just wasn't to happen! Looking forward to payday next Tuesday so I can wave goodbye to it! My credit card is starting to get frost bite from its time in the freezer, but its worked well for us!

We are however taking on a personal loan next week for a car, but at least we aren't taking that on while we have the credit card. And we will be able to pay that off in full when we sell our house later in the year.

#31 Silverstreak

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Well done JDlady, that is wonderful!

#32 fleeting

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

Well done!

I'm loving how much lower my minimum payments are getting and I'm trying to pay off what I already had been.

#33 mumto4boys

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:59 PM

So while I've paid off all my credit cards, it seems DH has been putting more and more on his.

I guess I did sort if know about this and turned a bit of a blind Eye to it, but it has reached a stage where it can't be ignored.

Can anyone give me any tips on a good interest free deal at the moment so he can at least start with an interest free balance transfer period?

Thanks

#34 fleeting

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

How is everyone going? I'm just proud that I haven't touched my cards for months now, still too scared to chop them up just in case but I have been lowering the limits!

#35 2_little_boys

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Crappy here.  We have been plodding but not getting very far.

Not long though and our personal loan will be paid off and what I have been paying on that will drop to a card.

On the upside I have had a Target card for many many years.

Its been considerably over limit for a long time but they didnt seem to care so neither did I and as long as I pain the minimum payment each month (which was next to nothing) they were happy.

Anyway I got the statement on Tuesday and nearly died. :(

Then last night I got home to a letter from them.  Had a little panic then read it.

They are actually doing a 1 off debt reduction payment to my account on my behalf to bring the balance back down to the credit limit!  That will be a huge chunk gone (think 2/3 of the balance :omg: :ph34r: )

So I plan to hit that hard and ditch it.  Then get back on my original mission.

#36 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

Wow 2LB, I have never heard of a credit provider doing that before.  What a lucky break for you!!

#37 fleeting

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

Oh wow that sounds awful 2LB! I've never heard of it also and it must come as a shock when it's out of the blue.

We don't have too much left on our loan either but will have to redraw a little bit cover our two car regos due april and may (and in vic you have no other choice but to pay the whole lot in one go)

#38 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

View Postfleeting, on 05 March 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Oh wow that sounds awful 2LB! I've never heard of it also and it must come as a shock when it's out of the blue.

We don't have too much left on our loan either but will have to redraw a little bit cover our two car regos due april and may (and in vic you have no other choice but to pay the whole lot in one go)

Awful?  A huge chunk is being taken off the debt for her?  It's great!!

#39 fleeting

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

I meant awful as in the shock...being unprepared for the bill!!

#40 DanceMom

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Slowly chipping away at my debt. Gotten it down from over $2000 to now around $1650 after this weeks pay. Hope to completely pay off my credit card by this time next month and cut it up!

#41 Silverstreak

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Well done Back2Feral! And wow, 2 little boys, that's amazing!

Well, we're slowly chipping away at the cards. DH is flat out at work and will be bringing in some good money, which is fantastic. No major expenses on the horizon, apart from car rego. Aiming to be at $18,000 by May. We'll see how we go! Hope everyone is going well!

#42 Silverstreak

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

Sorry, Mum to four boys, I just saw your post. Not sure of any current deals, but I just wanted to wish you luck!

#43 fleeting

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

We have our regos due to Silverstreak.  Hubby's in April and mine in May. But still happy to report that our cards are going down instead of steady or up!

#44 fleeting

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Ugh. Money getting tight. Bring on July!

#45 DanceMom

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Still slowly chipping away at my debt. Also putting away savings though as I need to show 4-6 months of savings for car loan. 2/3s of my 'debt' is just centrelink advances so no point in paying back early when I can have that money sitting in high interest account. Going to pay off the last $500 of my credit card tomorrow and cut it up / close down account. Am fairly excited at the prospect of having close to no debt so I can throw every extra dollar into savings and getting my dream car.

#46 Silverstreak

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

Oh well done Back2Feral, that is great news and good luck with getting your dream car!

#47 fleeting

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Well since according to my pay slips I have more than paid enough tax this financial year to pay of my hecs I'm getting it stopped from my pay. It will give me an extra 170 a f/n for bills. Not going to help me reduce in the meantime but it will help by not having to add.

#48 Silverstreak

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

That's fantastic Fleeting!

#49 fleeting

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

I've paid enough to even get extra back at tax time! Hubby was paying his for most of the year before we realised he paid it off last year!

#50 Silverstreak

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

Nice one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.