Melbourne - Seeking Doula

6 replies to this topic

#1 lobsterfish

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

Dear all,

My wife is due mid-March (1st baby) and she has recently moved from the Netherlands back home to Melbourne. Booked in at RWH.

The quality of antenatal care in the NL is very poor and as such, there have been some issues we are sorting through now, after not being told anything overseas by the midwives (ie: she is borderline severe anaemic, has had a couple of small bleeds in 3rd trimester which they didn't care about, is Rhesus -Ve but they were slow to give Anti-D after the bleed, etc).

I am stuck overseas until 2 weeks before due date and she is a bit frightened, at the moment. We would love an experienced, gentle and confident Doula who will help us out. Pregnancy has been fine, other than a few small hiccups. To be honest, we'd like someone who has had a great deal of experience and is leaning towards the western medicine side as opposed to alternative treatments. We are hoping for a natural birth, but who knows!

Can anyone suggest someone? Live in Carnegie but giving birth at the RWH.

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated. :-)

#2 MrsFrosty

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Try contacting "mama" it's a private midwifery practice. They have several locations around Melbourne. They have contacts for doulas, or you can have one of the midwives as your birth support.

http://midwivesandmothers.com.au

Good luck for your impending birth and parenthood! I gave birth at rwh last year and I can't recommend them enough!

#3 lucky 2

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

If you are going to the RWH you will likely find the mw's are the kind of health professionals you are looking for.
I don't know what you mean about the nl in terms of alternative but evidenced based practice is used here.
I'm not wanting to divert you from a doula but wanted to encourage you to get you wife to talk to the mws here and you might be pleasantly surprised. She will also receive obstetric care if she needs it in regards to any medical conditions, ie anemia.
The RWH is a tertiary hospital so has the capacity for the most simple or complex pregnancy and birth.
All the best.

Please use the private message system for specific recommendations as per the EB forum rules. Thanks.

#4 lobsterfish

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:14 AM

View Postlucky 2, on 26 January 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

If you are going to the RWH you will likely find the mw's are the kind of health professionals you are looking for.
I don't know what you mean about the nl in terms of alternative but evidenced based practice is used here.
I'm not wanting to divert you from a doula but wanted to encourage you to get you wife to talk to the mws here and you might be pleasantly surprised. She will also receive obstetric care if she needs it in regards to any medical conditions, ie anemia.

Thanks for your help. My wife is just a little bit nervous and was told that a Doula would be someone who'd be on her 'side', as opoosed to the midwives who are on that of the hospital. Not that they'd let anything happen to us, of course, its just for that added support from someone who knows what we want and is willing to help us acheive that.

And, it may eventuate that I am not there for the birth. I arrive on the 4th of March (cannot possibly be any earlier) and we are due on the 15th.

Also, because my wife has just arrived in Australia, we aren't able to have a dedicated midwife/cosmos; I think we just get whoever is there at the time of birth. Will probably be OK though and maybe we should just relax?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/contact details. I will do a bit of research today.

Edited by lobsterfish, 27 January 2015 - 05:18 AM.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Postlobsterfish, on 27 January 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

Thanks for your help. My wife is just a little bit nervous and was told that a Doula would be someone who'd be on her 'side', as opoosed to the midwives who are on that of the hospital.

It's unfortunate that someone has suggested this and put the seed of doubt into your minds.
The RWH midwives do care about the personal needs of each patient, they are on her side.....not the hospital's.

Of course there are hospital policies which are adhered to for the safety of baby and mum but the aim is for achieving the type of birth you want.
Remember a doula can not make medical decisions for your wife but it would be a good option to have one as a birth partner if you can't be there.

#6 Fright bat

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

OP, I get what you are talking about. After decades of pushing home birthing in the Netherlands, the Dutch have had to come face to face with accepting their incredibly high rates of birth related major complications. So there is now a more recent trend towards antenatal care and hospital birth for higher risk pregnancies. But the fact remains that a laid back attitude to antenatal care means that many higher risk women are not identified. Even the 18 week scan is seen as somewhat optional, and even nervous women who do not want a home birth may be told by their local hospital that they cannot deliver there. The Dutch attitude of 'do normal' means that requesting extra care is tut tutted.

OP, your wife will find the Royal Women's to be wonderful. The midwives and obstetrics team are a world away from Dutch practice. She will be monitored, she will be listened to, and they will try and give her the birth experience she wants. Of course there is nothing wrong in seeking an additional companion especially as there is a risk you won't be there for the birth. But Australian midwives practice a different sort of medicine to that in the Netherlands. I would encourage you and your wife to trust the midwives. I can promise you that they are advocates of the patient, not the 'hospital' or the 'system' and they will do all they can to have a healthy baby and healthy mum at the end.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Just a heads up, this thread was revived today (advertising) and it is 13 months old.
OP, I hope things went well for yourself and your wife. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.