Charged full fees on Australia Day

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Hello_Kitty

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

DD2 attends a FDC twice a week. One of her days fell on Australia Day and I was advised by the educator there would be no daycare that day, but full fees were payable.

I was (and still am) in shock. I have called fair trading and they stated if it's in the FDC's t & c's, then yes, we are liable for fees. If it's not stated then the educator doesn't have a leg to stand on.

DD2 started in September last year, and only a pamphlet was given regarding food etc - I don't recall there being a disclaimer about full fees on public holidays.

The invoice for this week has come through, and sure enough DD2's 'normal' Monday hours have been put in and charged for!

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Can you offer any advice?

TIA

#2 needs to get out

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

its pretty standard to pay for daycare on public holidays. Some organisations offer a discount, but I have dealt with three different daycare organisations, two charged normal fees for public holidays, our current one (took over our centre) gives a discount, but still charge.

#3 SnazzyFeral

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

That is normal. Think of it this way  your boss still pays you as though you are at work on a public holiday even when you aren't.

#4 Gumbette

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

Ours charged for public holidays as they still need to pay their staff.  They didn't charge during the Christmas close down though.  It would suck if you were a casual and didn't get paid on public holidays but still had to pay daycare fees.

#5 Hello_Kitty

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostSnazzyFeral, on 31 January 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

That is normal. Think of it this way  your boss still pays you as though you are at work on a public holiday even when you aren't.

I don't get paid unless I work a PH - neither does DH. So I will have to disagree there, sorry.

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

It's really common.
I think it's pretty messed up, it's like a hairdresser charging you on Australia day because you usually come on a Monday (but couldn't because they were closed on that day). Really it should not be charged and any costs incurred should be averaged out over the fees for everyone for the year. It sucks.

But it's pretty common, almost standard. It's why it's often way easier to get daycare on Mondays/Fridays, because of the number of public holidays that fall on them!

Our centre at least offers us a makeup day if they have a vacancy (i.e. if I need an extra day one week and it's available, they won't charge until I've done it more times than I've had public holidays I've paid for).

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

View PostGumbette, on 31 January 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

Ours charged for public holidays as they still need to pay their staff.  

If their staff are salaried, that cost should be split over the days they are open.
If their staff are casual, they are not paying them for that day.

#8 Hello_Kitty

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 31 January 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

It's really common.
I think it's pretty messed up, it's like a hairdresser charging you on Australia day because you usually come on a Monday (but couldn't because they were closed on that day). Really it should not be charged and any costs incurred should be averaged out over the fees for everyone for the year. It sucks.

But it's pretty common, almost standard. It's why it's often way easier to get daycare on Mondays/Fridays, because of the number of public holidays that fall on them!

Our centre at least offers us a makeup day if they have a vacancy (i.e. if I need an extra day one week and it's available, they won't charge until I've done it more times than I've had public holidays I've paid for).

You're right on the messed up bit! I have had a mum from the same FDC say she changed her son's day from Monday to Tuesday because of the PH's!

It's just made me angry as DH & I don't get paid if we don't work - should be the same across the board..

#9 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

Standard practice- 3.5 yrs of daycare, always had Monday, always paid normally for Aust Day, Labour Day, Queens Birthday, Easter Monday etc.

#10 White-Lily

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

Pretty standard as far as I know. We have always had to pay full fees for public holidays if they fall on our regular day.

#11 SnazzyFeral

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:22 AM

I know it sux but if you employed full time you get paid for public holidays. You are paying your carer to work full time, if you were paying  them to work casually then you wouldn't be able to have the same days each week. There are places that do take kids on a casual basis but they are normally more expencive in the same way that a casual hourly rate is higher than the fulltime rate to account for public holidays.

#12 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:46 AM

Our centre only charges the rebated amount for public holidays (so we pay zero gap)
One of the main reasons we chose the centre in the first place.

#13 opethmum

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:08 AM

Normal, sorry OP, one of those things that you have to suck it up and move on from. I feel your frustration, my 2 kids in 2013, scored all major holidays on their days in CC, so it was and expensive year.

#14 c.sanders

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:46 AM

For whatever reason u dont get paid PH the centre still needs to follow the law and pay their FT and PT staff. This is standard

#15 Overtherainbow

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostSnazzyFeral, on 31 January 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

I know where you're coming from but most centres operate from a mix of full time, part time and casual and adjust the casuals based on the number of children.  Low numbers, or in this case, no numbers reduces staffing costs.

There will also be no food costs, power bills, water bills, etc on that day.

I understand that it's standard.  It's also a reason that I didn't work on Mondays when I was casual and requiring childcare.

#16 Caribou

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:49 AM

Pretty standard THB, unless centre doesn't operate during school holidays and operates all year round, yes, you Will Be charged for for PH days even if your DD isn't in. It's the same as if she was sick on her FDC day. You still have to pay that too.

I don't think it's unfair, the fees are averages out and are based in the day you have booked her in for.

I think the FDC though, could have informed you if it is like what you said. Pretty sure when you filled in the forms, a t&cs would have been attached. Or they least been on for form around the fees and enrolment section.

#17 José

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

Another one who knows this to be standard. You need to take this into account when choosing which days your little one attends day care if you can.
Personally I think you shouldn't have to pay on public hols the cost should somehow be split between the days they are open. However, I am aware this isn't the case with the vast majority of centre/ FDC

#18 Nobodyelse

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:17 AM

Standard practice for us too. It is a bitter pill to swallow but I understand why it is the way it is.

#19 niggles

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:19 AM

Everyone does it. It sucks and it's why I don't work Mondays.

#20 Just Another Cat

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:24 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 31 January 2015 - 11:58 PM, said:

If their staff are salaried, that cost should be split over the days they are open.
If their staff are casual, they are not paying them for that day.

Agree. I know it's standard practice to charge for public holidays. I just don't understand why they don't average it out and charge everyone.

Why should a Monday child incur most of the public holiday costs when a Wednesday child incurs next to none.

DD was in daycare on Fridays only. It was annoying. I went to put DS in the same centre and all they could offer was Mondays, I said no.

#21 Nobodyelse

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostJust Another Cat, on 01 February 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

Agree. I know it's standard practice to charge for public holidays. I just don't understand why they don't average it out and charge everyone.

Why should a Monday child incur most of the public holiday costs when a Wednesday child incurs next to none.

DD was in daycare on Fridays only. It was annoying. I went to put DS in the same centre and all they could offer was Mondays, I said no.

Because then Wednesday's child will be paying more to pay for a day they don't attend. That wouldn't be fair either.

#22 No Drama Please

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

Standard for us too. We used to have to pay over the two week Christmas closure as well which really p*ssed me off as I had to try and come up with enough annual leave to stay home and pay for daycare as well! We didn't this year though.  I've now organised work so no working Mondays but that's the best you can do really.

#23 ali-song

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

View Postniggles, on 01 February 2015 - 06:19 AM, said:

Everyone does it. It sucks and it's why I don't work Mondays.

For me that would be false economy - I'm salaried and am paid more than daycare costs, so come out ahead if I work Mondays.

ETA: more explanation. If I'm paid, say $50/hour and daycare costs $100/day, if I didn't work Mondays I'd miss out on being paid for the public holiday. If I did work Mondays I'd still be $300 ahead for the day.

I agree with everyone else - it's galling to have to pay on a day the center is closed, but understandable for the reasons already mentioned. I am thankful not to have to pay during Christmas shutdown!

Edited by ali-song, 01 February 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#24 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

I don't see the issue and I say this as someone who has my child in care on a Monday and is a casual worker.

#25 Caribou

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

I think the issue to the op is she's new to all this and unaware of how childcare works.

OP, take this as a learning expirence. It's not going to be the last of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.