Charged full fees on Australia Day

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#126 silk

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostAli, on 21 February 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

????? My business income IS my income. My business doesn't get paid, I don't either. It's that simple. And out of the piddly amount of money I make comes all my business expenses, so not much left over.
It's a business, thats how they work. You just seem happy to push the burden of public holidays onto one subset of customers, and they accept it, for whatever reason.

I am only allowed to charge families (upfront) the gap fee after ccb and ccr come out, which means I don't get any pay for 3-4 weeks after care, until time sheets are processed. That is a massive financial hit for me, so one day for families to pay for care that they CHOOSE not to use, I will not feel bad about. Sorry. If you don't like it, don't sign the contract.
I didn't, and I wouldn't. It's your business, run it any way you like.

My kids went to a community preschool and I was always charged for Public Holidays because they fell on my contracted day. I never questioned it. It is what it is.
And that's your choice; It is only what it is, because you never questioned it.

#127 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

View Postsilk, on 21 February 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

It's a business, thats how they work. You just seem happy to push the burden of public holidays onto one subset of customers, and they accept it, for whatever reason.
I didn't, and I wouldn't. It's your business, run it any way you like.

And that's your choice; It is only what it is, because you never questioned it.
Do you get how sole traders work? Do you get a fdc career may make less then $7 an hour if they only have one child at any time (even if it's a different child and due to low numbers) in many councils there is a maximum they are allowed to charge and many councils deal with the enrolments. Lobby your council for a change but that would likely mean an increase in child care fees that would mean reaching the cap earlier.

#128 c.sanders

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:19 PM

Wow I can't believe this is still  going.

Yes it's a business but the business of looking after your precious children.
if people think this is unfair and don't want to pay for a few measly public holidays than don't send your kid that day to begin with whether it be a Tuesday or whatever. If less kids normally go than less staff would be rostered on those days and less people would be out of pocket. Simple. ....but I guess those same people would also want the benefit of the extra income they get for every time there isn't a public holiday...it's your choice and problems I dont see why every other parent has to shoulder it as well and also potentially reaching their threshold faster?? It would suck even more for those parents who have more than one child attending cc to have to pay for a service that they aren't impacted or benefited by.

#129 silk

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

I'm trying to think of another service industry that forces people to pay for a service that they know they can't use, with the threat of, take it or leave it.

c.sanders, i'm at a loss over your last paragraph...

I dont see why every other parent has to shoulder it as well and also potentially reaching their threshold faster?? It would suck even more for those parents who have more than one child attending cc to have to pay for a service that they aren't impacted or benefited by.
So you feel it is fairer to lump it onto the one parent, rather than share the load across all parents. As for a "service that they aren't impacted or benefited by", thats exactly whats happening here. They are paying for a non-existent service.

Anyway, Im pretty sure that this is going to just go in circles.

#130 MrsLexiK

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

View Postsilk, on 26 February 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

I'm trying to think of another service industry that forces people to pay for a service that they know they can't use, with the threat of, take it or leave it.

I said up thread my gym charged weekly basis and a public holiday usually meant I couldn't go in I never got a discount because of it if I didn't want to pay I could change gyms.

#131 Caribou

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

I think this thread needs to be closed. Like the PPs said. We're just going around in circles. I have no issues paying for PH if I have to. They work tirelessly to watch our kids for us for very little pay. They're doing the job often bc they love kids. its certainly not for the money.

Mods, think it might be time to close this thread?

#132 c.sanders

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

View Postsilk, on 26 February 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

c.sanders, i'm at a loss over your last paragraph...

So you feel it is fairer to lump it onto the one parent, rather than share the load across all parents. As for a "service that they aren't impacted or benefited by", thats exactly whats happening here. They are paying for a non-existent service.

Anyway, Im pretty sure that this is going to just go in circles.

Just to clarify I meant that for example there are approximately 45 or so Mondays you would send your kids to cc when you are benefiting from it compared to someone who never sends their child on a Monday. Hence what happens on a monday doesn't impact those not attending those days. They may have alternative arrangements and/or not work to look after their child on that day. They have made that choice to not use those particular days of the week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.